“Beautiful and Clean” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kalahari Resorts & Conventions

We can't find prices for this hotel
Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
You added Kalahari Resorts & Conventions to your Saves list
1305 Kalahari Drive, Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Ranked #14 of 80 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Wisconsin
“Beautiful and Clean”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

I must totally disagree with some of the negative comments about the Kalahari. We had a wonderful experience there this past weekend. Our room was spotless and the cleanliness of the entire facility was impressive. The banquet rooms were also clean, chairs were comfortable and the staff was wonderful. Wish we could have stayed longer! We will certainly be back if the opportunity presents itself. Thank you!

Room Tip: We were in the Sands Building.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (430)
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

I just returned from the Kalahari, and was shocked with how low the cleanliness standards were. The whole hotel smelt musty, and the room had a dreadful mildew smell to it. Down in the sports bar, the tables were simply dirty, the staff snippy and what ever you do, don't get the crabcake benedict for breakfast - this is the most vile thing that I have eaten for a while - quite puts me off ordering this for a while. It was not fully cooked, soggy, and the taste of vinegar in the "hollandaise" was the most putrid of tastes that lingered for the day.

Room Tip: At checkin, (and be prepared for a wait - I was in line 40 minutes), check that the room is not havi...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
While we appreciate you coming to stay with us, I am sorry to hear about your experience. We do have very cleanliness standards indeed and strict training to ensure this. With that being said, I will be sure to share your thoughts with our Rooms Division Director as he would love the opportunity to look into this for you. Hopefully we will be able to pinpoint your concerns. I am also sorry to hear about your dining experience. Our Food and Beverage Director will be very interested to hear this. Again, we appreciate your feedback so that we may determine the specific areas in which we can improve upon. We appreciate that opportunity to do so. I do remain in hopes of seeing you in the future. Thank you for your time!
Green Bay, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

I was recently at the Kalahari for a conference (Wednesday to Thursday) and stayed in a room at the Sands. The conference amenities were fabulous including the meals, wait staff and presentation rooms. While there I had some time to sneak away with a friend and her 9 mo and 3 year old to play in the water park. It was great! We only stayed in the little tike area, wave pool and lazy river, but all four of us enjoyed ourselves. We used the locker rooms because it was late and it was easier to get the kids in their jammies before heading back to the Sands, but it would have been an easy walk on a warmer night. The locker rooms were clean, tidy and perfect for us.

I had one issue with my room and was amazed at how quickly, politely and thoroughly it was resolved. No concerns here with staying again.

The place was really clean and yet, I never actually saw anyone vacuuming the halls or lobbies.

Room Tip: I was in the Sands, 4th floor and in a hall called Sleeping rooms and I never heard a thing. Great n...
Plesant Prairie, WI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

If cleanliness was next to godliness, the Kalahari is an atheistic place.

It sure flunks my basic "clean and everything works as it should" test.

My cavernous room stank with a mildew type odor. I had to go to Wal-Mart and buy Lysol spray to try to make it habitable. If I had time I should have went next door to Home Depot and got some paint, a new shower head, a mop and a carpet shampoo machine. Maybe also some Kleenex and toilet paper that isn't quite like sandpaper. One thing the rooms don't need is sandpaper.

The shower is nothing to write home about. There are minor maintenance issues in the rooms as well. The hotel management is vigilant about writing response to reviews promising to do better but if you look at a history of several years those are empty promises. They have staff who are in the rooms every day. When something isn't right they should notice it and make sure it is taken care of.

The HVAC wall unit is especially noisy. Most of them around the country aren't silent -- that's a given. But this one is like being at an old airport. Ditto for the bathroom fan. Bathroom wasn't very clean, either. Door handle was broken.

I will skip writing about the nice things on the property because if it isn't clean and things don't work as they should, then nothing else matters. Also some things are given, such as having a bunch of kids running around -- that's to be expected.

Business facilities: wifi worked good but the meeting rooms were cramped with muddy audio and NO outlets for laptops to use. (Folks, this is 2013. Get with it! Sheesh!)

The problem with this hotel lies squarely with its owners and management. They won't invest anything into keeping the property up to snuff in as good condition as the day it opened. For what they charge that should do this. They would rather make empty promises and hollow excuses. I had to stay here for a business meeting. I would never stay here by choice. Never. In fact, as a family oriented resort, then it should be incumbent on them to keep the rooms immaculate and in great condition. Except for something like a burned out bulb, there should be no need to call the desk about a problem because it shouldn't exist. Kalahari or Kalahardly.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
First of all, I wanted to thank you for your time to review us. We very much appreciate the feedback. With that being said, I am sorry to hear about your thoughts of your stay. We do care about the feedback of our guests, and do take the opportunity to make the corrections we are able to. This includes teams specific to maintaining the rooms. I am sorry to hear that you feel we provide empty promises, as this is not the case at all. We care very much, listen to the concerns, connect with all of our team and ensure everyone is following through. All of our convention rooms are equipped with plug ins multiple rooms, as well as the conference tables have plugins. If you were to ever have an issues with AV/Tech needs in the Convention Center, our convention services is more than equipped and willing to assist in anyway. I am sorry to hear that you did not find this as the case. I will connect with our convention services to see how we may make their services more known as our convention center is more than equipped. Every year, we renovate many areas of the resort, from the rooms, to the waterpark, to our convention center, through all the common areas. Again, I am sorry you don't feel this way, but I do hope that this provides some insight moving forward. I very much appreciate your feedback and will ensure that the correct team members get all the info. Thank you again for the opportunity to do better. Take care and I remain in hopes of seeing you in the future again.
Beloit, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

