“Wisconsin Dells/Kalahari: a must for families!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Kalahari Resorts & Conventions

We can't find prices for this hotel
Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Save Saved
You added Kalahari Resorts & Conventions to your Saves list
1305 Kalahari Drive, Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Ranked #14 of 78 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Kalamazoo, Michigan
“Wisconsin Dells/Kalahari: a must for families!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2011

Kalahari, though pricy, is the most well-reviewed family resort in the Dells. We have been twice and the teens are in heaven, as are the parents. We can do our own thing while the kids can go back and forth to the room or enjoy the indoor and outdoor waterparks. There's a huge indoor entertainment complex with ferris wheel, arcade and full multi-screen movie theater, as well as on-site restaurants like Damon's and Kahunaville. Within walking distance is an outlet mall and many restaurants. For cheap dining options, there's a great convenience store/gas station down the street with a Dunkin' Donuts and pizza, etc... The rooms are beautiful...fireplace, flat screen, small kitchen area in ours. Overall, it's a very relaxing vacation with plenty to do for everyone.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
resortsmanagement, Guest Relations Manager at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, March 1, 2011
Thank you for your return visit! It was our pleasure to serve you once again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (418)
Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2011

I'm reviewing the kalahari based on what it is, a waterpark themed resort. First, the waterpark.... Extreme letdown. Granted, it's winter and we didn't have a chance to use the outdoor facilities, but based on whats available indoors..... skip it. While the indoor waterpark is large, it becomes tiresome quickly. The raft rides are short with very long wait times, and the play area is geared mostly towards toddlers. The only bright spot was the tube slide (only one in the entire park) and the toilet bowl slide. The body slide smacks your backside as you pass each seam, so not too enjoyable. Perhaps the biggest problem is the lack of rule enforcement. The lazy river was full of kids running around without tubes. I was actually concerned for the safety of some that weren't strong swimmers trying to keep up with their friends. Another knock is the fact that Kalahari sells passes to the public which results in overcrowding. Overall the indoor waterpark ranks a distant third behind the Great Wolf Lodge and the Wilderness resort.

The hotel itself is well kept, but the walls might as well have been made of paper. We were in the "newer" Sands section which was a good 15 minute walk to the waterpark. The problem was the family training for the olympics that were staying above us. I kid you not, they had to be practicing either hurdles or the high jump because stomping noise was incessant. To the credit of the Kalahari, security patrolled the halls reducing the mischief of misguided youths. My biggest complaint is the cutting of corners during construction.... How 'bout some soundproofing?
All was not lost, however, as the indoor theme park at the Kalahari is probably the one of the best in the Dells. It surpasses Knuckleheads and the Wilderness (though the soft play area of the Wilderness is exceptional). The variety is what makes it entertaining: High elements ropes course, bowling, laser tag, go carts, video games, etc.

All in all, I would not stay at the Kalahari again. For indoor water park entertainment, the Wilderness is hard to beat with it's variety and size. I would even say that the Great Wolf Lodge beats Kalahari because of it's more entertaining slide choices. Not to mention, the room rate for the Kalahari was insane at $279 a night........

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
resortsmanagement, Guest Relations Manager at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, March 7, 2011
We appreciate your candid review following your recent trip to Kalahari. There is something for everyone at Kalahari and we regret that our indoor waterpark and room did not meet your expectations but it seems that our Indoor Theme Park exceeded them! As a result of guest feedback such as yours, future additions and renovations to our waterpark and suites are currently underway. We hope that you will visit us again to check them out. We would welcome another chance to turn your disappointment in to satisfaction! Thank you for your comments.
Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2011

My family stayed at the Kalahari in January. We were there for a convention and stayed during the week and got an awesome rate. We've been there the past three years for the same convention and this year got the best deal we've ever gotten. We almost felt like we were paid to be there after the free room upgrade and all the extras included with our rate that we found from their newsletter email. My four year old daughter still doesn't stop asking me when we'll be going back to the Kalahari. It's the only hotel she has any interest in going to. The food at the Ivory Coast was wonderful. Anyone in our party who ate a hamburger there said it was the best they've ever had. Overall, we had a great stay there and the location next to the outlet mall is my favorite part.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments! I am pleased that you and your family enjoyed your stay and found a great deal through our newsletter. We are happy to hear that your daughter is our new Kalahari ambassador!
Ithaca, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2011

