I stay in Holiday Inn Express a lot, both on business and on holiday. I use them almost exclusively on holiday because I get a great value for my IHG Reward points. Plus, I know generally what to expect as they don’t vary much between properties. Having never been to Wisconsin Dells, I had no idea what to expect of this particular property since it was in a resort area.
It turns out that I got a great value and a great location. Well - that is once I found it. The address on the website said this hotel was in Wisconsin Dells, so I put that in my GPS. Oops. I ended up miles away somewhere near a giant pink flamingo. I finally figured out I was lost and when I called the hotel for help the pleasant young lady on the phone told me to try entering Baraboo. Okay. Baraboo it is. My GPS took me straight to the door. That said, there is only one Holiday inn Express in the area, so if you pass by… you just missed it.
Now about the property itself. Check in was extremely efficient, and every staff person I encountered was professional, pleasant, and helpful. In fact, I was extremely impressed with the personnel. Kudos to the management on your hiring and training.
This was a special trip with our 13 year-old grandson, so we had requested a king suite with a sofa bed, which worked beautifully for the three of us. The “suite” was actually one large room with a partial wall dividing the bed from the area with the sofa, so there was some semi-privacy. The sink was in the room, not with the bathtub and toilet. Normally I don’t care for this setup, but with the three of us it allowed for more multi-tasking while we were getting ready for the day.
There were a couple of issues with the room itself. First, if you stay here be sure to bring your own multi-outlet extension cord(s). There are very few outlets and none are next to the bed. (Knowing that these days guests travel with multiple electronic devices, I still haven’t figured out why every hotel hasn’t invested in bedside lamps with incorporated outlets!) With three people charging phones, laptops, game systems, hairdryers and curling irons it became a juggling act. We also had some problems with the AC. It never did work properly and we had to turn it off each time we turned the temperature up or down because the unit would switch to heat. We finally figured out a way we could make it work, but I believe the whole unit just needs to be replaced.
Holiday Inn Express has always been a good value for families because of the “free” breakfast. Combine this with an area known for amusement/water parks and you have potential for chaos. The breakfast serving space was crowded, but the staff kept the food filled and the area as clean as humanly possible. In all my travels, this was one of the most well-organized and well-tended breakfast areas I’ve ever encountered. I did find it odd though, that in a resort area the breakfast hours were different for the work week and the weekend. I would think always observing weekend hours would be more appropriate since I doubt there is a huge crowd of business travelers needing those early morning breakfasts.
The hotel has a program allowing you to “opt out” of daily housekeeping service in exchange for a couple of 2-for-1 coupons. We preferred no service anyway, so we took advantage of the offer. It turned out to be a good deal because the coupon helped us reduce our costs on a couple of major attractions. Housekeeping didn’t get the memo though, and still left a note on our door saying they couldn’t clean our room because we left a “do not disturb” sign on the door. Had we not left it, housekeeping would have entered the room even though we requested no service. It wasn’t a problem for us at all, but I would suggest a master list be provided to staff so they would all be aware.
The hotel has a hot tub and two very nice swimming pools, one indoor and one outside. Both pools had water slides which my grandson declared to be pretty awesome.
And as for the hotel in general? In the words of my grandson, I declare it pretty awesome. Well done, Baraboo/Wisconsin Dells Holiday Inn Express. Well done.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Wisconsin Dells Hotel Wisconsin Dells
- Holiday Inn Express Wisconsin Dells Hotel
- Holiday Inn Wisconsin Dells
- Wisconsin Dells Holiday Inn
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Wisconsin Dells Hotel Near Popular Attractions The Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites in Wisconsin Dells is at the heart of the 'Waterpark Capital of the World.' Located off I-90 at Exit 92, this Wisconsin Dells hotel is less than a mile from major attractions like the Original Wisconsin Ducks, Noah's Ark Water Park and Mt. Olympus Water & Theme Park. Nature lovers staying in our Wisconsin Dells hotel will have easy access to the unique natural beauty of the Dells of the Wisconsin River; our hotel is also four miles from Mirror Lake State Park and 16 miles from Devil's Lake State Park. For more fun indoors, there is a 24-hour shuttle to the nearby Ho-Chunk Casino. Business travelers appreciate our convenient location near I-90/94 and I-39, keeping them connected to nearby cities. We're only four miles away from the businesses of historic downtown Wisconsin Dells, and our hotel is within 11 miles of companies such as Flambeau, Inc. and Seneca Foods. Lodging in our Wisconsin Dells hotel also allows you to utilize the services of our 24-hour Business Center. During your stay in our Wisconsin Dells hotel, be sure to take advantage of our free high-speed Internet access. We help you keep your usual routine by offering a complimentary hot breakfast, a Fitness Center and copy and print services in the Business Center. Book your reservation now for our hotel near Wisconsin Dells attractions and start planning your trip today! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, IHG, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz and Otel so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Wisconsin Dells reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.