“Pleasantly Surprised” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #56 of 78 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Clarkston
“Pleasantly Surprised”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

We stayed at Mt. Olympus over spring break - 3/31 - 4/2/2013. My first impression of this resort (use this term loosely) was that it was tacky and dated. The first thing I noticed upon arriving is that the other guests seemed very low-class. I know this is judgmental, however I couldn't help making this observation. Our entire trip included stays at 3 different resorts, and this one was the cheapest of the 3, so I assume that families with less money are attracted to this place.

Upon arriving, our room was not ready, which was fine because we arrived about 2 and check-in was 4. They will send a text message when your room is ready. We headed to the Indoor Amusement Park to avoid getting wet until our room was ready. The indoor amusement park is tacky and really geared more for the under 10 crowd. My kids are 9 and 10, and they found most of the rides too babyish. The park is basically in a pop-up barn with some cheesy Greek/Roman columns thrown up here and there. The insulation is falling out of the ceiling in spots and dead go-karts litter the corners. Of course the "older" fun stuff costs extra - like laser tag, bowling, and video games. The go-kart ride was probably the best but seriously, we waited in line over 45 minutes for a 3 minute ride....not worth it!

An additional observation, all of the workers (aside from those who appeared to be management) were Asian or of some Eastern European descent. They were NOT friendly in the least bit. Every single ride operator or life guard had the most "blah" expression on their faces. No one working there appeared to enjoy their job at all.

Finally, at 4:01, we got the text that our room was ready. Our room was FAR from the lobby and parks, but it was okay. The room was clean, and it had laminate flooring which I found interesting - no carpet to get moldy and soiled. Other areas of the resort needed a serious vacuuming, especially the stairs to the water park.

The water park is relatively small, but both my kids enjoyed it. To get there, you have to traverse about 4 different sets of stairs - it's really bizarre how they've connected the main building to the water park. My husband and I parked ourselves in the upper seating area and had a birds eye view of the entire place. The staff does NOT enforce the outside food/drink rule, so we brought in our own snacks and beer - it was great!! They also charge you to rent a locker. That is ridiculous! You pay $10.50, and if you return the key by 9:30 p.m., you get $5 back. Again, is this a resort? As a paying guest, I feel like I should get a FREE locker.

Our first morning there brought a huge disappointment - no free coffee!!! What?? Is this 2013? Really, I think some place that advertises itself as a "resort" could give free coffee. We had to buy $4.50 Starbucks which we never do. There also is no "restaurant" here where you can have breakfast - just a snack counter. They will heat up a premade breakfast sandwich for you - whoopee!

Speaking of food, this place buys what I believe to be Gordon Food Service (or lower grade) frozen food and refries it. There is no "nice" place to eat. Even the one area that resembles a restaurant serves this greasy fare. My kids were fine with pizza, burgers, fries, and corn dogs, but my husband and I craved something a little more refined after our first go with these menu options. I urge others to take advantage of the coupons they offer for nearby restaurants.

My kids blew about $40 each in the arcade. I liked the reloadable game cards and e-tickets - that made it easy but also dangerous. If your kid loses that card - it's ALL GONE!!! I made sure my boys had shorts with pockets while playing in the arcade.

Checkout was easy.

Out of the 3 resorts we visited, I rank this #2 (behind Kalahari and better than Wilderness). Again, I don't know that I would go around saying this is a "resort." The food is super low quality, the fun amenities are simply average, and I never one felt like I was being catered to like I should be at a resort. If you want a fun and fancy time, spring for Kalahari!

Room Tip: Make sure you request Hotel Rome - otherwise you could end up MILES down the road in one of their ot...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
Appleton, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

If your goal is to take the kids to an indoor water park, this place is ok. The hotel is huge, with groups of pretend & teens everywhere! Many families with multiple kids and bags of groceries in tow. There are huge numbers of people here. The lobby looks like a refugee camp at times. But this is a function of its large size. The place looks more upscale than it is. Don't expect much in the way of personal service. It is essentially a large water park with a place to sleep attached. My room was clean and didn't smell. Staff in the coffee shop and gift store were helpful if you asked.

The indoor water park is accessible without going outside, but it is quite a walk. Bring An extra bag to use at the pool, because it will be difficult to go back to your room.

If your goal is to go to a water park in Wi Dells, and pay less than other places, but still be in an attached hotel, this might be for you.

