“Do your homework!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #40 of 78 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Joliet, Illinois
“Do your homework!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

I must admit, I am one of those people that will read reviews, reread reviews, cross reference reviews if necessary before finally pulling the trigger. This resort is exactly what the vast majority of Dells visitors use it for: a place to lay your head. The rooms (we had the Lumberjack Suite in the Tall Timber Lodge) is cute and as advertised. The walls are rather thin, which should be a consideration if you are a light sleeper prone to waking at the slightest distraction. I was not a fan of the bedroom curtains not being room darkening in any way...this would not be a difficult thing for the resort to upgrade. The mini kitchen is just that...a mini fridge, a microwave, toaster, coffee pot and a hot plate thingie. We bit on a package that gave us entry to waterparks at other resorts and a number of coupons which came in handy. How much the price of the room was reflected in this package remains to be seen when compared to simple motels that also give you waterpark passes. The front desk is pleasant, friendly and they will give you directions and recommendations so I had no complaints about that at all. If I had a criticism it was having to wait until almost 5pm to be able to check in. We got there early so did not anticipate the room being ready at the arrival time, but I was disappointed that after amusing ourselves about town and coming back and STILL having to wait was frustrating. The place was quiet and I tend to believe it was a low season staffing issue more than anything. Cheers!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Sheboygan, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Warm, friendly inviting place with Excellent service. Our kids Loved the pool with bears and bubblers. The water level is perfect for little kids to play. The room was very large with both a microwave and fridge. Love the décor. Definitely will return. Thanks for this great place!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Janesville, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Before heading to the Dells I have to admit I was very skeptical after reading some of the reviews posted below, but I already had a reservation and thought we could always leave if it is really "that bad."

When we arrived we were greated with a very friendly face at the front desk and informed of the family movie which is shown nightly at 7pm and about the campfire for roasting smores; so far so good!!!

We prcoceed to our room which was on the third floor. The room was $99.00 had a queed bed, a pull out sofa, a kids room with 2 beds and a kitchenette. The room was spotless, and very nicely decorated. I at this point am very impressed.

Yes it is true that there are no phones in the room, but I had no problem making or receiving phone calls( my carrier is u.s. cellular) I was even able to connect to facebook from my room. I knew to bring my own coffee, but there where filters in my room.

My children are 7 and 12 and still enjoyed themselves, fun is what you make it. We enjoyed the area as well; Knuckleheads was a blast. But as far as the resort, absolutely NO complaints, we had a great time and will be back this summer.

monee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

This place is great as long as you know what to expect. This is a family resort. It is intended for people to spend time with their kids. If you are looking for some place to party, or to sit in the room and surf the internet, then go somewhere else; please. If, however, you have young kids and want them to have a great time, this is the place to go.

Please note that we were there in early March, the off season, and therefor were unable to use any of the outdoor activities; water features, fishing, horseshoes, etc.

The people at the check in counter were always really friendly. Always smiling and cheerful and happy to explain your package (if you bought a package). The room was clean and neat. Ours had a mini kitchen(microwave, mini-fridge, 2 burner hot plate, sink) and all dishes, utensils, pots and pans etc were there and clean. Bathroom was fully stocked with towels and was clean. The room itself had a couple cosmetic issues, but nothing that was actually a negative. For instance there was a flat screen tv mount on the wall, but a regular box type tv on the dresser under it instead of a flat screen on the wall. Kinda weird to have the mount without the actual tv, but the tv that was there worked fine and I really didn't care what was on the wall. The carpet was also worn along one wall, but again, cosmetic and covered almost entirely by the bed and the couch.

The resort shows kids movies in the lobby nightly (Air Bud was scheduled while we were there, but the lady at the desk offered Cars when she saw our son is only 3 1/2) with free popcorn (kinda stale, but whatever).

There is a fire pit with large stumps to sit on and a fire daily. See below.

Pool was cute, fun for little kids, but a little cool for my liking.