I was here as a guest speaker for a conference, not being big into theme parks, etc. I arrive early, around noon. No room was ready, which was understandable. They said, "Come back at 2:00" so went to the business center and worked on my laptop. The conference organizer saw me and said she would try to get me a room. She called her Kalahari contact, who said that my room was now ready. I walked about a 1/4 mile back to the front desk was told it was not ready and to please don't check in again until 4:00. He also said that I really don't need to come all the way back to the front desk, that since my room was in the "Sands" building, I could go to the desk there. I looked at me with a smirk -- stupid guest! At 4:00 I go to the Sands desk. My room is not ready yet. I hang out with colleagues for a while, come back at 5 and finally get my key. Mind you, I'm not picky about hotel rooms. However, upon entering the room I was bombarded with cleaning smell, so opened the door on the balcony that overlooks the parking lot to air it out. The room was ugly, fake African stuff, dorm fridge in corner. I think it is a designated accessibility room because of the railings all over the bathroom. However the bathtub was so incredibly high that I nearly tumbled onto the floor trying to get out. I like to read myself to sleep; however the lighting is controlled (all of the lights, lots of bright lights) from a single switch next to the entry door, so had to get up out of bed turn out all of the lights at once. By the time I made it my bed after stubbing my toe, bumping into things, in the darkness I was wide away. I was imagining how someone using a wheelchair would manage this without a headlamp. This place may work as a set for a zombie movie.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Luck, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2011

After being disappionted with the Kalahari last year, we thought we would give it one more try....what a waste. As with last year, the issues began upon check in. Our reservations were screwed up and if I didn't have the reciept I would not have gotten the package that I paid for because the computer system has something different. (Well at least this year we didn't have to wait in a line 50 people long.) After checking in...which I'll warn you takes at least 20-30 minutes. Most people I know wouldn't notice the poor construction and cheapness to the room but being in the construction business it was the first thing my husband noticed. Towl bars uneven, vents crooked, shoody tile work, uneven carpet, etc. The beds are very very uncomfortable and if you have a floor above you, you can hear even the tiniest footstep. After checking our vouchers, we realized that they only gave use half of what we paid for and again I had to bring the original reciept to the front or would not be given the vouchers I already had purchased. The restaurants were just as disappointing. After watching their "promo" channel advertising their award winning chefs we thought, well at least the food will be good. SO WRONG...overly processed food. Get the order, get it out and who cares how it looks or taste I'm pretty sure was the moto. The staff in the water park all looked like they hated their jobs or were too busy flirting with each other to care about whether or not you are having a good time. This place needs customer service 101 STAT if they want repeat customers. I would not recommend the Kalahari to even a person that is not a friend.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Geneseo, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2011

We took our two teenage sons and 3 of their friens to Kalahari for a one night/two day stay. The kids had a good time. I think they may have been bored if we had stayed another full day, but there was plenty to keep them busy for the time we were there. Had the package that included a two room suite, waterpark admission, theme park admission and breakfast and dinner. Meals were limited to certain restaurants, but after talking with the staff at the front desk, they allowed us to use the dinner certificates at the snack bar. Room was clean and had plenty of room for all of us. I found it to be clean and comfortable. I would recommend this resort to anyone looking for a quick winter getaway.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2011

Just got back from the Kalahari Resort. Due to the winter storm we had to leave early. We were sooooooo impressed with the resort! Our children had so much fun!!!! The suite was clean and absolutely gorgeous. The park was exciting for all ages! The Master Blaster was a very exciting ride! We enjoyed the park on Monday morning and there were hardly any lines to use the rides!!!! Wow! The staff was super friendly! Especially we want to thank Marcus as he was checking us out!!!!! Thank you for being so accomodating! We will definitely be back to this marvelous place!!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family

Been to Kalahari Resorts & Conventions? Share your experiences!