“How much money do you have?” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Kalahari Resorts & Conventions

We can't find prices for this hotel
Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
1305 Kalahari Drive, Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Ranked #14 of 77 hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Wisconsin
“How much money do you have?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2009

They make it sound like they have an "all inclusive" resort but you have to pay extra for everything!!! A lot of the rides are not included and food was outrageous! If my pocketbook recovers we will go elsewhere next year.

Stayed December 2009, traveled with family

1,575 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (376)
WISCONSIN DELLS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2009

i really enjoyed the place and the confrence centres were aweesome

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
Rockford, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2009

We stayed at the Kalahari when it first opened and that was probably a mistake, because no other place can possibly measure up to it. It had been six years since we'd been there, simply because it wasn't in our budget. Last month I noticed on the site they offer a discount for armed services, police and firefighters. My husband is a part time police officer so we stayed two nights at the $99 rate. I had read the reviews so thought that maybe their service had declined.

WRONG!

The first thing that happened is we were upgraded from a Nomad Room to a $267-a-night Royal African Family Suite! When we stayed at Great Wolf Lodge we were upgraded also, but to a room not near as nice as this. Granted, this time of year is so off-season there were probably 100 registered guests, but still......Wow. This room was a dream for a family on a limited income, two bedroom, master bedroom had a master bath, there was a fireplace, jacuzzi, three TVS, etc. The kids were in heaven. The beds were comfortable, in fact I think I slept better there than I have for a year in my own bed.
For a hotel that is over ten years old, they are keeping it very up-to-date. Everything still looks new and so much has been added! They now have an indoor theme park and have "swallowed up" Damon's and the Desert Star Cinema as they have expanded. We ate at Damon's, the food was great and they had huge interactive TV screens where we played "Lunchtime Trivia".

The indoor theme park is Kid Heaven, tons of arcade games and for $15 per kid (weekday rate), each kid could get an all-day-wristband for the rides. (This only includes certain rides- not bowling, golf, or arcade, so check before you buy.) It is a wallet-emptying experience, to say the least, but the kids had a blast and the employees were very friendly and interacted with the kids.

The waterpark was great. It was a short walk from our room. One thing, though, the water was a lot colder than we remembered it being when we used to go there. The wave pool was quite cold, but when you go farther back in the park, it's not as bad. It really didn't matter much, because after you've climbed stairs and gone on a few rides, you've warmed up enough to where it's not a big deal. But when you first come through the locker rooms after a warm shower, brrr! (Lockers are $5 per day, a total ripoff but about the same as other waterparks we've been to.)

Our kids are 8 and 11, and spent most their time on the Master Blaster and Victoria Falls. My son got a terrible headache each day from the Master Blaster, and my husband got a slight headache too, but neither my daughter nor I had a problem. It does jostle you around, so if you are prone to headaches, you may have an issue. The lazy river is the best one we've ever been to, and we are pretty much waterpark experts. We didn't try the flowrider but it looked fun. All in all, it is a huge waterpark, so I can't imagine not being satisfied.

The lifeguards, mostly young adults or teens, were really good with the kids, welcoming them to the Kalahari and noticing when they came back, telling them to yell, cracking jokes, etc. I was impressed because I've read reviews about them being apathetic and rude. With probably fewer than 75 people in the waterpark on the days we were there, the employees HAD to be bored to death, and when the park is full of other teens, you know they have to be stressed with all the rule-breaking, so I think people should cut them some slack. They are there to make you follow the rules and to save your life if need be, not to entertain you. They definitely didn't HAVE to interact with my kids the way they did, so I felt they went above and beyond my expectations.

One hotel restaurant was closed, due to low occupancy, and the flowrider was closed on the last morning before we left. Other than that, everything was open the whole time we were there and that surprised me, since it was the middle of the week and so few people were there.

You can have a great time at the Kalahari. It is what you make of it, and I think sometimes people are just negative and looking to complain about everything. If you expect every employee to be Mary Sunshine when the place is booked and there are a thousand screaming kids running around and people are complaining about stupid things, than your expectations are too high anyway. We did not run into one single rude or apathetic employee. Everyone we passed smiled and said hello. We will continue to come here during the down times. It is great to have the place nearly to ourselves!

