“OK, reasonably priced but kind of worn” 2 of 5 stars

Wintergreen Resort & Conference Center
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Gasser Road, Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Ranked #24 of 80 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Chicago
“OK, reasonably priced but kind of worn”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2008

We payed about 126 for a family room w/2 queens and a sofa bed. The mattresses on the beds were very soft and 'mushed' down as soon as you sat on one. I have arthritis in my back and was unable to sleep for more than 4 hours on one. The sofa "bed" was worse - its mattress was so flattened out that you could feel the big support bar running underneath it. Our 2 teenage sons woke up sore and crabby after 1 night and refused to sleep on it again. We complained to the desk and they offered us some extra blankets to pad the mattress. The TV service did not have many channels, and the TV was small. The balcony floor was peeling paint. The indoor pool was VERY warm, like a giant hot tub, but clean. The outdoor pool was warm (but not too warm), but the big slide there was only open about 2 hours each day since they had to hire 2 lifeguards to stand by it whenever kids were using it. Our younger kids were very disappointed. DON"T TRY the restaurant!!! We order omelets and they grilled them in some kind of strange grease that tasted awful. The cheese omelet had almost no cheese, and service was marginal.

• Liked — Proximity to Dells attractions & restaurants, free tickets to Mt. Olympus
  • Disliked — Beds, Restaurant, Internet service,
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2008

I read the reviews for this hotel and it was mostly true. The beds were ROCK hard. I could not wait to go home to sleep in my bed. But the pool and water activity were geared toward young children, I don't think if you had children above above five they will enjoy their stay here. The location is o.k. but you can do better if you have older children or no children at all.

• Liked — location for young children
  • Disliked — the beds
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
kristin689
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2008

My 2 best friends and I stayed at the Wintergreen for 2 nights. Because we went during midweek, each night was $127. We also recieved 2 free tickets to Mount Olympus, and a 50% off voucher for each additional ticket to M.O. The hotel was nice but the hallways are either freezing cold or humid. The hotel has 1 computer in the lobby with free internet use, but the internet is slower than any other computer I've been on before. The pool was fun; the water temperature was absolutely amazing, along with the jacuzzis. The staff was also nice; my friend lost her key card at the pool so I traded in my key card too and we got new keys without any hassle. The beds were comfy, except that the pillows were flat, uneven on one side, and just plain uncomfortable. The tv was kind of small with few channels, but that didn't really bother us since we were out of the room most of the time. Also, there was no type of rubber shower mat on the bottom of the tub, so my friends and I almost fell literally 10 times because it was so slippery. Overall, I liked the hotel. It was clean, fun, and a good time.

• Liked — pools, customer service
  • Disliked — hotel room temperature
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
St. Louis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2008

My 7 year old daughter & I stayed her one night prior to checking into the Great Wolf Lodge. We were able to walk right in and get a room on the first floor for 72.00 (AAA Discount). The did have an indoor & outdoor pool with a small slide. It was a nice enough place to relax after a long drive. They didn't have a restaurant available after 2:00 p.m. so we had to drive somewhere else to eat. The room was pretty basic, no frills, but considering how much other hotels cost in the area, 72.00 wasn't too bad. The staff was pleasant but didn't really seem too outgoing.

• Liked — Location & pool
  • Disliked — Staff not that personable
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2008

We were unable to check in early, check in time is 4:00, I am betting the extra time they need is not to clean & maintain the rooms. When we were finally allowed to check in, I refused to stay in the first room we were given, it was supposed to be non smoking and smelled badly of smoke and some other funk (body odor?), it had a smaller TV in the room than we have in our bedroom at home. We were then given another room, which smelled a little better, but still wasn't great. The fridge and microwave were smaller than you would find in your average college dorm. We were furnished two of the flattest pillows on each queen bed. I was afraid to walk on the floor without wearing shoes. We were graced with the presence hair in the tub that wasn't from us. In general, it was just were dirty, small & badly needed updates (I have never seen furniture so beat up before or the need for wall paper to be replaced). On our second day there I had to go to the front desk to get more coffee & cups because they were not put in our room as well as additional pool towels (which by the way were about the size of a cocktail napkin). The front desk seemed annoyed that I asked for them. The pool water was cold, the whirlpool wasn't very warm & the kiddie pool needed an update. We were unable to use the outdoor playground because it was chained shut.

On the key card holder, it encouraged the kids to join their club to get all kinds of great things. I went to the front desk to see what they had, she gave me a sheet of coupons, half of which had already expired.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — How Dirty & Small it was
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Portage, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2008

We stayed here 2 nights in our Spring visit to Wisconsin Dells.
The first night I was very positive. I watched Bridgett Jones's Diary Part Two on the tv that had so little channels. I also enjoyed the balcony. Watching the sunset and writing in my journal was the very picture of perfect. That day I also made myself comfortable in the chairs on the second story and overheard the desk manager talking on the phone. He said, "Yeah we're tottaly overpricing people for these rooms." And then he laughed. I was kind of disturbed by that even though we got a good deal on our room through some sort of website and plus, it was spring break. So I guess that's a good reason to overprice people and make some money.

The pool was nice. I played on the kids slide.(Even though I was 17.) The sauna didn't exactly get warm. It was bizarre.

The bed was TERRIBLE. I could not sleep at all. I fell asleep around 1 a.m. and woke up at 5 a.m. The same thing happened the second night. And I had just gone to the hospital for passing out and having a siezure, so that just added on to the discomfort.

That's all there is to it. The balcony's nice. The pools ok. The second morning we went to the restaurant and that was ok. But what we really payed for, the bed, to get rest, was terrible.

• Liked — The Balcony
  • Disliked — The Bed
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
Milwaukee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2008

My friend and I walked into the Wintergreen after shopping all day at the mall, which is right next door. The lady at the front desk, she had a Boston accent, was so fun and friendly that we felt like we were visiting home! Because of her welcoming attitude and the fair rate, we decided to stay. Our room was clean and when we asked for extra pillows and blankets, the same woman who checked us in brought them down immediately. She also gave us 10% off coupons for breakfast the next morning in the on-site restaurant. Overall, we had a really great stay. If I return to the Dells, I will definitely stay again and I hope the friendly woman at the front desk will be there to greet me!

• Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Wintergreen Resort & Conference Center? Share your experiences!