“Perfect water park resort for family with teenage kids” 4 of 5 stars

Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
1305 Kalahari Drive, Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Ranked #13 of 73 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Des Moines, Iowa
“Perfect water park resort for family with teenage kids”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

Having been to other water park resorts, I was uncertain whether the water park area would be appropriate for my teenage kids (12 & 15) or more geared toward younger kids. My daughter (12) experienced both the indoor and outdoor parks and loved them. Surprisingly, my 15-year-old son had just as much fun. I am a big fan of the outdoor water park...not too crowded when we were there (July, Saturday afternoon), access to youth and adult beverages and plenty of seating.

We had pizza delivered from an on-site restaurant and were shocked when our 14" Lotsa Meatsa pizza arrived...IT IS WELL WORTH THE PRICE OF $29. It was closer to an 18" pizza and didn't skimp on toppings. We ordered $4 "side salads" that were dinner platter-sized, with mixed greens!

Resort is a few miles from all the tourist attractions of the Dells...attractions are not in walking distance. This wasn't an issue for us as we were there for a basketball tournament, but if you want to walk to the attractions, this isn't the place for you. That being said, I appreciated it being away from the congestion of the Dells downtown.

The only complaint I have, which is probably typical of hotels with water parks, is that the room was humid/damp. It was improved by running the A/C but I do wish it wasn't so humid.

Room Tip: I'd request a room on the first floor away from the indoor water park to potentially avoid the d...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Thank you for such a detailed review. Within the waterpark, we pride ourselves in providing slides and rides for guests of all ages. We also pride ourselves in being known for delicious pizza. I am so glad you enjoyed the large pizza that we offer. It's so nice to get extra portions that can even be taken back up to the room.
I am sorry about the humidity issue within the waterpark. The level of comfort is different for everyone and I apologize it wasn't comfortable for you. I hope it's ideal during your next trip. We look forward to seeing you again. Take care.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (530)
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

This was our second visit to Kalahari in the past 2 years and our kids absolutely loved it. The staff are attentive, friendly and helpful everywhere in the resort, the food in the restaurants was great, and the waterpark was well run, clean and a lot of fun for everyone.

My only complaint is about the maintenance of the rooms. We paid over $500/night for a Royal African Suite, and the room was worn out and in a poor state of repair. Light switches and lamps didn't work, the shower curtain was dirty and stained with something red, and there was a faint smell of vomit in one bedroom. We reported these issues to the hotel (except for vomit smell) and they were addressed quickly. They gave us a new shower curtain, but just left it for us to install ourselves. In general, the furnishings seemed very dated and worn out. We have much higher expectations when spending several hundred dollars per night in a hotel room. The lighting was also very dim unless we kept the drapes open, which we hesitated to do while changing as our 2nd floor room overlooked the parking lot.

While in Wisconsin Dells, we looked around at other resorts which seemed to have equally nice water parks, and we will consider staying elsewhere on our next trip.

Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Hi Jon. I am glad to hear that the service, staff, and the amenities of our Resort was all very nice for you. I am sorry to hear about the condition of your room. I apologize that your African Queen Suite was not up to our standards. That is not how we usually run things here at Kalahari. We really appreciate the feedback and have forwarded them to the correct departments to make sure this issue doesn't occur again. We remain in high hopes that you'll stay with us again and we look forward to seeing you back again soon. Thank you and take care.
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

Staff was beyond helpful and went out of their way to make our stay an amazing experience. It was better than we could've imagined. The villa itself had so much to offer to our group. All of the recreational activities within the hotel never left us bored! Our dining experience was commendable at the kalahari's double cut restaurant. Our entire group will be returning in the future! Very satisfying experience for everyone.

Room Tip: We had the entertainment villa. It met the needs for everyone in our group. It was a vacation getawa...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Hello Jen. I am so happy to hear that everyone in your group had a fun and enjoyable stay with us and we were able to go above and beyond your expectations. The entertainment villas are a great way to stay at the resort and have a bunch of people and just want to have an all around fun time. Double Cut is our signature steakhouse and I am just thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your dining experience there. Thanks again for the great review and we hope to see you back again soon!
Glenview IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

Had low expectations for Kalahari....cheap vegas for kids was expectation. However, our 2 bedroom family suite had outdoor patio on ground level with table for 6. Great outdoor space to hangout at night. Hotel is HUGE but waterpark particularly after 6 pm is great because crowds go WAY down. We were there on a friday and saturday and sunday which were prime days. I'd probably just pick up food or order in and have dinner outside on your patio. Double Cut restaurant was good ..... and expensive. Definitely not the place for romantic getaway but kids have a blast.

Room Tip: Family suite with patio on ground level by outdoor waterpark ideally rooms further away from lobby...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to fill out a review. I am so happy your two-room family suite was very comfortable for all of you. I am thrilled to hear that we went above your expectations and you were able to take advantage of both the Indoor & Outdoor Waterpark during your stay. Again, we appreciate the review and hope to see you back in a family suite again soon!
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

You are paying top resort fees, with out top resort service. I really do not understand the infatuation with the Dells. If I pay $400 a night, I expect full service. That being said, this hotel is the best out if these rinky dinky hotels. But that's not saying much.

Stayed July 2014
Hello, first I would like to thank you for choosing Kalahari Resorts for your vacation, however I am deeply disappointed to hear that we did not live up to our expectations, nor provide you with the experience you deserve during your last visit here. I have already passed your comments onto our management team who would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you directly. Please email me at SocialConnect@KalahariResorts.com & I will be sure to put you in contact with them. It is our goal to make sure every guest leaves here with a great impression of our beautiful resort, and we hope that we have the opportunity to have you as our guest again in the future & another opportunity to provide you the level of guest service you expect and deserve.Thank you!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

Stopped for a break during a family trip. I had kids ranging from 5 years old to 13 years old...Reservation were made over the phone with ease. Military friendly. Professionally run...Staff was friendly...Locker rooms clean..towles provided along with life jackets...Life guards are friendly but firm...Fun for all ages...I will be back....

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Hi Robert. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed a "pit stop" to Kalahari during your spring break trip. We're so thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the waterpark and your kids all had a great time as well. We pride ourselves in creating a safe and fun environment and making sure everyone has a great time. Thanks again for the great review and take care.
South Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

our first trip to KALAHARI .. it was amazing .. everybody so helpful. especially DONNA @ the front desk.. explained many details

very clean room . excellent POPCORN and high-quality chocolates from the lobby.

WATERPARK . all clean .. many lifeguards.. very safe resort.

LOTS OF FUN in the ACTIVITY park . mini golf.. laser tag.. etc.

BREW PUB..
great quality BURGER .. excellent BEER CHEESE soup .. !! fun atmosphere for the whole family @ this somewhat new restaurant in K.

As we were loading up our car to leave, the valet gentleman cleaned off our windshield. !

Definitely will return -- have stayed @ other resorts.. but KALAHARI is our new favorite

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Hello Carrie. It is so wonderful to hear when a first time guest falls in love with Kalahari. I am so glad we were able to go above and beyond your expectations to the point where you labeled us the "Best of the Dells." I hope you all had a fantastic getaway and an amazing time in the Waterpark. Yes, the chocolates at the Sweet Hut in the lobby are a fabulous treat! Yummm! Thanks again for the review and we hope to see you back again soon!