I want to address some other reviewers complaints here:

No phone in room: This is true. The rooms do not have phones, which is inconvenient if you want to order a pizza or something, but my cell phone worked fine. There are phone jacks in the room, but I don't know if there is any service connected to them or not.

No one to call after front desk is closed for complaints: Not true. Although I didn't have to call for anything, I did notice phones and signs in the common areas by the pop machine that had a number to call after hours for problems.

No cell service in rooms: Not true. My phone worked fine. Made 2 or 3 calls successfully. (Verizon)

Coffee Maker in room but no coffee : True. those coffee packets many hotels provide are not provided here but are available for two bucks at the gift shop. But now that you know, pack a tupperware with some coffee and some filters and bring it with you. The hotel also brews some and has free coffee available in the lobby.

No marshmallow forks: True. These are not provided but are available for a buck a piece in the gift shop. Again, now that you know, pack a couple or just cough up a couple buck once you're there.

No lighter fluid for campfire: True. Maintenance starts the fire daily but we saw that by evening, it was kinda all coals, which isn't a problem if you know how to rekindle a fire with some kindling and blowing on it. Front desk offered us some paper and there is never a shortage of attraction brochures around. I would guess that maintenance would be happy to fire it up if asked, but I just took care of it myself. I'm not helpless and don't mind doing things myself.

No wifi in room: I think this is true, but we had spotty internet on our phones (verizon) anywhere from 1 to 4G and were able to do internet searches for attractions and such. If you want to sit in the room and surf the web, forget it. This is the wrong resort for you anyway.

Pool is only 8 inches: Basically true. It ranges from about a foot and a half to 8 inches, but is intended for kids. It has a couple tiny water slides and a "beaver shack" spraying feature. Again, this is a family resort for families with young kids. Our 3 and a half year old LOVED it.

Rooms have "thin walls": True. Unfortunately, if other people choose to be loud and obnoxious in adjoining rooms, you can hear it. This is true of just about any hotel in this kind of price range. This is exactly why I said earlier that if you want to be loud and party, go somewhere else. That said, remember that other people can hear your loud kids, so please try to keep it down and if you hear other loud kids, be patient and remember, they are kids and vacations are about them having fun now. Not about you.

Overall, we had a great time at this resort and will certainly return. Friendly staff, clean rooms, kid friendly, great location, great price, great package deal. Bottom line is that our 3 year old son had a great time here and since that is the point, we loved our stay here.

Constructive comments for improved guest experience for management: The pool was fun, but a little cool. While I wouldn't expect bathwater, another 3 or 4 degrees would make a huge difference. Also, people have come to expect coffee in the room if there is a coffee maker. Maybe raise the cost of the room by fifty cents a night and start providing coffee packets. Also, to combat headlights shining in rooms, maybe some light blocking curtains in first floor odd numbered rooms.

Room Tip: If on the 1st floor, ask for an even number. Odd number windows face the parking lot and I have rea...
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

This hotel didn't have a phone in the room, the pool was 8inches, we didn't have a cleaning lady clean our room. We didn't have any lighter fluid for the fire. There is a wall between the two beds and 1 tv was shared between the walls. There were no snack machines. You had to pay for coffee and snacks. This place is a big mistake

• Stayed February 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

To start off no wifi in the rooms only in the lobby maids dont come into your room. There was no reception they couldnt even come outside to use some lighter fluid on the fire. No marshmellow sticks to cook with. There are definitely better hotels

• Stayed February 2013
Sun Prairi
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Rooms was moderately clean. There was a coffee pot but you had to buy the coffee from the gift shop and ask for filters. No phone in room . Young children ran the halls while their parents drank, slammed doors and sounded like a herd of horses. Who do you complain to with no phone and the lobby closes early, opens late and is unattended a great deal of the time. Kids are left alone and where do parents go? This is not my idea of the way I would raise my kids. We will not return to this facility!!! From the outside it looks great but don't plan to sleep.

Room Tip: DO NOT get a room a 1st foor if you plan to sleep . Car headlight shining in your room at all hours...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Meadowbrook Resort? Share your experiences!