“Basic accommodations enhanced by extras/surroundings” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Delton Oaks Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Delton Oaks Resort
You added Delton Oaks Resort to your Saves list
730 E Hiawatha Dr., Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Ranked #36 of 80 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Chicago, IL
“Basic accommodations enhanced by extras/surroundings”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

Upon arrival I did not think this review would go so well. But upon departure I left with a new respect for the owners and a definite promise of my return. This is how that happened...

I got a basic motel room for the night (not a condo or balcony room) and upon entering the room I saw the most basic of accomodations. There was a window A/C unit which functioned well and simple furnishings. The bathroom was clean and simple as well. Everything was a little worn but I found it to be acceptably clean. The room to me was just that... a room. I thought to myself that when I come back I would stay somewhere much nicer and be a little better to myself.

Then I took a look around the grounds of the resort. I saw fellow vacationers spending time together outside of their rooms and near the beach. Dogs were playing together. The pool was basic but big enough for kids to have some fun in. The beach was big enough for everyone to have fun as well. The resort supplies a regular rowboat and a paddle boat with the cost of the room which was a nice touch. Also, the resort sets up a bonfire nightly and allows vacationers to continue to place the supplied wood on the fire until after 11pm. They also supply the tools used to roast marshmallows and make smores.

Then I remembered why I came there in the first place. First, I had a 100+lb dog with me. He was readily accepted with a minimal charge (the charge is the same for any sized dog). This resort gave me the opportunity to take my dog into the water and let him enjoy something he loves. I also realized that most other resorts on the water would not be accepting my dog at all. The resorts on the lake are quite upscale anyway, and I was not willing to spend 300+ a night to stay in a place like that. I wanted something economical, and I wanted something on the water. I got that (and more) at Delton Oaks.

Delton Oaks is owned by a couple in their retirement years. They have found a way to make their business stand out among the classy waterside resorts. Their draw is they allow dogs and they allow families to afford a lakefront vacation at a fraction of the price. Kids don't care that their bed doesn't have a sleep number mattress, they just want to have fun. I rested quite easily when I stayed there as I enjoyed a long day of hiking and playing with my dog and enjoying the Dells at night. The point is, you should be out there having fun all day and it really won't matter where you lay your head at night. You want a clean place to lay your head, and this is what you get. Delton Oaks never claimed to have ritzy accomodations. That is not their claim to fame. What they do claim they come through with, you will be able to bring your dog or dogs and you will have nice grounds with plenty of free activities as well as be able to make new friends.

The actual motel could certainly use an update, but it will do as is for now. Remember, Lake Delton drained a few years ago and ruined the local economy in the Dells, especially for lake side businesses. These businesses did not receive monies from local government, insurance companies or tax deductions. Businesses are still recovering from this, and fortunately for the owners of Delton Oaks, I and many others will return for the hospitality provided and the excellent surroundings.

Room Tip: If you don't want to be in tight quarters, consider upgrading from the basic motel room
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

We just left the resort this morning.

The good - The location is awesome. The beach is nice. The pool is nice.

The so so - On our arrival we thought it smelled musty or moth balls. Maybe it was regular lake smell. We went out and bought air freshners. The bedrooms did not cool with the air conditioner so we bought some fans.

The more so-so. Wallpaper needs to be replaced. Reception on tv was not too great.
Needs to put screens in bedroom so you could have a nice breese off the lake.

The beds were a little hard but we were so tired that most of the nights it did not matter.

It is a old resort and things need some help but overall we did enjoy ourselves and were sad to leave.

