“not a bad little place” 4 of 5 stars

Skyline Hotel & Suites
1970 Wisconsin Dells Pkwy., Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Ranked #64 of 80 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
“not a bad little place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

Our room was clean. Beds were a little on the firm side, but not bad. My kids loved the Continental Breakfast where u got to make your own waffles. For the price I think it was fine. We got free passes to Chula Vista and also to mount Olympus Waterparks and only had to pay an additional $10 each to upgrade to the amusement park. Person at Front desk even gave us heads up to walk across street to olympus as they charge $10 to park there (ridiculous). We will probably be back if the kids want to go to olympus again as I will not pay full price to go there.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Sterling, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

Upon Our Arrival, We were pleasantly greeted and given room keys. The First Room was not cleaned, bed linen had not been changed, pizza box on floor. 2nd Room keys I was given smelled like mildew and had a little kids table where a pull out coach was suppose to have been, The Mang. stated the Room was just SPRAYED FOR BUGS!! (Really want to say that to an incoming Guest). 3rd Time at the Desk I am now excorted by Mang. she Rolled her Eyes at me. I noticed their hotel motto "Our Family taking care of your Family". We were given "free passes" to Mt.Olympus. Staff said it was a special promo, Next day went up to get them again and were told they were mad at Mt. Olympus for a promotion they were running that they were not asked to participate in, so they were able to get the code and offer it to all of their hotel guest and print it on-line for them to walk over to the park for FREE. (poor business practice if you ask Me). Later that night my girls used the slide in the pool, Both of them their bottom suitswuits were RIPPED so badly they must be thrown out. Staff didn't seem to know what to do or say. Next Morning a comment was made about my Girls causing all the late night ruckus, clearing that was not My ROOM seeing all of us were in BED & heard it! Again not good to comment to your Guest aquissing them of this kind of behavior. Following Night 10:45 I'm walking down the hall only to go to my room where 10 girls are misbehaving from a basketball team(No Coach Around), knocking on doors up & down the hallway(these must have been the GIRL looking for earlier).I'm 5 rooms down the hall from front desk...REAlly they aren't going to say anything..So I did, these girls were extremely disrespectful and cocky, they had went outside to throw soap on the windows of our room....Once again I'm calling the front Desk to speak to someone who clearly didn't want too or know how to handle the situation. I had to tell him either you take care of these Guest or I will(i was going to call the police)!!!!! I will never EVER STAY HERE AGAIN! Not to mention the outdated T.V. Shredded blanket on the bed, comforter was older than the hilt, and the pull out linens has balls of lint all over the blanket and cigarette hole! NICE........ NOT!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Naperville, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

I stayed here over springbreak with my two children and we LOVED this place. Children are simple they don't need to stay in fancy place with huge swimming pools/water parks. My son walked in and screamed "This place is awesome!!"and he is 9, the two year old loved the slides they had inside the pool. I have previously stayed at several of the bigger hotels and spent a fortune and my kids did not have as much fun (not even to mention I don't like listen to kids run the halls late at night like at the big hotels) It is nice because you can go to the big water parks during the day (FREE tickets) and then come "home" and relaxed in the jacuzzi and the quiet pool. It was very quiet here and the staff is AMAZING! Anything we needed they were on it before we could even ask. Between the lower price for the room, the free breakfast and the free tickets to Olympus and Chula Vista we were able to save a bundle and go to more attractions. As long as I can go to Skyline I will never go to another big hotel again!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Freedom, Wisconsin, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel several times in the past 3 or 4 years for basketball tournaments. I was flabergasted that a "owner" would be so mean, rude, and ignorant. I had called earlier in the week to reserve two rooms, one for one of the other coaches in our organization and one under my husband, who is also a coach. We were quoted a rate of $99.99 for the standard room and $109.99 for the jacuzzi suite. However, when I got there, our room was exactly the same as the standard room, without a jacuzzi. I called down to the front desk because I thought maybe I was put in the wrong room by accident. The "owner" proceeded to tell me that she never told me that those were the prices and was hollering at me over the phone. She threatened me and called me names. I went down to the desk to tell her that I didn't want any trouble, I just wanted the room discounted or the room we were promised. I showed her our confirmation and she offered to discount the same exact room $10 to what it was supposed for the same room in the first place. I was so upset that I was shaking because I was just trying to get her to listen to me and she refused. After many times there, that was our last and I do not recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to be treated with respect.

Room Tip: There are no tips for a "good" room because it is a budget hotel and you get what you pay...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012 via mobile

My friends and I were very unsatisfied with our stay at the skyline. When I reserved the rooms I was told that the outdoor pool would be open but it wasn't. The bathrooms didn't have fans in them, I had to ask repeatedly for a working refrigerator to replace the one in both rooms and the staff was very unfriendly and made us feel uncomfortable.

