“Great for families” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #36 of 78 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
monee
“Great for families”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

This place is great as long as you know what to expect. This is a family resort. It is intended for people to spend time with their kids. If you are looking for some place to party, or to sit in the room and surf the internet, then go somewhere else; please. If, however, you have young kids and want them to have a great time, this is the place to go.

Please note that we were there in early March, the off season, and therefor were unable to use any of the outdoor activities; water features, fishing, horseshoes, etc.

The people at the check in counter were always really friendly. Always smiling and cheerful and happy to explain your package (if you bought a package). The room was clean and neat. Ours had a mini kitchen(microwave, mini-fridge, 2 burner hot plate, sink) and all dishes, utensils, pots and pans etc were there and clean. Bathroom was fully stocked with towels and was clean. The room itself had a couple cosmetic issues, but nothing that was actually a negative. For instance there was a flat screen tv mount on the wall, but a regular box type tv on the dresser under it instead of a flat screen on the wall. Kinda weird to have the mount without the actual tv, but the tv that was there worked fine and I really didn't care what was on the wall. The carpet was also worn along one wall, but again, cosmetic and covered almost entirely by the bed and the couch.

The resort shows kids movies in the lobby nightly (Air Bud was scheduled while we were there, but the lady at the desk offered Cars when she saw our son is only 3 1/2) with free popcorn (kinda stale, but whatever).

There is a fire pit with large stumps to sit on and a fire daily. See below.

Pool was cute, fun for little kids, but a little cool for my liking.

I want to address some other reviewers complaints here:

No phone in room: This is true. The rooms do not have phones, which is inconvenient if you want to order a pizza or something, but my cell phone worked fine. There are phone jacks in the room, but I don't know if there is any service connected to them or not.

No one to call after front desk is closed for complaints: Not true. Although I didn't have to call for anything, I did notice phones and signs in the common areas by the pop machine that had a number to call after hours for problems.

No cell service in rooms: Not true. My phone worked fine. Made 2 or 3 calls successfully. (Verizon)

Coffee Maker in room but no coffee : True. those coffee packets many hotels provide are not provided here but are available for two bucks at the gift shop. But now that you know, pack a tupperware with some coffee and some filters and bring it with you. The hotel also brews some and has free coffee available in the lobby.

No marshmallow forks: True. These are not provided but are available for a buck a piece in the gift shop. Again, now that you know, pack a couple or just cough up a couple buck once you're there.

No lighter fluid for campfire: True. Maintenance starts the fire daily but we saw that by evening, it was kinda all coals, which isn't a problem if you know how to rekindle a fire with some kindling and blowing on it. Front desk offered us some paper and there is never a shortage of attraction brochures around. I would guess that maintenance would be happy to fire it up if asked, but I just took care of it myself. I'm not helpless and don't mind doing things myself.

No wifi in room: I think this is true, but we had spotty internet on our phones (verizon) anywhere from 1 to 4G and were able to do internet searches for attractions and such. If you want to sit in the room and surf the web, forget it. This is the wrong resort for you anyway.

Pool is only 8 inches: Basically true. It ranges from about a foot and a half to 8 inches, but is intended for kids. It has a couple tiny water slides and a "beaver shack" spraying feature. Again, this is a family resort for families with young kids. Our 3 and a half year old LOVED it.

Rooms have "thin walls": True. Unfortunately, if other people choose to be loud and obnoxious in adjoining rooms, you can hear it. This is true of just about any hotel in this kind of price range. This is exactly why I said earlier that if you want to be loud and party, go somewhere else. That said, remember that other people can hear your loud kids, so please try to keep it down and if you hear other loud kids, be patient and remember, they are kids and vacations are about them having fun now. Not about you.

Overall, we had a great time at this resort and will certainly return. Friendly staff, clean rooms, kid friendly, great location, great price, great package deal. Bottom line is that our 3 year old son had a great time here and since that is the point, we loved our stay here.

Constructive comments for improved guest experience for management: The pool was fun, but a little cool. While I wouldn't expect bathwater, another 3 or 4 degrees would make a huge difference. Also, people have come to expect coffee in the room if there is a coffee maker. Maybe raise the cost of the room by fifty cents a night and start providing coffee packets. Also, to combat headlights shining in rooms, maybe some light blocking curtains in first floor odd numbered rooms.

