“Mom and Pop and Pups” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Delton Oaks Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Prices are for rooms, adults
Ranked #35 of 78 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
chicago
“Mom and Pop and Pups”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

I agree with the majority of the reviews. Delton Oaks is not fancy but is a great family and pet friendly hotel. Most of the guests we met had been coming for years. The lake is peaceful and our kids had as much fun, if not more, playing in the lake than at the water parks. The owners are very pleasant and accommodating. We would stay again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
East Enterprise
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

We just returned from a 9 hour trip from Indiana to the Dells. The owners of this resort were super friendly, and let me tell you, that was hard to find up there. They were one of the very few that we encountered who were that way.

The place is very quiet, and we loved that they are so pet friendly. It is very hard to find a place like that anymore, and it was much appreciated by us. It's a basic hotel room, but it was nice to have a fridge, microwave, dishes, and coffemaker in the room when a lot of newer hotels only have a coffermaker and none of the rest of the stuff mentioned.

If you don't need anything fancy, and want a gorgeous lake view, go here! All we cared about was a clean place to stay, and it was very clean. We will stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Burr Ridge, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

This is our second time at Delton Oaks, our Lab (LUKE) loves the place. Its not a 5 star resort, but for an enjoyable time with your pet its great. The resort is clean and the owners do their best to please, and the area of the Dells has something for everybody. We will return in the future for a third stay.
where our 130# well behaved LUKE was welcomed

Room Tip: Choose a Lakeside room ,best view and queen beds
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Delavan, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

I dont know what those other people are talking about how great it is, ITS TERRIBLY DISGUSTING. As soon as you walk a strong scent of moth balls or trailer park hits you in the face! The bathtubs had yellow rust all around the drain and the toilet has brown moldy looking marks along the rim. It was very gross and reminded me of one of those sleazy motels from a movie or something. This place might look nice to lower class people, but for people with high expectations dont expect much from this dirty motel. I WOULD NEVER STAY HERE AGAIN. As soon as i stepped in the room i turned around and didnt look back and left.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Owner at Delton Oaks Resort, responded to this review, June 24, 2012
I'm sorry that this guest was not happy with our rooms. She looked at the value room she reserved online and was unhappy with it, so I offered her a lakeside suite for the same price, but she was not happy with that room either. I refunded her deposit in full. We were almost completely booked the weekend she was here, so apparently lots of other people did not share her thoughts. As far as a moth ball smell--I have never used moth balls. Our resort is a "mom and pop" place in the Dells, which is only open in the summer. There is sometimes, in some rooms, a "closed-up" smell when first entering, that lasts only a short time before dissipating. We are not a new property, so if you are looking for jacuzzies and granite countertops, you should look elsewhere. We are proud of our lakeside resort and welcome longtime guests back year after year--some of whom have been coming every year since we took over 15 years ago and have become good friends. I take serious issue with this person's description of these long-time guests and wonderful people and friends as "lower-class people". Apparently she considers herself "upper-class"--but her name-calling tells a different story. I invite you to go to our website and read the guest reviews that I post as they are sent to me. Thank you for your time.
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

Upon arrival I did not think this review would go so well. But upon departure I left with a new respect for the owners and a definite promise of my return. This is how that happened...

I got a basic motel room for the night (not a condo or balcony room) and upon entering the room I saw the most basic of accomodations. There was a window A/C unit which functioned well and simple furnishings. The bathroom was clean and simple as well. Everything was a little worn but I found it to be acceptably clean. The room to me was just that... a room. I thought to myself that when I come back I would stay somewhere much nicer and be a little better to myself.

Then I took a look around the grounds of the resort. I saw fellow vacationers spending time together outside of their rooms and near the beach. Dogs were playing together. The pool was basic but big enough for kids to have some fun in. The beach was big enough for everyone to have fun as well. The resort supplies a regular rowboat and a paddle boat with the cost of the room which was a nice touch. Also, the resort sets up a bonfire nightly and allows vacationers to continue to place the supplied wood on the fire until after 11pm. They also supply the tools used to roast marshmallows and make smores.

Then I remembered why I came there in the first place. First, I had a 100+lb dog with me. He was readily accepted with a minimal charge (the charge is the same for any sized dog). This resort gave me the opportunity to take my dog into the water and let him enjoy something he loves. I also realized that most other resorts on the water would not be accepting my dog at all. The resorts on the lake are quite upscale anyway, and I was not willing to spend 300+ a night to stay in a place like that. I wanted something economical, and I wanted something on the water. I got that (and more) at Delton Oaks.

Delton Oaks is owned by a couple in their retirement years. They have found a way to make their business stand out among the classy waterside resorts. Their draw is they allow dogs and they allow families to afford a lakefront vacation at a fraction of the price. Kids don't care that their bed doesn't have a sleep number mattress, they just want to have fun. I rested quite easily when I stayed there as I enjoyed a long day of hiking and playing with my dog and enjoying the Dells at night. The point is, you should be out there having fun all day and it really won't matter where you lay your head at night. You want a clean place to lay your head, and this is what you get. Delton Oaks never claimed to have ritzy accomodations. That is not their claim to fame. What they do claim they come through with, you will be able to bring your dog or dogs and you will have nice grounds with plenty of free activities as well as be able to make new friends.

The actual motel could certainly use an update, but it will do as is for now. Remember, Lake Delton drained a few years ago and ruined the local economy in the Dells, especially for lake side businesses. These businesses did not receive monies from local government, insurance companies or tax deductions. Businesses are still recovering from this, and fortunately for the owners of Delton Oaks, I and many others will return for the hospitality provided and the excellent surroundings.

Room Tip: If you don't want to be in tight quarters, consider upgrading from the basic motel room
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

We just left the resort this morning.

The good - The location is awesome. The beach is nice. The pool is nice.

The so so - On our arrival we thought it smelled musty or moth balls. Maybe it was regular lake smell. We went out and bought air freshners. The bedrooms did not cool with the air conditioner so we bought some fans.

The more so-so. Wallpaper needs to be replaced. Reception on tv was not too great.
Needs to put screens in bedroom so you could have a nice breese off the lake.

The beds were a little hard but we were so tired that most of the nights it did not matter.

It is a old resort and things need some help but overall we did enjoy ourselves and were sad to leave.

Room Tip: Bring fans in the summer.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
delton22, Owner at Delton Oaks Resort, responded to this review, August 24, 2011
We're glad that this guest had a great time at our resort, despite their problems with our property. And the pictures they posted were wonderful, and showed the beautiful lake views and beach we offer with our rooms. This guest wrote us a terrific personal review that we posted on our website. We invite you to go there to read the wonderful comments about their time at the resort that were not included in their Trip Advisor review, which, unfortunately, was mostly filled with negatives. We freely admit that we are not a new property--no granite countertops for us. But, if you're looking for a family resort, with beautiful lake frontage, where you can bring your dog and kids and have a great, old-fashioned family vacation, we invite you to give us a try. Again, please visit our webpage to read dozens of reviews from our many loyal and happy guests.
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

Just because we were bringing dogs, does not mean we wanted to live like dogs! Do not waste your money! This was our family's only vacation this year and we were very disappointed with what we got for the money. Extremely old facility, as well as very dirty!! Our room reeked of urine and there was urine on the floor in the bathroom. The tub didn't drain properly, towels caked with food and the kitchenette was filthy. If we wouldn't have been there with 3 other families and all of our dogs, I would have demanded our money back and went elsewhere. I did not bother to complain after finding out everyone elses was just as dirty and out of date.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Delton Oaks Resort? Share your experiences!