“Excellent family hotel!” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Junglinster, Luxembourg
“Excellent family hotel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014 via mobile

This was our 3rd trip to the Kalahari since 2010. Whilst the rooms may seem pricey for larger groups, $500 for a 2 bedroom suite that sleeps 2 family groups together wasn't too bad.
We stayed 2 days and 1 night this week, and we had a great time! We were 4 adults and 3 children aged 10, 11 & 13.
On-site catering covers just about all you'll need, the buffet breakfast's great - such a huge range of foods available - and the newly refurbished Wisconsin Brewhouse Pub was very welcoming for family groups for evening meals.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Thank you for the great review. I am pleased to hear that your families had a wonderful time with us. The Wisconsin Brew Pub is our newest on-site restaurant. I am glad to hear that you all enjoyed it and we were able to make you all feel special. Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you all back again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (461)
Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

I brought 26 girls, ages 14-22 years, we stayed 2 days, 1 night, they simple had a blast. 20 of the girls stayed in a condominium, 6 stayed in the main hotel and I stayed in the Sands. My room was spacious, very clean, the dual shower head was awesome, refrig and microwave. The resort has a bowling alley, golf course, water park, shops, several restaurants, bar/lounge ect....a wonderful place to bring the kids.

Room Tip: If you have a large group, grab a condominium.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Hi David. I am so pleased to hear that all of you had a wonderful time while visiting the Resort. I'm glad to hear that you were able to check out the Indoor Theme Park as well during your visit. I hope you were able to spend some time going down a few slides and relaxing at the Indoor Waterpark as well. Thanks again for the review and we look forward to seeing you all again soon!
St. Cloud, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

Kalahari is my new favorite waterpark/indoor theme park in the Dells! We've visited 2 other major properties quite often and had a chance to stay here. This one wins hands down! We traveled with a 17 & 15 year old.
Arrived quite late at night, but had no problems with check in. (we did have a reservation). Lobby is absolutely wonderful with it's theme. Took the glass elevator up to our room.
Our room was spotless and they even folded the hand towels into the shape of an elephant. Thought that was really cute! Housekeeping was excellent each of our days.
Next morning we headed to the waterpark. What a blast! The water coaster is the BEST! My son is not a thrills kind of guy for rides and he couldn't get enough of this one! It's tame enough so it doesn't scare you, but there's no shortage in thrills.
The "toilet bowl" drop was fun too. Different than others I've been on. Big sign telling you to be a strong swimmer and the lifeguard at the top goes over the rules very carefully. Hubby and son were going to do this one, but neither is a strong swimmer, so it was just my daughter and I. you slide down, spin around and then just plunk out the bottom into 9-10 ft of water. You're totally disoriented, but that's the fun!
Plenty of lifeguards all around doing a fabulous job! We also enjoyed the outdoor hottub. It's huge! there's even a swim up bar, with their own hottub.
All the rides were amazing. We didn't try the surf wave, and the wave pool seemed like it was broke down for part of one of our days. (this review is slow coming, I thought I had already done it and realized I hadn't. Our trip was Nov. 2013)
The indoor theme park is tons of fun too! For one price, you can enjoy everything! Hubby and son loved the go kart track. We also enjoyed the Vortex tunnel (that thing's crazy), fun mini golf course, climbing wall, ropes course, the 4d theater (that was a blast, we just kept going back to it all the time!) Hubby and son also enjoyed the NASCAR simulator. That was an extra charge, but worth it, according to them! There's a place to eat and bowling upstairs. (we didn't utilize either).
Clean bathrooms all around. The place was spotless.
We stayed for 3 nights and enjoyed all our days. Sometimes when you stay somewhere for multiple nights, you start to get bored with the surroundings, not here!
Hope you have as much fun as we did....we will definitely be back next year!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
We appreciate such a detailed review from your stay. I am so thrilled to hear about all of the rides you enjoyed in the Indoor Waterpark. The "toilet bowl" ride has been with us since the Resort opened and is by far my favorite slide! Besides the Indoor Waterpark, I am glad you were able to try the Indoor Theme Park as well. We appreciate all of the compliments from the go kart track, mini golf course, climbing wall, and other activities you were able to try. We are continually cleaning around the clock I am glad the resort was spotless for you all. Take care and thanks again for visiting and we hope we'll see you back again soon!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

We stayed 4 nights in the Nomad room them upgraded our last night to the African Queen Suite. Both rooms were comfortable large and clean upon arrival. Our family of 6 were all quite comfortable. Rooms were quiet and noise from other guest were never a problem. Kids were active all day long. Water parks were clean and never overcrowded. Staff were friendly. Kids loved being able to choose from going to water parks or to indoor amusement park whenever they pleased. They want to know when we get to come back and we have not even left the hotel yet.

