“Great hotel for the price. Perfect for young children!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Marquis Waterpark Hotel & Suites

We can't find prices for this hotel
Grand Marquis Waterpark Hotel & Suites
840 Wisconsin Dells Parkway South, Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Ranked #12 of 77 hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Minnesota
“Great hotel for the price. Perfect for young children!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2009

I've stayed at the Grand Marquis twice in the last year, last summer and this winter. If your looking for a budget friendly hotel and have kids 7 or under I would recommend this place. We took our 4 year old and she had a blast both times. The rooms were very clean and the staff was friendly. No complaints. I also like the location of the hotel.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family

232 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
WEST BEND
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2009

MY kids and I stayed there for two nights. The first night my son got a rash from the pool. By the end of or trip we all got the rash. The women at the front desk was rude when I told her about it. She said it didnt come from the pool. No it is a day later and my whole family has a rash all over our body and it hurts. The doctor said it had to come from the pool. I will never stay there again or suggest anyone to take their kids there.

• Liked — NOTHING
  • Disliked — THE POOL SLIDE KEPT BREAKING SO THE KIDS COULDNT USE IT. MY WHOLE FAMILY GOT A RASH FROM THE POOL
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Midwest
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2009

I have gone to this resort yearly for 5 yrs. This can be a good fit for you depending on your desires/style/expectations/time of travel. This resort in my opinion is a fit for a practical family that has kids ages 7 or below, moderate time/budget, who want more than just a hotel & regular pool experience in the Midwest. Also for no frills adults without children who stay to attend the Crystal Garden Show but do not want to travel home after.

It is not what one thinks of as a typical "Dells Waterpark". Why do I like it? This is no frills, more than a pool and a slide for the kids enjoyment but smaller than the other hotels that surround it. Their pool & Waterpark can accomdate it's guest room capacity without crowding, long waits, or walks. I do not mind venturing out to grab a local bite to eat or shop at a store to stock the hotel fridge for snacks/drinks. I am not a sight seeing shopper so gift shops are not something I rank high among my needs in hotels/resorts.

If your vacation plan desire is to have a pampered getaway without ever leaving the inside of a resort this is not for you. Large scale spa amenities, shops, luxury all inclusive resorts(granite & wood decor) , thrill seeking rides, action packed staff planned/lead activities are not here. If your family is in that stage this particular location will not suit your needs. (That can be wonderful too )

This is a hotel family getaway that has a pool and waterpark made for young kids so the family can have fun and blow off steam. Adults can go on slides too but it is a kids waterpark. This is is not for older kids, teens, and adults who enjoy large thrill seeking water park adventures/rides. The brochure in my opinion reflects this in the pictures.

I read in other posts some state the decor needs to be replaced. I can tell you they have replaced the carpet in the room I like to request since I have been going there. It was a new carpet on my last visit-I commented and my spouse concurred. While the color decor may not be "current" to what is" in" it does not mean they do not clean , fix, replace things. They probably replace on an as needed basis along with a cost benefit analysis. Wisely, matching exisitng green/peach/pink decor that many enjoyed in the past. They update as needed just like many other hotels and apartment complexes do across the country.

I personally do not expect them to change all the uphosterly, furniture,and tile at the same time because these items wear at different rates. It would be costly. This is not a new hotel built in 2000+. If they did an entire hotel wide conversion I would imagine they would raise their prices too. And I don't want that either for their current price point is in my range.
It is unfair to compare an exisitng hotel to a newly built one down the block. If you prefer newly built business/ "in/modern" decor you can research and verify that before booking.

As for the bed I love my bed at home. No bed can compare. I paid more than several trips/hotel nights worth for it. No hotel or friend's home I have ever stayed in has my accolades on beds period. No one has to worry that I am permantly staying. I miss my bed always. I did not find their bed any more or less uncomfortable than other hotels I have stayed in. It is not My bed that I hand selected for my particular needs. I always know that when I travel. As for the parking lot view/construction. We are rarely in the room so this is not an issue for us. However in my past travel days in Vegas I recall resort strips also building/construction around many hotels I stayed in. Best advice see if you can request a room switch (whether bed or view etc) most hotels in my experience do their best to accomidate you.

