“Overall experience was fine but?” 3 of 5 stars

You added Wintergreen Resort & Conference Center to your Saves list
Wintergreen Resort & Conference Center
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   60 Gasser Road, Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Ranked #23 of 77 hotels in Wisconsin Dells
“Overall experience was fine but?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I arrived a bit early and had been feeling quite poorly for a few days. My husband was to join me the next day after attending a train show in Milwaukee.
I was greeted by a very nice hospitality coordinator @ the front desk. (Patty) I told her that I don't use names in my reviews but I must make an exception here because she was so friendly and accommodating. Obviously a woman that enjoys her work and cares about customer care and quality service.
She explained that I was a bit early but the room was ready. Because of me being unwell she offered me the room immediately.
The room was quite large with two beds and had the amenities I adore when traveling. Fridge, Microwave, etc....very clean and elegantly decorated room. I was hesitant about our room being so close to the front desk but the staff was always quiet and courteous about that.
It is easier and more cost effective to go to the local Walmart to get supplies and some food items if you are to stay for awhile. They do have a nice restaurant/grille on site, however.

I had one major complaint. I absolutely refuse to tolerate rude staff. I don't care what your personal life contains....when you work you leave your snottiness and childlike attitude @ home. I found these qualities in the middle of the night.
As stated I couldn't sleep because the mattresses were very firm and I'm nocturnal. My iPad was working fine with the hotel Wi-Fi. But it doesn't have Adobe Flash and I had a e-card in my email that I wanted to see. I felt maybe it would cheer me up a bit. What was to follow didn't make me feel better at all.
I decided to ask if the hotel had a public computer. I approached the desk and there was a younger woman sitting there. Immediately she presented herself like I was inconveniencing her for asking about a public computer. Before I even got to the computer she stated "Don't mess with the settings". I was stunned that this sarcastic and obviously displaced desk person was having serious attitude issues. I responded by saying that I don't make it a practice to alter the settings on computers that don't belong to me.
I was using the computer and needed to ask if there was sound because I couldn't hear anything from the e-card. She stated "Do you see any speakers"? I was appalled! I finished up and logged out and went back to my room being not only sick and tired but now very upset. I don't know why this woman is working in the hospitality industry. It's apparent from her manner that she isn't happy with her job and isn't in any way a people person.
We left a day early for several reasons but (Patty) was the shining light in this whole stay here and we would come back only in knowing that the woman that works nights had been moved to another department or maybe on days where her horrific people skills can be monitored and perhaps a more suitable job can be found for her. I would have given this beautiful hotel a higher rating but customer service is almost everything.

Room Tip: If you like a hard/firm mattress then you will be fine. Me? Not so much. We have a TemPur Pedic Matt...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Wintergreen2285, Manager at Wintergreen Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
We are so sorry you had a bad experience with the night auditor at the hotel. We strive to have all of our employees be friendly and caring. We are glad to hear that Patty was able to show you how all or our employees should attempt to care of our guests.

406 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Stoddard, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I stayed at the Wintergreen for 3 days in November, 2012. The staff were all very accommadating. Gary the bartender was exceptional. He was both entertaining and welcoming. We really enjoyed spending some time in the very nice lounge after 8 hours of conference time.
The food provided by the restraurant was excellant. My only suggestion would be to update the big rose wallpaper through out the hotel.

Room Tip: I had a room on the south end of the 2nd floor so it was very convenient to use the stairs to get to...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Wintergreen2285, Manager at Wintergreen Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Thank you for your comments on our hotel. We're glad you were able to take advantage of the different aspects of our facility after your long day of meetings. The staff do whatever they can to make you feel comfortable and welcome in the resort.

We appreciate your advice, however, the rose wallpaper is part of the vintage victorian theme throughout the hotel. We are constantly renovating as needed, but the flowers you see do fall into that category.

