“Great place to stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kalahari Resorts & Conventions

We can't find prices for this hotel
Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Chicago, IL
“Great place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2009

My husband and son's wanted to ski during Christmas break and I wanted to relax. We chose Kalahari because they offered a king spa package, had a nice waterpark, was close to Tangers outlet mall and Cascade mountain. A bit of everything for everyone. We stayed two nights. We were able to check in a little after 3pm and it was a breeze. Our room was nice and clean. We were given $200 worth of spa credit and 2 days of free breakfast for four. The first day my youngest and husband went to the buffet. My oldest and I had room service all free minus the added 18% tip for room service. The following day we all went to the buffet. I have to say their food was very good. Nice selection, hot food was hot and cold food was cold. The water park was loads of fun. Not crowded and my boys stayed until 10:00pm both nights. The spa treatments were very nice. The spa itself isn't the most fancy, but it's a nice little place and they treat you very well. I had a bit of a cold and the massage therapist couldn't have pampered me more. Same with the facialist. My manicure and pedicure was very nice too. We stayed in the lodge room. It was perfect for the four of us.
Nice fireplace, two tvs, big fridge, stove, oven, dishes, silverware, cookware, balcony, big table to eat at. Large spa tub that worked great.
If you needed anything they were happy to bring it. All the employees were very nice. We would definitely stay here again. Highly recommend.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Not a thing
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (468)
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2009

We had a great time at the Kalahari over New Year's this year. We stayed December 30 - January 1st. We booked the special New Years package that included a Hut Room in the condo building, however upon check-in we were upgraded to a larger room in the main building.

The room was clean and spacious.

The waterpark was also very clean and not very crowded. The hotel was busy, but there were no long lines at the water park. We enjoyed the warm water in wave pool, lazy river (which is fun because it intersects wiht the wave pool), family raft ride and the kiddie area. The kiddie area is nice because there are plenty of tables and chairs to sit at, while you watch over your children without actually going in the pool. The kiddie area also has 2 bigger slides, again with no waits in line! I also personally enjoyed one of the multiple hot tubs! The rental cabanas looked like a nice treat, but for $200/day it was too much for us. But for a large group it may be worth it. It seemed that the cabanas had multiple sofas, a flat screen TV and "room service."

The indoor theme park was also lots of fun. We did not buy an all day wristband, but paid for a "rechargable" card. The all day wrist band only included rides, not the "Chuck-E-Cheese" style arcade games. Although, the games were tons of fun - Deal or No Deal and Plinko from The Price is Right were my favorites. We rode the carousel and go karts. The go karts were worth the $6/ride. They are overhead and have lots of fun twists, turns and drops! There is also a free playground for younger children. We also enjoyed the bowling upstairs -- about $20 for 3 of us to bowl on game with shoes. Brand new and brightly colored with flat screen TVs overhead airing ESPN and such.

We ate at African Themed Buffet on New Years Eve - Excellent Food! Probably the biggest buffet I have ever seen. We frequent Disney World alot and this buffet surpassed any buffet I have had at Disney. There was also a fun family New Year's party in the ball room, but my daughter fell asleep at 10:30. Room Service though promptly delivered drinks for myself and my husband prior to midnight instead! We also picked upbreakfasts at the coffee shop, ate lunch at the lobby restaurant and enjoyed Ribs at Damons. All of the food was good and the service was good. Every employee was friendly, inclduing the lifeguards who greeted us each time we landed out of a waterslide!

All in all it was a great trip. My 6 year old daughter can not wait to go back!

Last note - you MUST buy a caramel apple at the Sweet Hut. I've never seen so much caramel on an apple before! YUM!!!

• Liked — On site activities. We didn't leave the hotel once!
  • Disliked — Wished I could stay longer
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Rochelle, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2009

This year we decided that for our family Christmas, rather than spending money on gifts that we didn't need, we would spend the money on a trip to the Kalahari and spend some quality, family FUN time! it was worth the trip!! We stayed in the Village Suite. We loved everything about it........full size fridge, everything from pots, pans, (which we didn't use, but know we can next time, if we choose), dishes, a toaster.......the list went on and on! The Village Suite was perfect for 3 families! Splitting the price with 3 families made it reasonable as well. The Kalahari is HUGE and sometimes i think of indoor water parks as having WIMPY rides, but these were great! There was a good variety for kids of all ages. The guys enjoyed Laser Tag and Simulator Golf as well. The only thing we regretted is that we only stayed one night! Next time we'll stay longer and really take advantage of all the great things to do there. We'll also try to go again in the summer so we can use the outdoor park as well. BOOK IT TODAY--you won't be sorry!!

Stayed January 2009
chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2008

We stayed two nights after my hubby got back from Iraq. We were there with our daughter who is 6. We had a terrific time! The water park is fantastic. Sooo much to do. Our daughter really enjoyed herself, and so did we. They have a bar inside the park for adults. The rooms were good. Nice and clean. My only complaint was that our Hut room was quite a walk from the water park, but nothing we couldn't manage. The restaurants were good, service was good, and the food was delish.

We liked it so much we are going back January 2009 before I start grad school just to have a little affordable getaway.

Stayed July 2008
chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2008

I have stayed at almost ALL of the bigger resorts in the Dells. We go twice a year, one summer trip and another short winter getaway. We chose Kalahari for the winter as we wanted to see if it was worth the money as it is one of the higher priced resorts. I can say, I have not one complaint. We stayed in the 2 bedroom suite in the Royal Suite section of the resort. Waterpark and cabana was fantastic. This water park is a little more lenient in regards to bringing in your own food/drinks as opposed to others who stop short of a full body cavity search for carrot sticks and goldfish snacks. Room was excellent, clean, spacious and quiet. Without question better than, Wilderness, Great Wolf , Treasure Island and Chula Vista. Nothing negative to say, something for everyone as we were there with 11 children from 4 to 15.

• Liked — All the amenities were superb!
  • Disliked — Not a thing.
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2008

We went there for a weekend with friends...the one after Labor Day...and was amazing...not very crowded still good amount of ppl...well maintained...nice rooms...we even got up late in the morning to check out...but they accomodated us and didn't charge a late fee...highly recommended fr a family weekend

• Stayed September 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Stevens Point, WI
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2008

Our room was promised to us by 2:00 PM but was not ready until 4:00 PM. This was a big problem because our 2 year old needed her nap - she missed it and was miserable (and so were we) for the rest of the day. The waterpark floor was dirty and very slippery in places - I saw many people slipping on the same spots. Lifeguards were inattentive. The hotel room walls are not soundproof at all: the baby next door has been crying for the last 2 hours and we can hear everything. Room service was very slow. This is supposed to be a fun place - we've paid a premium price for our stay, but things have been so bad that I wish I'd stayed home. Next time, we'll stay at the Holiday Inn Express and just buy Kalahari waterpark wristbands for the day.

Stayed October 2008

Been to Kalahari Resorts & Conventions? Share your experiences!