I bring my own beach towels for the pool and prefer to travel at off peak times when possible. Although they will switch out towels for you as needed if you want to use theirs. I know all hotels experience waits/busy staff/rushed/slow room turnover etc. during peak times. I have talked to a lot of people about different Dells hotels, where & when they went etc. I know that off peak times fit my personality and stage in life. I am fortunate to be able to travel at off peak times.

I have not had problems getting the room cleaned, getting assistance, or clean towels/linens etc. on my visits. Not to discount others experiences -perhaps they went at a peak times and or other circumstances led to their review .

I do know from past experience that travel takes time, budget, and researching to find a good fit . One must know themselves their style, have a rating/value system that coincides with their budget and expectations.

I hope my review has helped . I have recommended Grand Marquis to people who are similar to me in their travel needs, finances, and personality. However, I am friendly with some people that prefer/ need/ can afford more luxurious all inclusive spa resorts where they can get a manicure/pedicure, massage, and steak dinner ,with babysitting services all under one roof while on vacation. This resort would not fit their particular needs.

• Liked — Price, room size, small waterpark fun, close to main HWY, older interior design colors but clean/working
  • Stayed March 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2008

The Grand Marquis is a great place to stay with younger kids. The indoor pools are nice, the rooms are clean, the staff is friendly, and the price is right. Very satisfied with our stay and we will definitely be back.

• Liked — the pools for the kids
  • Disliked — traveling so far to get here
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bolingbrook, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2008

I decided to go to the Grand Marquis becuase it go some pretty good reviews on tripadvisor and it was pretty cheap. Not a good idea! I wish I would have spent the extra money to go to Chula Vista or The Wilderness. Number 1 the pools are pretty awful. They say they have a waterpark which is totally false. More like an average sized pool with a couple of crappy slides. Furthermore the rooms are mediocre as well. My fiancee and I stayed in the deluxe jacuzzi sweet. Sounds nice right? Not quite, we had to have the curtains closed the entire time becuase our window overlooked the parking lot, beautiful huh? Also you can hear when your neighbors our showering because the pipes are awful and the walls very thin. Also we left the room for 5 hours and put the please clean up sign on the door. When we got back the room was still not cleaned. Luckily we spent a lot of time at the waterparks such as Noah's Ark which is great to make up for the trip. Do yourself a favor and spend a little more to have a nice stay in the Dells.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Pools, Room
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2008

HANDICAP WHEELCHAIR ROOMS A JOKE - BAD FOR DISABILITY

I booked a handicapped room at the Grand Marquis and was assurred the rooms were wheelchair accessible.

I asked sink height, table height info, if i could roll under, etc... the said all Accessible

WHAT A JOKE.......!

1. bathroom sink tiny, and against a wall, you had to make a 45 degree turn inside bathroom door just to touch sink. I couldnt even get under it in my powerchair because a wall butted up against sink. it was like it was made for a little kid. there was NO SINK TOP to put stuff on to get ready in morning. id give design a F

2. the table in room was a pedestal table, no wheelchair could get under it without feet hitting pedestal.

All they need is a 4 leg table at a 35-36 inch height and any wheelchair can roll under easy.

2 of the most basic needs failed.

if your in a wheelchair and need a accessible room, RUN AWAY FROM THE GRAND MARQUIS

• Stayed August 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2008

Clean and neat. Has three pools and whirlpools, many slides, a waterfall. Well maintained. Twenty-five percent discount coupon for several activities. Our only complaint was that in deluxe jacuzzi suite the jacuzzi didn't have many jets or pressure from the jets so it was more like a large bathtub.

• Liked — Pools, neat and clean rooms.
  • Disliked — Jacuzzi
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Grand Marquis Waterpark Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!