• Stayed April 2013
Winfield, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

I was nervous about our recent stay at Mt. Olympus. Some of the reviews were quite negative. We went as part of a large group so changing my mind was not really an option. Please keep in mind this review is based on the Rome building. There appear to be many more room options on and off property. I would recommend the Rome building. The other rooms seemed so far away. Also, we stayed in March. The outdoor attractions were not available to us, only the indoor and I think 1 outdoor roller coaster that I did not go to. Customer Service: fine. No issues. Check in was easy and when I requested more blankets and pillows, I got them right away. When I called for our room to be cleaned, someone came within 10 minutes. Room Quality: ok. This is a water park, you are not going because you want to lounge in your room. The room is basic but it was clean. I will say the rooms are LOUD. The walls do seem to be made of paper. Didn't stop us from sleeping after a long day at the water park. Food: it's your typical fast food option when you stay at a place like this. Don't expect more than hot dogs, pizza and burgers. For a good meal, go to Moosejaws. That place is fantastic!! Water Park: my group of 34 thought it was great! Ages ranged from 4-13. The kids had plenty to do. Water temp was fine, lines were not too long, we always managed to get a tube for the lazy river and slides. Indoor Amusement Park: great for 7 and over. We had some 4&5 year olds in the group and they were bored. They were not tall enough for most of the rides and the rides they were tall enough for they considered baby-ish. Don't expect to stay longer than 2 hrs ( if that) at the indoor amusement park ( that includes a game of laser tag which is extra). Overall Mt. Olympus was a good choice for our group. Don't let the negative reviews get you. I'm sure you'll find negative review for Great Wolf ( been there, didn't think it was that great) and Kalahari ( next year's choice) as well.

Room Tip: Stay in the Rome building if you want easy access to the indoor water park. If you want easy access...
Algonquin, Illinois, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I was leary about staying at Hotel Rome at Mt. Olympus after I read all the horrible reviews. Our experience wasn't so bad. I have to agree that the rooms are VERY average, nothing to brag about at all. They have a cold feel to them because of the hardwood floors, wood tables and no pictures on the walls. Also, they were very loud, lots of noise could be heard from the hallway. I was shocked that there was not a coffee maker, no bags for laundry, 1 shampoo, 1 conditioner and 1 soap. The beds weren't all that comfortable either. Rooms were clean, but again, VERY AVERAGE. My kids, ages 7, 8 and 15 all had a blast at the indoor theme park, indoor water park and the outdoor theme park. Since it was cold out and snow on the ground they only were able to do the go karts and one roller coaster. Though, they had a lot of fun and no complaints at all. A lot of laughter and happy faces from my children. I personally had no issues with the staff, everyone was friendly and very accommodating. We did receive 12 free water park/amusement park passes for the summer. For every $10 spent in the gift shop, we were given a free pass. My family wants to come back in the summer to use the passes, I doubt we will stay in the hotel, but definitely will have some fun at the water/amusement park. Fun resort for families with young children, but definitely not top of the line if you are looking for luxury in the room.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

This place was terrible. We stayed in the main hotel and you would think it would be better maintained. Paint chipping, wall paper peeling, hair in tub not ours, walls paper thin, there was not even a dresser in the room. We stayed two nights and the neighbors (different neighbors) were loud. No such thing as quiet time. Horrible night sleep. I am never going to stay here again even with the deals.

• Stayed March 2013
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

This was our first stay at Wisconsin Dells and hotel Rome was a big disappointment. This hotel is very dirty and gross! The carpet in the hallways looks like it's never been vacuumed. On the way to the pool we saw men's underwear laying on the carpet. There was long black hairs in the clean folded towels in our room. The water in the pool is dirty! There were papers and plastic bottles floating in the water and nobody seemed to care to clean it up. We booked the hotel for 2 nights but decided to check out the next day. We didn't get any sleep during the night. There were people screaming and kids running down the hallways all night. Additionally, this is supposed to be a nonsmoking hotel - well there were people smoking cigarettes next door and the smoke was filling up our room. Complaining about the noise and smoking to the front desk and hotel manager didn't help. When we were checking out they charged us 1/2 for the next night that we weren't staying instead giving us credit for the sleepless night. What a service! I know why they do not give you a satisfaction guarantee...because they would money. What a complete waste of money and time!

Bradley, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We went to the dells for a couple of days over spring break to see if we would like it enough to come back for a week in the summer. Mt Olympus was going to be where we stayed the last night of our trip. They put us in what looked to be an apartment building made into hotel rooms 2 miles away! No front desk, vending or ice machines, and not even a mini coffee pot in the room. So we went to the water park and it was so over crowded it was gross, just people on top of people. We then walked down to ride the go carts, after a long walk in fairly cold weather they put up the closed sign as soon as we walked up. The parking lot was full and it was just rediculous, I went to the front desk and got a refund for our room and we left. Never will we ever go back. Ever!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Mt. Olympus Resort? Share your experiences!