“Mt. Gross” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #58 of 72 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Chicago
“Mt. Gross”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

My husband and I took our three boys (ages 5,4,2) to check out the Dells. Overall I thought it was LAME. And I was SO glad we went in the off season and did not pay full price for the hotel. The carpets look old and dirty and there is a gross smell in the air, like they are trying to cover up a stench. As we waiting to check in the family in front of us were complaining how their room was covered in ants. The room we stayed in was clean, thankfully, but was pretty small. The fridge in our room would kick on and was very loud. The indoor water park was ok. I felt the staff could have been nicer. For example I went down into one area where I thought we could swim and a lifeguard came up to me and said "you can't stay in here." I said "this isn't a pool?" "No." Doesn't bother telling me where the swimming area is, no smile, nothing. I looked back and there was text on one pole, I guess you could call it, that said no swimming. But I thought maybe a sign by the stairs stating "DO NOT ENTER" would be better seen. On the other "pole" it just said no running. That's the sign I saw when walking with my kids. Overall I felt the pictures on the website were misleading and the staff wasn't very warm or welcoming. The vibe was that they were annoyed to have business.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

We recently took a family vacation and could not believe what we were sold. We arrived to find a hotel that was disgustingly dirty from the minute we walked in. The common area and stairwell were really dirty and full of stains. My 11 year old daughter noticed that the light fixtures were full of bugs..gross. So, we get to our room find frosting on our alarm clock, toothpaste or something on the shower stall, a dirty towel, hair inside the stall etc. The headboard was painted on the wall and their was no comforter on the beds...all we got was a light blanket and a sheet. The tv was full of dust...no way was this room cleaned. They also indicated that there was wi fi when in fact we had to go to another building to use it. After complaining to management, we were offered an upgrade-that room was better but we will not return to this place. The indoor waterpark was super crowded, did not have enough tubes for people and really don't waste your time you will definitely be disappointed.

Room Tip: go to the Wilderness or Kalahari...you will have a much better time.
Rossford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

There was a lot to do and it wasn't very crowded. It was a little cold outside but it was a bonus that the outdoor park had some rides open. The water park was I bit small with nothing above and beyond any of the others. The room was fine, comfortable with a flat screen.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the road have no view because they built some wood column looking things around the hot...
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

Upon reading the reviews I almost didn't come here but I must say I was pleasantly surprised. We booked a stay for 2 nights and we have 3 kids ages 12, 9, and 8 months. For the discounted price I got on the Internet I am happy with Hotel Rome. The room is very clean and spacious. The halls are a little loud but that is to be expected with so many kids on spring break. The indoor water park is kinda small but adequate. The only downfalls really is the fact that the game room has so many broken machines and the pizza from the pub downstairs tastes blah.... But the staff is nice and helpful and the service is prompt. Compared to the overpriced Kalahari I am satisfied. I would recommend this place and we will be back. Just try to come on a weekday when it's less crowded.

Room Tip: Request the top floor so their wont be people running and stomping above you
Muskego, Wisconsin, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

Every year we take the family to a waterpark resort somewhere in Wisconsin. This year we chose Mt. Olympus resort because it "seemed" comparable to other resorts in the area. What we found upon arriving was that the resort was falsely advertised. The room that the internet stated could accomodate eight of us could really only sleep 6. When we complained they were able to find us another room on a nearby property that they owned. Upon moving over there we were disgusted to find that it was a motel-like accomodation and the rooms were "bare-bones" and the hallway carpets and tile floors were filthy. The water park was much too crowded and the doors to the outside were open all of the time making it very cold for the little kids when they were soaking wet! The outdoor amusement park had very few rides open which in turn, made the lines for the ones that WERE open extraordinarly long. The indoor park was not much better. I am very disappointed with this resort and would never visit it again or recommend that anyone else stay there either! The owners should be more concerned with making their existing properties better rather than focusing on purchasing every property up and down Wisconsin Dells Parkway!

2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012 via mobile

Arrived last night. We stayed in the main building with hardwood floors and bunk beds Here are a few issues we had:

1. Despite the online reservation, they had us checking in the night before. Good thing we had our reservation confirmation.

2. The bunk beds were not made. When we inquired, the front desk staff said that was because some people don't use the bunkbeds. (or is it that it takes less of the housekeeper's time to actually make the beds?)

3. Only a sheet and light bedspread on the king sized bed. (less work/cost to wash the blankets? Absolutely if there isn't any)

4. No hand towels. (but we got 5 small bath towels.) I think the towel qualiity is a bit sup-par, but I'm not really knocking them for that.

5. Limited housecleaning service during you stay. Again another cost cutting move. (one that I don't actually mind since I don't like others in my room).

I found the staff to be as you expect, some are really nice, others less so. As a spring break destination, I anticipate that he hotel will try to nickel and dime you, ala the arcade in the lobby. The one really nice feature is that the indoor pool and park are included. These areas are not huge, but large enough for the two kids to have a great time.

Stayed April 2012
Chesterton, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

Where to start first off we had a 2 queen bed w/bunks room mini fridge & a mini microwave so small you cant even pop a bag of popcorn in. There is no kind of a little dresser or night stand with a drawer for you to put anything. The hallways are dirty I was there 3 days & never saw anyone vacume the floor. Now to the indoor waterpark not very big & the water was cloudy also not enough tubs for the slides when you have to wait by the lazy river for 20 minutes to get a tube something is wrong especiall when there arn't that many people there. If you were a little kid you never would have got one! Next is the Theme park if you say its gonna be open weather permitting & its 60 and sunny I would call that weather permitting but what they dont tell you is that its just select rides not all of them. Moving on to the Indoor theme park was so so for what i got to see the problem here is that they close it at 7pm now this area has the bigger arcade and the jungle gym w/the balls for the little kids. Now most people i know would leave the water park around 5:30 or 6 to take the kids to get cleaned up and eat by the time your done so is the Indoor theme park. So now you have about thirity 12-16 year olds with nothing to do but run up & down the hallways. Next lets move to the arcade by the lobby was not to bad but the people working there not very child friendly. I dont think i have ever met a 5 or 9 year old that has ever made up their minds on what they want out of that cabinet full of toys and candy they get to pick from the first go around. So as we were still standing at the counter getting help from the impatiant worker my daughter decided she wanted something else for the same amount of tickets & the girl tells her no shes stuck with what shes got. That was the last straw never again will i return there to spend another dime. So to end this review the next morning WE checked out a day early not caring obout them keeping the money for my last night went down to the GREAT WOLF LODGE which is very nice by the way & enjoyed the last night of my vacation. P.S. the game room there had no problem exchanging something.

THANKS FOR NOTHING MT.Olympus

Room Tip: Stay some place else
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Been to Mt. Olympus Resort? Share your experiences!