We are glad you enjoyed your stay. We hope you will come back and visit us again (maybe when you can enjoy yourself and not just to sit in meetings all day.) Thank you again.
Bozeman, Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

While driving from Massachusetts to the west coast, we pulled off the highway for gas and decided to see what hotels were available in Wisconsin Dells at 10:30pm. The receptionist at the enormous Kalahari resort nearby quoted us at a price that was out of our price range, and recommended the Wintergreen as a more economical option. The Wintergreen Resort was empty and immaculate, despite their very competetive rates. The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful, and gave us discount coupons for area attractions, and personally called to inquire about schedules and make reservations for us. The Tanger Mall is right next door, and the Wintergreen's staff also helped secure discount coupons for us there. We don't usually "do" malls, but the prices and discounts made it well worth it to spend some time outfitting ourselves for the winter. We have never experienced friendliness to the degree of the staff in the mall and in the Wintergreen resort. On voicing this to the mall manager we were told, "Welcome to Wisconsin!" During our two-night stay, we drove to some great local restaurants very nearby, and walked to the huge restaurant and family fun center next door, Buffalo Phil's. The food and service there were great. Also next door are an old-fashioned candy, fudge, cheese and soda shop, and a McDonald's. Everything about the Wintergeen Resort was highly satisfying, and we recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
We appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your experience at the Wintergreen. We're glad you notice all the hard work we put into making this a comfortable, affordable, yet nice place to get away to. The location is excellent as you pointed out several of the nearby benefits. The staff do whatever they can to make our guests feel comfortable and to accomodate them appropriately. We are so happy you noticed our staff going out of their way for you. We hope you will come enjoy "Wisconsin" again soon and stay with us again. Thank you for your review.
Zimmerman, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

We checked in to this hotel after a very long day of travelling and a bad traffic experience. We were greeted with a friendly receptionist and given a very comfortable room. It was a great experience and I would recommend this hotel to everyone.

Room Tip: Our room had two queen beds so it was family friendly. There was a fridge and microwave which came...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your positive review! We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Please come back and see us again soon!
Janesville, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

We didn't know anything about the Wintergreen, except the pictures on the internet. Sometimes these can be deceiving, but in this case they weren't. The staff was wonderful,the facilities indoor and out were clean, our room had all the amenities you would want, the bed very comfortable, the patio doors lead to a lovely patio/grassy area and the location excellent! Right in the immediate area were family/chain restaurants, one restaurant that served the food on little trains, a great arcade, not to mention the outlet mall. We were looking for an indoor water park for young children (under 8). This hotel is perfect. Although we were looking for a family spot, my husband and I so enjoyed it, that we will be going back again, alone. Even though the Wintergreen is a Resort and Conference Center, it has 109 single rooms, and one with three bedrooms. Therefore, you are not surrounded by hundreds of people, and having to walk distances to get to the water facilities. This gets a no. 1 rating in our book, and we have been to many places to compare it too. :o)

Room Tip: Rooms facing the interior get the morning sun, and the ones facing the parking lot receive the after...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for the kind words about our resort. We work very hard to keep our guests happy and are glad you noticed the hard work our housekeeping do to keep our resort clean. The courtyard area is a great feature and can be great during the summer months as well to lead directly to the outdoor pool areas. We appreciate our returning guests and cannot wait for you to return! Thank you again for taking the time to review your stay with us.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Great location! Beds comfortable! Nice shower. Carpet needs replacing- room itself could be updated but well worth it for the price we paid. The front desk staff were so cheerful and helpful! The location is excellent - near the outlet mall, UNO, Culvers and a darling shop Cranberry Connections right near UNO.

• Stayed October 2012
We are so thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us. We are constantly doing renovations to our hotel as needed and appreciate your input. We are very convenient to places to eat along with many attractions in the area (being right off the interstate). Thank you for your positive feedback.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Our accommondations at the Wintergreen were wonderful. The resort staff was great from the minute we arrived, to the morning that we checked out. We even stayed an extra night. Our stay was amazing and we really enjoyed the indoor pool and poolside bar. The staff was awesome and made great drinks in the bar. We ate breakfast in the restaurant and it was very good as well. The services was great, the resort was very clean, the room was very nice, and a great place to stay. We really loved it and will definitely come back to the Wintergreen again. Thanks again to all of the staff, especially Ashley, who was very helpful !

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a few words about your stay at our resort. We are glad you enjoyed the amenities within the the building as well including our lounge and restauant on site. We're glad our employees were able to help make your trip enjoyable as well. We can't wait to have you come back!

Been to Wintergreen Resort & Conference Center? Share your experiences!