Room Tip: Bring fans in the summer.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
delton22, Owner at Delton Oaks Resort, responded to this review, August 24, 2011
We're glad that this guest had a great time at our resort, despite their problems with our property. And the pictures they posted were wonderful, and showed the beautiful lake views and beach we offer with our rooms. This guest wrote us a terrific personal review that we posted on our website. We invite you to go there to read the wonderful comments about their time at the resort that were not included in their Trip Advisor review, which, unfortunately, was mostly filled with negatives. We freely admit that we are not a new property--no granite countertops for us. But, if you're looking for a family resort, with beautiful lake frontage, where you can bring your dog and kids and have a great, old-fashioned family vacation, we invite you to give us a try. Again, please visit our webpage to read dozens of reviews from our many loyal and happy guests.
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

Just because we were bringing dogs, does not mean we wanted to live like dogs! Do not waste your money! This was our family's only vacation this year and we were very disappointed with what we got for the money. Extremely old facility, as well as very dirty!! Our room reeked of urine and there was urine on the floor in the bathroom. The tub didn't drain properly, towels caked with food and the kitchenette was filthy. If we wouldn't have been there with 3 other families and all of our dogs, I would have demanded our money back and went elsewhere. I did not bother to complain after finding out everyone elses was just as dirty and out of date.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
MI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2010

When you travel with a pet it’s very difficult to find a hotel to stay at. It’s even harder when you have a very large dog. Many hotels will accommodate small breeds, but not large. Delton Oaks takes them all. We were pleased to find this hotel and they allow you to leave the dogs unattended in the room. We took a crate and locked our dog up during the day. He was safe in air conditioning and we didn’t need to worry about him in a hot car when we had fun.

We had a great time in the Dells and loved being able to use a pool or the lake as well at this facility. The playground is great for young children and was very clean. They have multiple grills you can use for a cookout, which is great when you want to save some money and not go out to eat all the time. There are also reasonable sized refrigerators in the room for your use.

The down falls were there was some damage to the rooms from dogs on previous stays, the rooms were dated, and the beds were old. The mattresses were dated as well and not very comfortable. When you stay here though you need to remember it is close to the tourist activities and it allows pets. There is going to be damage in the rooms from previous stays and barking/whining during the day from other animals. You need to be prepared for the convenience they offer and understand they cater to pets. You need to have reasonable expectations when you stay here. All this said, we enjoyed our stay and would stay here again when traveling with our dog.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2009

Bill and Kate are very nice people, but they need to inspect after the cleaning team has gone through. Dirt in corners and under beds. Also, our unit smelled of mold. You couldn't find sweeter people, or a nicer location. Just tighten up the cleanlinesss standards.

I would recommend this only if I knew for sure it had been completely scrubbed. It's a super place for an old-fashioned vacation, and they allow pets, which is rare in the Dells.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
rbsouthpaw76
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2009

I just wanted to thank Bill and Kate Pettit for such a wonderful stay at their resort. This place is exactly what a vacation should be! It's an older more rustic place and has a beautiful sandy beach, paddle boats, a raft in the lake and slide leading right into Lake Delton, along with row boats. This was an ideal old fashioned vacation which had all its perks and more. We stayed in the economy Building which is located 150 ft from the Lake and the room was very cozy. I was so impressed because yrs ago we stayed at a family resort located right on the lake and it is no longer in business, Delton Oaks had alot of similar qualities that this other place had and I fell in love with the view the amenties that it did have to offer. A wonderful heated outdoor pool, a bonfire at night time, volleyball and the most important thing of all the Lake Delton. Bill and Kate gave me the chance to enjoy a family style vacation with my children and I am so greatful that we came upon this wonderful and very family oriented resort. It is a smaller and less extravagent resort but I would rather stay here and build many memories with my children and come back each year than not to enjoy myself else where such as the more expensive places that don't offer you a old fashioned vacation like Delton Oaks Resort did for me and my family. Thank you once again Kate and Bill for giving my children and I a wonderful vacation. Sincerely Erin

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
MN
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2009

This place was gross. The rooms smelled terrible, the pool was poorly maintained, and the bugs were a plenty, everywhere. I'm an outdoors person, so I can roll with all that pretty good though. What really bothered me is that they claimed to be pet friendly but if I had a dog of a certain breed, I wasn't welcome. I will never stay there again due to that. I don't do business with ignorant, hateful, insecure people. To top it off, I've already met three people who have had the owner: Kate, be especially rude to them when they politely asked permission to bring their well-behaved dog to the resort during their stay. Pet friendly nothing, this place isn't friendly at all. Don't spend your money here if any of this bothers you.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends

Been to Delton Oaks Resort? Share your experiences!