An added note-you have to use your room key to turn on the lights in your room. There is a slot by the door when you go in your room that you put the key in and leave it. Some people find this an inconvenience but it wasn't a big deal for us. The kids actually thought it was neat and fought over who got to put the key in the slot.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Cary, IL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2009

We've been here one other time with a large group of pepole - stayed in the Sands. This time we stayed in the main building very close to the water park - that was excellent! The room was beautiful, large, and clean. But that seems to be where the fun ended. There are not enough rafts (the Rhino Rampage had two) and the Master Blaster was out of service the first night. The staff seem very disengaged or non-existant. Policies have changed since my last trip about 15 months ago. All kids under 48" need to wear a life vest of which they seemed to have a large supply of but my little one) 44" didn't seem to mind it. I don't think it's a bad thing I just wasn't expecting it. State law has also changed so now they cannot be in the hot tub under 6 (my little one is almost 5) and he was very disappointed since he could go last time. The surfing area was under construction behind the wall so it was unsightly but okay. The line was very long - they were not running the divider on the wave until the line got VERY long and we waited in line 20 minutes before one of the guards told me that my little one (who had gone before with an instructor who was just a peach) couldn't go on with one of them any more - that the policy had changed. Again, little one very disappointed. I'm okay with the policy change but did I really have to stand there 20 minutes before they told me about it? The change wasn't posted on their sign. The kids area in the middle was extremely cold water temperature wise both days. The second day, the entire water park area was cool. Didn't stay long. We did check out the new Indoor Amusement Park area. It was okay. The line to get the wrist band was very long and slow to move - the hours had changed too. The people working the go karts seemed to be on drugs - very spacey. And the line was so long that we didn't even get to use both our turns on the wrist bands. Games were pricey and tickets were not as generous as other places we have been.

Overall the extra money I spent staying here wasn't worth it. I would go back to the Wilderness for the value. While the room was great, we spent very little time in it. The kids stations were few and far between on the TV.

If you've stayed here before, you might think twice about going again.

Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2009

When my family and I arrived at the Kalahari we found 2 people working behind the front desk and a long line. The machine that makes the room keys was not working so we could not get into our rooms. Once this was solved we went to the waterpark. My kids went to get something to eat and the room charge was denied, after being approved at the front desk. I had to take time away from the kids to go to the front desk and try and get this worked out. The manager said 'It's not my problem if you have credit issues" This was their problem and there was no apologies to me and my family, only irritation towards us that we were upset. We got a refund for the room and were followed around by two security guards while we were getting our things together. We drove home because our weekend was ruined.

Reedsburg, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2009

Came home from a deployment to Iraq and decided to take my wife and 2 boys to a water park in November (my boys are 18 months and 5 years). We were fortunate to get a room deal based on connections that cut our price by 50%. That being said, the water park was a blast for all of us, we spent almost all our time there. My 5 year old and I went to the indoor theme park (go karts, mini golf, laser tag etc) for an afternoon and didn't enjoy it as much. We went during the middle of the week and shared the water park with dozens of other families with young kids as opposed to hundreds of teenagers and huge crowds on the weekend. The only parts we didn't like were the cost of things...yeah, it's a resort and they bank on you parking your car and not driving 3 blocks to get something to eat. The other issue was our room. It was nice and it was clean, but in poor repair. Best as we can figure they spend the winter fixing the rooms after the summer crowds destroy them. Issues like the sliding door to the patio wouldn't lock, the fireplace access panel wouldn't stay closed (major safety concern with 2 young boys), the sink was very slow to drain, the shower fixtures were all loose and there were other issues. Bottom line, they didn't detract from the fun our family had and we plan to make this an annual event, granted we only live 50 mi from Wisconsin Dells so it's an easy trip for us.

Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2009

I travel a great deal for business, so the thought of taking my family to another hotel for a long weekend wasn't all the appealing to me. Wow...I'll stay at the Kalahari anytime. Granted, it's busy, but that tells me they're doing something right. Clean..clean..clean..and all of the staff we encountered were smiling and helpful. The rooms were spacious, and I loved the big coffee pot! But the coffee in their little pastry shop is delightful! The pizza is awesome..and the homemade candy shop should be outlawed....the pecan clusters are to die for! I'll be hitting the treadmill for a few days to work off the guilt.
Take your family....you'll love it!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family

Been to Kalahari Resorts & Conventions? Share your experiences!