A group of 20 rented an Entertainment Villa for a bachelor weekend. Basement is great for a party! Sound system, wet bar, poker table with chips, walkout patio. Only thing missing was the hot tub which looked like it was removed. Everyone in the room received free passes for the waterpark and other attractions in the dells. A convenient location to most places in the dells. Don't rely on the Kalahari shuttle because it is always booked. We are also told we had to pay before they would come get us which didn't make much sense. Kahunaville is always a great time if you are not looking to go out!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Glad to hear everyone had a blast at the bachelor party. Thank you for taking the time to review our resort. Hopefully the group was able to check out the new swim up bar and the indoor/outdoor hot tub.If you are into golf, we do have an amazing golf club too. Looking forward to seeing everyone again soon! Please tell your friend congratulations on his upcoming nuptials from us! Take care.
Madison, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

This place probably is best suited for families with young children. I can't imagine going here as a couple. I found myself here for a conference and had to stay a night. The place is sprawling, covering several acres. The rooms are generally large, but you should ask for one of the rooms in the newer section. When I was there, staying alone, for some reason I got an unasked for upgrade to a suite with a complete kitchen. With the indoor waterpark, it's a good place for kids or a larger familly.

My room was large and clean. And quiet.

Room Tip: ask for a newer room
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for paying us a visit for your conference. I hope that you overall enjoyed your time with us, as I know it was certainly our pleasure to have you. When we have availability, we try and thank our guests with an upgrade. Hope you enjoyed the room. I do hope the next time you have a conference on property, we get to see you again soon. Take care and thank you for your thoughts.
S. Elgin, Il
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I brought my 5 year old granddaughter and daughter as a birthday present to my granddaughter. It was a "ladies weekend" away and we had a blast. The Kalahari Resort is huge. You really don’t ever have to leave. The resort has an African theme and is beautiful. We were allowed to check in right when we arrived. Everyone at the resort was very pleasant and helpful. Our room was very nice and we were lucky to get a room close to the elevator. Our room rate not only included the indoor water park, but also passes to Timbavati wild animal park. We did Timbavati first because it is outdoors and it was going to rain the following day. The park has many types of wild animals and allowed feeding and interaction with many of them. We thoroughly enjoyed the park and getting the free passes was an added bonus.

The outdoor water park at Kalahari was closed for the season, but the indoor park was great. It is huge and is set up to accommodate adults and children and has many different kinds of pools, slides, rides, etc. The facility is clean and well kept and provided plenty of tables and seating and had bars for the adult crowd. Since we arrived after Labor Day the park wasn’t overcrowded, but it was still crowded nonetheless.

Inside the hotel you can stroll shops and wonderful dessert shops! There is a buffet and a restaurant as well as a coffee shop and an arcade among other things.

The second day we were there we went to Kalahari's indoor theme park. It was raining, but no worries everything is indoor The theme park is huge and includes an arcade, huge ferris wheel, rides, go carting, laser tag, miniature golf, bowling alley, bar, restaurant, a full bowling alley, etc (too much to mention all). We did pretty much everything, but the golf and laser tag and had a blast. We even went bowling. You can purchase an all day armband for the rides or put money on a card to enjoy some rides and arcade games. I will admit it can get a little expensive in the theme park, but it is still well worth it.

This was our first trip to the Dells. We usually head west to Disneyland, but we needed a quick turnabout and originally had planned to go elsewhere, but changed out mind and decided to go to the Dells instead. We were glad we did. All in all it was a great trip and Kalahari was a great choice. It is definitely a place we will return to again. My granddaughter said it was the best birthday present ever. And, my daughter had decided to return with her husband in the next two months so they can enjoy their anniversary there alone.

Room Tip: Request one close to the elevators. It could be a long walk otherwise Although we had no noise I h...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
We're so lucky we ended up being the root of your Girl's Weekend! How awesome?! Thank you so much for taking a moment and sharing. I loved that we were able to have all 3 generations. We strive to include many amenities that you couldn't get anywhere else, so needless to say, I was ecstatic when reading of your joy. I wanted to be sure to let you know that we appreciate you and your family and we can't wait to see everyone again soon! Take care!

Been to Kalahari Resorts & Conventions? Share your experiences!