Stayed July 2014
It's always so great when the kids have such a wonderful vacation that they want to come back right away! I really enjoyed reading your review and I am so happy that the rooms were spacious and comfortable for all of you. I'm also glad to hear that you enjoyed the waterparks and that you were able to go on most rides right away. I'm thrilled that you were able to try the Indoor Theme Park as well during your visit. Thanks again for the review. Take care!
Nixa, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

Got upgraded at checkin, which was unexpected. Great suite with two rooms, one for parents and one for kids, along with a small living room area for games and TV. Hallways are always quiet, which is rare for a busy hotel of this size. Always something to do for the whole family, with indoor and outdoor water parks as well as an indoor amusement park. Drive into The Dells for additional attractions; we recommend the Timbavati Wildlife Park. All of it made for a great family vacation.

Room Tip: With a family, definitely pick a suite.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
I'm so happy to hear that you all had such a great experience with us. It sounds like the room was nice and big for you. How cool that you got upgraded! We appreciate all of the compliments about our Resort and what we offer. Thanks again and we'll see you back soon!
Des Moines, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

Having been to other water park resorts, I was uncertain whether the water park area would be appropriate for my teenage kids (12 & 15) or more geared toward younger kids. My daughter (12) experienced both the indoor and outdoor parks and loved them. Surprisingly, my 15-year-old son had just as much fun. I am a big fan of the outdoor water park...not too crowded when we were there (July, Saturday afternoon), access to youth and adult beverages and plenty of seating.

We had pizza delivered from an on-site restaurant and were shocked when our 14" Lotsa Meatsa pizza arrived...IT IS WELL WORTH THE PRICE OF $29. It was closer to an 18" pizza and didn't skimp on toppings. We ordered $4 "side salads" that were dinner platter-sized, with mixed greens!

Resort is a few miles from all the tourist attractions of the Dells...attractions are not in walking distance. This wasn't an issue for us as we were there for a basketball tournament, but if you want to walk to the attractions, this isn't the place for you. That being said, I appreciated it being away from the congestion of the Dells downtown.

The only complaint I have, which is probably typical of hotels with water parks, is that the room was humid/damp. It was improved by running the A/C but I do wish it wasn't so humid.

Room Tip: I'd request a room on the first floor away from the indoor water park to potentially avoid the d...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Thank you for such a detailed review. Within the waterpark, we pride ourselves in providing slides and rides for guests of all ages. We also pride ourselves in being known for delicious pizza. I am so glad you enjoyed the large pizza that we offer. It's so nice to get extra portions that can even be taken back up to the room.
I am sorry about the humidity issue within the waterpark. The level of comfort is different for everyone and I apologize it wasn't comfortable for you. I hope it's ideal during your next trip. We look forward to seeing you again. Take care.
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

This was our second visit to Kalahari in the past 2 years and our kids absolutely loved it. The staff are attentive, friendly and helpful everywhere in the resort, the food in the restaurants was great, and the waterpark was well run, clean and a lot of fun for everyone.

My only complaint is about the maintenance of the rooms. We paid over $500/night for a Royal African Suite, and the room was worn out and in a poor state of repair. Light switches and lamps didn't work, the shower curtain was dirty and stained with something red, and there was a faint smell of vomit in one bedroom. We reported these issues to the hotel (except for vomit smell) and they were addressed quickly. They gave us a new shower curtain, but just left it for us to install ourselves. In general, the furnishings seemed very dated and worn out. We have much higher expectations when spending several hundred dollars per night in a hotel room. The lighting was also very dim unless we kept the drapes open, which we hesitated to do while changing as our 2nd floor room overlooked the parking lot.

While in Wisconsin Dells, we looked around at other resorts which seemed to have equally nice water parks, and we will consider staying elsewhere on our next trip.

Hi Jon. I am glad to hear that the service, staff, and the amenities of our Resort was all very nice for you. I am sorry to hear about the condition of your room. I apologize that your African Queen Suite was not up to our standards. That is not how we usually run things here at Kalahari. We really appreciate the feedback and have forwarded them to the correct departments to make sure this issue doesn't occur again. We remain in high hopes that you'll stay with us again and we look forward to seeing you back again soon. Thank you and take care.

Been to Kalahari Resorts & Conventions? Share your experiences!