“Dated, dirty, and definitely not worth the money” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Monaco Motel and Suites

We can't find prices for this hotel
Monaco Motel and Suites
You added Monaco Motel and Suites to your Saves list
1310 Wisconsin Dells Pkwy., Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Ranked #43 of 80 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Aurora, Illinois
“Dated, dirty, and definitely not worth the money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

Outside area was nice...but only because it got you out of the room.

Outdated is putting it mildly, all amentities on the interior look like they have not been updated since 1970.

Bathrooms had visbile mildew build up, towels were stained and ripped, AC did not work properly (they unplug it to save money so room is exceptionally hot when you arrive), room smelled musty, carpet was supposed to be red, but was black with dirt through the traffic areas, the sheets did not fit the mattress, the comforter was placed on the floor upon our arrival due to its filthy condition. Get the point???

Some words of advice...save some money and stay elsewhere, or stay home.

Free waterpark tickets are not enticing enough to bring us back to this dump.

This was our first trip to the Dells, and unfortunately it was a trip we would prefer to forget because of the Monaco.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

The room just didn't cut it. The outdoor pool was very nice, large, and it looked clean. There was a good size picnic area with grills and we saw families enjoying it. There was also an attractive indoor pool, hot tub, sauna and game room. I felt the water in the indoor pool and it was warm, not icy cold like some motels keep their pools. The location of the motel was also good for families going to Noah's Ark or any restaurants or activities along that strip. When it came to the room, there were some things that bothered me. It did smell funny, and as other reviewers have mentioned, the air conditioner was not running. That was OK, I just plugged it in and it worked great. So great in fact that I woke up freezing at 5:30 a.m. The only way to adjust the air conditioner was to turn on the lights and stand on a chair to see and reach the knobs. That did it! Could not sleep after that. Other things that weren't so great: no clock radio, tiny bars of soap that break into little slivers after only a few hand washings, only one small, thin bath towel per person. (You also got one thin hand towel & washcloth per person). I didn't mind so much that the decor was so outdated, but I minded the stains on the chairs and the stains on the really ugly carpet. The room may have been clean, but the stains made it seem dirty. The blanket on the bed did not even cover my shoulders and I'm on the short side. The second day we were there the maid cleaned up while we were gone. New linens and soap, but she left the plastic glasses that we used and did not give us new ones. We could not even have 2 new cheap, plastic glasses...really? There was a note on the mirror warning guests that they would be charged for any missing towels. I'm guessing that people take towels regularly? Maybe that is why guests get so few? My husband mentioned the towels and soap at checkout and the lady was very pleasant and assured him that they would have brought us more towels and soap if we had asked. Point taken - it is true that we did not ask. We were in the Dells to visit friends who have a cabin on the lake, and we spent all of our time there. We only went to the motel to sleep, and the Monaco was close to their cabin. I thought that we would be OK with the room because I didn't want to spend a lot of money just to sleep there. I was wrong. I want nicer towels and enough of them, a clock radio with a digital display that I can see during the night, soap that is not in little slivers, a blanket that is long enough for the bed, air conditioning that I can adjust during the night without a big ordeal, a shower curtain that does not stick to me as I try to shower, and furniture and carpet that are not so stained that it makes me cringe. I also really appreciate a coffee pot in the room, but I knew that the Monaco doesn't provide one when I booked the room (just saying). I wish that I had spent a bit more and booked the kind of motel room that I would have liked. I would have given the Monaco a lower rating if it weren't for the pools and outdoor area that were maintained well. The Wisconsin Dells motels are pretty expensive during the summer, so families on a budget may want to consider the Monaco for the location, pools, etc. if they do not mind the things that I have mentioned.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Oak Lawn, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

Monaco motel was average. But what do you expect for a cheap price. We usually stay in hotels but we planned this trip rather late and didnt want to pay outrageous prices for others. It included passes to Chula Vista.....we were not impressed by them. The outdoor water park is a joke. consists of maybe 3 slides a tiny pool kiddie area and sand area they call a "beach" with no water attached??? Indoor park was ok we mainly stayed in the "lazy river". But thats about it. The actual motel ehh.... biggest complaint is drunk people at later times thinking they own the whole pool and diving off diving board not giving you a chance to swim over at all. They almost got knocked out! but we wouldnt reccommend this to people/

Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

The monaco motel is a great place to stay more numerous reasons. This is our second year spending july 4th in wisconsin dells, we decided last year to make it a tradition. After staying at the carousel inn and suites the first year (nasty hotel, WOULD NOT RECCOMEND) we saw the monaco motel and booked it way in advance. We were able to check in a half hour early. The room was very cold, the air conditioner was turned on and was ice cold! felt very nice!! the room felt very clean and comfortable to me! everything was outdated from the drapes to the wall pictures but who cares.. the room was clean and it didnt feel nasty at all. For everything being a lil old and outdated it was in great shape! no gross stains or rips and tears.The best was super comfy and as another review said the pillows were pretty flat. but i called and asked for extra pillows and that was perfect! this motel had a fridge and a microwave which was wonderful since your on vacation and can eat left overs to save money as another meal! BIG PLUS! the bathroom was very very clean! the only thing i didnt like about it was when showering for some reason the shower curtain when tucked inside the tub likes its suppose too, would get blown in by some mysterious air and pretty much wrap around your body.. i didnt like the feeling of that and when you pushed it off it would just come right back. so to fix that it was easy.. i just put the shower curtain on the outside of the tub, water got on the floor but it was nothing i couldnt wipe up! I loved the fact that there was a sliding glass door next to the front door to go outside by the chairs outside of the front door, yeah it seemed a little silly to have that right next to the other door but who cares, i loved the huge floor to ceiling windows the door created in the room. all in all, we are already planning out next trip to this hotel next year.. it was truely fun and comfortable! we stayed from tuesday july 3rd to saturday july 7th.. i kinda wish check out was later on in the day so we could have stayed LONGER which is weird considering usually just a weekend at a hotel makes me GLAD to leave and wanna go home but in this case the motel felt just as nice as home! thank you monaco for creating a place such a nice motel!! also the pool was great! They had tables by the pool with umbrella's and really cool dolphin slides. I noticed every night when the pool closed the owner would go lock it up and he would straighen out the chairs and put down the umbrellas and tidy up the area.. those little things are a huge sign of how well the place is taken care of.. those little things go a long long way! the bbq area was also great! the picnic tables were in great shape! and the bbq's were clean and looked brand new! the ONLY negative thing i have to say about the room actually was under the bed in between the night stand and the bed it could have been vaccumed.. thats about it! on our yearly dells trip next year, you can bet we will be staying here again!!!!!!!!!!!! the hotel is right on the parkway across from mr. pancake (a must eat for breakfast)

Stickney, Il.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

If you are very picky, this is definitely not the place for you.

CONS: The room decor (Furniture, Walls, Bedsheets, Carpet) is very dated and the beds/pillows are just barely Ok. I personally love the room to be COLD and the area the A/C is in, is not great.

*PROS*: The room was clean when we arrived. The Bathroom was very clean with good working shower. Large patio type sliding doors with nice view overlooking pool area. We enjoyed the pool very much. Pool water was heated with two slides and a diving board. Pool went from very shallow to 9' at the deep end. Tables w/umbrellas and plenty of lounges were available poolside and music over loudspeakers were a great touch. We received free passes to Chula Vista Indoor/Outdoor waterpark for everyday of our stay and received 40% discount for Noahs Ark Waterpark which was right next to the motel. The location of Monaco motel is walking, or very short driving distance to everything.
** ROOM 268 **

Buffalo Grove, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We wanted to get away for a few nights and most of the places in the area were already booked..The Monaco had a few rooms left so we booked one..it was so cheap...we were first a wee bit worried on how would it be...The room was immaculate and so was the bathroom...the grounds were just as clean as well as the pool areas and picnic areas...at check in they give you coupons for the local restaurants and attractions and a buy one get one free discount card and we also received free passes for Chula Vista indoor/outdoor water areas...for each day we were there..Thats the kind of place we like...Great Prices, Very Very Clean, and local discounts/passes...

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
LECLAIRE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

This wonderfully 60's or 70's motel reflects the Wisconsin Dells better than anything I can imagine. This is what the Dells were like in the early days; with motor courts and small Mom 'n Pop motels (if you don't believe me, go to the Bennett Museum and look at their photographs). If you're looking for a lovely Hotel with 800 thread count bedding, and a concierge, this place isn't for you, but it was PERFECT for us. Older? Yes. It looked like the 70's, with green and white tile in the bathrooms, porcelain towel racks, funky 1970's furniture, a 21" television (I wasn't in the room long enough to watch it, however everything worked (including the ice cold air conditioner on the record-breaking 4th of July). Very clean rooms, sparkling clean pool, and management that absolutely knows what they're doing.
Walking distance to Noah's Ark, where my 7 year-old grandson and his Dad had the time of their lives, within walking distance or a short drive from some outstanding restaurants (fabulous lobster at the Embers and a wonderful 32 oz. steak near the lake). The big pancake house is a rip-off; walk the other direction and eat breakfast at the other place. No coffee pots in the rooms and coffee not available until 8 AM, so, I brought my own coffee pot (I do that in Vegas as well, because their coffee pots are so tiny).
If you haven't been to the Dells before (and we hadn't), it appears in the Travel and Attraction Guides that Mt. Olympus and it's four "village" properties are all connected to the Mt. Olympus water park - they are NOT. You can't get any closer to a water park than the Monaco (except maybe for Chula Vista Resort which I'm sure has 800 thread bedding, but leaves much to be desired in the way of pools, cleanliness and things for adults).
My single room at the Monaco had two sinks, a refrigerator, a microwave and a hairdryer. The rooms were virtually soundproof and the air (although kind of a funky-looking odd contraption) was ice cold in 104 degree heat. The pool was immaculate and management was warm, helpful, welcoming and efficient. (I couldn't find one of my keys and they simply asked me to mail it when I found it - which I did).
If your idea of fun is "fancy five-stars", the Monaco isn't for you. If you want to really experience The Dells, and some of it's vintage funkiness, you won't be disappointed with the Monaco. We met some people from Illinois who had returned for eight years in a row! We'll sure see them next year!

Room Tip: Although there is no smoking in the rooms, patio chairs and sand ashtrays are provided for the rooms...