Room Tip: If on the 1st floor, ask for an even number. Odd number windows face the parking lot and I have rea...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

This hotel didn't have a phone in the room, the pool was 8inches, we didn't have a cleaning lady clean our room. We didn't have any lighter fluid for the fire. There is a wall between the two beds and 1 tv was shared between the walls. There were no snack machines. You had to pay for coffee and snacks. This place is a big mistake

• Stayed February 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

To start off no wifi in the rooms only in the lobby maids dont come into your room. There was no reception they couldnt even come outside to use some lighter fluid on the fire. No marshmellow sticks to cook with. There are definitely better hotels

• Stayed February 2013
Sun Prairi
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Rooms was moderately clean. There was a coffee pot but you had to buy the coffee from the gift shop and ask for filters. No phone in room . Young children ran the halls while their parents drank, slammed doors and sounded like a herd of horses. Who do you complain to with no phone and the lobby closes early, opens late and is unattended a great deal of the time. Kids are left alone and where do parents go? This is not my idea of the way I would raise my kids. We will not return to this facility!!! From the outside it looks great but don't plan to sleep.

Room Tip: DO NOT get a room a 1st foor if you plan to sleep . Car headlight shining in your room at all hours...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We stayed for a After Xmas break with my son 18 and two Grandkids 7-9. The pool at the hotel was no deeper than 3 ft. Very cute pool area, no hot tub. Nice gameroom and lobby. they show movies in the lobby with popcorn. the rooms were very clean but not enough places to sit just a sleeper sofa and a kitchen table. Sleeper sofa typically uncomfortable. Older TV's in each room.. No phone but a phone book would have been nice but,eally doesn't matter, cells don't work in room no WI-FI in rooms.( But come on it's a getaway those things should be left at home.lol). They do give a waterpark pass to three places. Rio whats you to buy towels so bring your own! The leaving to go to the waterparks in winter sort of sucks. But hey,It is WI. We also got from the hotel coupons to various other to do things but don't get caught up in those traps, very pricey! Especially the "Paint it Shop" get ALL the prices up front. Coupons not what they seem. Room a little noisy could hear all rooms around, but sort of expected in a family place. All in all to get away with babies or very small kids and no outside connections very nice and clean. Summer looks like they have fun things going on at hotel. But of the places I have stayed in the Dells of the smaller stays very nice and clean.

Room Tip: A good room if you need WI-FI would be close to the lobby. Really no WI-FI in rooms, have to sit in...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

This was our fourth year coming to Meadowbrook and again we loved it. We have a young family (7 year old and 4 year old twins). It is perfect for us. I've read some of the other reviews and yes the linens are not Hilton quality but come on, this is the Dells...a family place. The decor is adorable, rooms are clean and kept up, pools and kiddie play area was perfect for us, movie nights with popcorn, campfire each night, all set in the beautiful wooded area. We met some of the nicest families from Canada to Nebraska. It was wonderful...we stayed nearly a week. Went to see the sites during the day and had a wonderful, peaceful place to come back to at night. My sister was so upset she didn't go with us this year, she has already asked what week we're going next year because as she says "that's my favorite place to go on vacation". If you're looking for nightlife, partying, loud music and wild guests, this is not for you. If you like a family place, we highly recommend Meadowbrook.

Room Tip: We stayed in the main lodge because our kids are young. When they're a little older we plan to...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Rockford
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

After talking to a few hotels I selected Meadowbrook because of the separate cabins and what appeared to be decent price. After speaking to 2 people who both listed the same price for the cabin I had selected I received a phone call to tell me that they were incorrect and the room was actually more. Since it was a last minute trip and we were to leave, I agreed, but was not satisfied. If I had looked back farther on tripadvisor I would have seen that this is a common complaint regarding this hotel so I just want to warn others. I was originally told $129 per night and ended up spending $172 per night including taxes (way more than I had planned on spending). There is a sign in each room that lists the "maximum price," so it is apparant that they up the price whenever possible. Also, be aware that you MUST pay your entire bill upon check-in, not check-out as in almost every hotel in the US and if you have a problem or complaint there will be nobody to help you if you arrive after 5pm as we did. We had to wait until the next day to speak to a "supervisor" whose response was that, "many people get quotes from multiple hotels and forget which one they talked to. They put things on tripadvisor even if they are not true. You can put whatever you want on there." She was not concerned with customer satisfaction as I had already paid my bill. After a phone call from the "supervisor" to the general manager, I was given 2 passes to an attraction (Pirates Cove), which was nice, but did not make up for my disappointment in the resort or the amount of money I had given them. On another note, the television did not function in our room upon arrival and the woman working that night moved us next door and I was happy with their correction of that situation. The resort is near downtown shopping but I would not reccommend walking. I was hoping to stay on the lake or river, which Meadowbrook is not. They need to update their website with prices and reservation capabilities to avoid this problem in the future. I would not give them my money again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Meadowbrook Resort? Share your experiences!