• Stayed May 2012
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

We just returned from a great weekend get-away celebrating our 20th Wedding Anniversary. Our stay was absolutely wonderful!! The staff was friendly, the room was clean, the price was affordable, and the continental breakfast was good! A special thanks to Sara and the entire front desk staff!!

• Stayed May 2012
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

Usually when we stay at the Dells, we are at the places that have the big water parks attached because our kids were little and we didn't want the walking/driving hassle. This was the first time in 14 years that we stayed at a smaller hotel. We will definitely be doing this more often!!!
OVERALL HOTEL INFO:
Nice location that would be near to all the summer action within walking distance. Clean outside appearance and clean inside as well. There is a banquet or party space in the basement and there was a party occurring the night we were there, but no problems or noise for us on the third floor. Although the party goers were drinking it up in their rooms across the parking lot at the motel portion. But nothing too loud or out of hand that we noticed. And no hotel cannot prevent this from happening, they can only address such issues IF they occur and get out of hand!
ROOM:
First off, the room was very CLEAN! It was slightly dated in layout with the typical sink and extra counter for microwave and fridge under it that was across from the bathroom. Furniture was also dated and scratched, but they were not by any means unusable. The beds were okay - firm, but not squeaky or lumpy like in some other hotels. Our room had newer carpeting as you could smell the newness of it as though just put in within a week or so. (But no problems with that smell.) You could tell that they were trying to update and prepare for the upcoming summer season. Most of the hotel seemed to have a fresher coat of paint and other things appeared newer looking - or at minimum refreshed.
Can't blame the hotel for doing a slow remodel. It will be a costly investment for which too many guests do not respect nor take care of during their stay.
BATHROOM:
Very surprisingly clean. No mold or mildew or wear and tear for most part. Seemed to have a newer tub unit and fresh paint and possibly newer linoleum too. Toilet was still old though and showed its wear. (Perhaps in the plans to replace before summer??)
POOL AREA:
Large for this old of a hotel, the space limitations, and knowing that most people are coming for the HUGE water and activity park across the street and two more near by on either side of the hotel. It had a basic 3-4 foot deep pool, a kiddie pool with two small slides, and a whirlpool - although whirlpool maybe sat 9 comfortably. But again, for this age of hotel, it had one! There is also an outdoor pool and hot tub. There was also a small game room off the lobby near the pool area. All was clean overall, but the water in 3-4 ft pool was slightly cloudy. Our kids swam anyway, and no rashes.
BREAKFAST:
Let me just say to have breakfast of any kind included in a hotel in WI Dells is a plus - especially for this low of a price. That being said, I was not going to expect much. This hotel serves the basics of cereal, fruit, small bagels and donuts, coffee and juice, and does offer two of the typical waffle makers - but with some fun fixin's such as strawberries and chocolate chips, and I think even whip cream in addition to the basic butter and syrup. We ate around 8:00 am on Sunday and it was quiet and pleasant. The food we ate for among the five of us was good. No complaints here.
WATER PARK PASS TO CHULA VISTA:
We were given passes to the Chula Vista indoor water park. Although this is a drive from the hotel, it was well worth it for the low price of the hotel room rate for five of us. Because we were there for only one night, we swam at the hotel for the first night, then checked out early and used our passes for the bulk of the next day at Chula Vista. It is possible that this is a spring only promo. They may partner back up with Olympus water and amusement park across the street for summer or maybe one of the other two. But I don't know for sure.
CHECK-IN:
We did arrive early and had no problems checking in. The people behind the desk were very pleasant and helpful.
NO HIDDEN CHARGES:
A previous review was incorrect. We were not charged anymore than what the online reservation stated. True that the "Amenity Fee" is added after reservation, but that IS clearly stated on summary. (Although it would be nice to just include it in the total.) BTW, amenity fee is not per person, but per room. Secondly, the rates are clearly stated (as with ALL hotels) that they are based on # number of people per room and that if any more than that # number of people, then yes there would be and should be a charge per person. Interestingly enough, this hotel is very generous on the number of people per room per rate. We always book online to get 2 queen beds and a sofa sleeper for the five of us. At all other hotels, we are charged for the 5th person on the sofa sleeper because their rates are based on 4 people per room. Here, because the room sleeps up to 6 people, that is the number of people on which the rate is based. So this was actually a very pleasant surprise compared to other hotels. We were not charged for a 5th person because the room sleeps up to 6. So, be aware of that BONUS when booking here. And as a rule of thumb for any hotel online reservation, if you have a question, call and speak to the people! Best way to tell how truly accommodating they may or may not be!
OVERALL VERY GOOD VALUE:
For this age of a hotel, its location is perfect to quite a few of the summer attractions all within walking distance. And this is a good value. In the off-season, for less than $100, our family of 5 had a spacious, clean room, a decent pool area and passes to another water park, AND it included breakfast (even a light one is bonus). Score!

Room Tip: Due to party room in basement, suggest second or third floor of main hotel, or possibly one of the m...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to Skyline Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!