“A little bit of everything” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Kalahari Resorts & Conventions

We can't find prices for this hotel
Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
You added Kalahari Resorts & Conventions to your Saves list
1305 Kalahari Drive, Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #11 of 73 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Certificate of Excellence 2014
East Coast
“A little bit of everything”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

We had a nice stay at Kalahari Resort. I'll review other parts of the resort separately -- this is just regarding our hotel/room experience. Our room was in the same building that houses the indoor waterpark, so the convenience was fantastic. Our balcony overlooked the outdoor waterpark, which was really neat, but made for a little noisier experience (luckily, the waterpark doesn't open until 9, and it closed at dark, so it didn't interfere with sleep). We did hear road traffic at night, but I have a feeling all of the waterpark-facing rooms in the main building probably have the same problem, given the location near a very busy road. The room was comfortable and, as I mentioned, convenient. Front desk service was pleasant and friendly. I was not impressed with the maid service. Our room was not serviced until well after 2pm, even though we left the room early in the morning. Other hotels use a "please clean promptly" type sign (on the back of the "do not disturb" sign) to differentiate between late sleepers (who may want later cleanings) and early risers. I think something like that would have been helpful. Also, the ice maker was not emptied, and the coffee maker was not cleaned, which made me wonder how thorough of cleaning job was actually done. Despite those problems, the many activities offered and the convenience of the room are enough for me to say I would return, and would even request the same building.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Kassie R, Digital Media Manager at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
We certainly can't thank you enough for taking a moment to review us and furthermore, visiting us. Very much our pleasure to have you! I wanted to let you know that I have already touched base with our head of housekeeping and passed along your thoughts and suggestions. She is reviewing now and wanted me to thank you for letting us know. So glad to hear that the family had a wonderful time! We can't wait to see you again and hopefully your stay will be flawless. Take care and thank you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (468)
Mankato, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

This was our first time staying at the Kalahari, and the experience was roughly comparable to that at The Great Wolf Lodge, Rome, and The Wilderness Lodge. Commons areas, the amusement area, restaurants, and both the indoor and outdoor waterparks were all kept immaculately clean. The room was grossly overpriced, but most properties in The Dells are able to price gouge, so, in all fairness, the Kalahari is no different in overpricing from other comparable self-contained waterpark lodges in the area. Supply and demand. Our room was fairly nice, if a little narrow, and the balcony was tiny. The beds were comfortable. Our main negative issues with the room were that (1) AC would not work correctly, so the heat and humidity did interfere with our sleep and room enjoyment, and (2) My wife was disappointed with the bathroom, because she found hairs in the sink and bathtub. Our son found what appeared to be a pubic hair on a chair. Despite our generous tipping, our room was not cleaned in the manner that one would expect of a nice resort. As I mentioned, we had lots of fun in the water parks (very well life-guarded) and indoor amusement and ticket-redemption games park. The workers in the amusement/arcade area were uniformly excellent, helpful, friendly, and kind. We were very impressed with every single one of these employees. We ate snacks, salads, and sandwiches at the resort on several occasions. Once again, the dining employees were all pleasant, patient, and helpful. The food was certainly a cut above this usual type of fare. Now comes the worst aspect of the whole trip, and it may very well cause us to stay elsewhere next time we go to the Dells (3 or 4 times a year). After we had driven for five hours-plus to arrive at the resort, a light-haired man with glasses said that he would check us in. It then turned into the Inquisition, with him rudely barking out orders about what documents were required (thank goodness we didn't need a passport). Then he told us that my driver's license would not be enough, since I did not actually make the reservation (the wife did). This, even though we have the same last name and share all credit cards and checks. I was tired, and I bristled a bit at his haughty attitude. A asked him why in the world my wife or I would have to walk the long distance to our car to get her license. I have stayed in hotels over 1000 nights with my wife, and this request has never been made of us. The worst thing was how cocky and unapologetic the man was. He told me, "It's our policy-no exceptions!" and, "It's really not a big deal." He might as well have been wearing a T-shirt that said: "I'm a jerk and I hate you just for being here." It's such a shame that one ultra-rude desk clerk and a sub-par cleaning job in our room could taint an otherwise fun trip, but they did, and we're going to give one of the other places in town a try next time.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
While I'm very to glad you had fun for the most part on your adventure, I am so sorry to hear about your experience while checking in. I can certainly understand your frustration and concern with this experience. As this is our policy, there is a certain way that could have been expressed to you, so that there wasn't any lasting negative experience surrounding this. I apologize that this instance left a negative impression on your stay along with the cleanliness of your room. I will assure you that I will be connecting with our team on your concerns. If you are able, can you please email me your contact info? KRizzo@KalahariResorts.com. I would love the opportunity to learn from your experience and speak with you further on this. Thank you again and I hope to hear from you soon! Take care!
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Pool- not maintain there was rocks on the pool floor in the basketball pool indoors and lazy river. Scratched my foot a couple of times. Saw 3 kids bleeding from the jungle theme outdoor slides. Hot tubs had no bubbles.

Stay- bed was horrible/ sleeping on top of rocks and wood. In the morning my body was super achy and stiff. Told manager but he didn't care.

Service & life guards- Not friendly everyone seems to hate their jobs, at least they're getting pay to stand around and be rude to customers.

Food- Damon's expensive food for low quality. Buffet too stingy when serving their meat, had to go up 3 times just to get a small portion of steak the size of your palm. $22.99/ adult and $13.99/kid

Over the years this year the Kalahari has been poorly maintained. Hopefully they'll realize that!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
I am sorry to hear that your stay was not up to your expectations. I will connect with our waterpark manager and have him look into the basketball pool and lazy river. We have constant, state-or-the-art filters that work around the clock to ensure the pools are maintained. We also check and recheck throughout the day. I am concerned with the fact you thought there were rocks in the indoor area. I will have our team inspect that further. I am sorry to hear the bed was not satisfactory to you. I will pass this along to our team. Last, I apologize with your disappointment of the Great Karoo Buffet and Damon's. I will pass this along to our Food & Beverage Director. Thank you for the feedback and the opportunity to improve. As we consistently put money back into our resorts, including the renovations to the Great Karoo, Damon's, updating the waterpark and the rooms quality, I hope that we have the opportunity to show you the level of customer service you would not only expect but deserve. Thank you again for reaching out to us. I remain in hopes that we will see you again soon.
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

I stayed in the car while my hubby checked in. Even though there was a lot of activity, he was out quickly. He had a map and was told exactly where to go. We were in the Sands building, which is a ways from all the activity, but I was pleased when we got there. The room was spacious, clean and on the ground floor with a door to a patio. I appreciated the fridge and microwave for the food we brought. The beds were comfortable and room temperature was easily controlled. The outdoor waterpark was amazing. There were two areas that were perfect for our 4 year old and 1 1/2 year old. The indoor theme park was fun for the 4 year old but my youngest really could only go on the carousel. There are lots of food choices but were too pricey for us. If you can swing it, there is lots to do and eat and I had no problems with staff.

Green Features: I really appreciated that the Kalahari recycles soap products. I always bring my own and its great to know that they give to others in need. Paying it forward to make the world a better place!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
So wonderful to hear about your visit. Thank you so much for taking a moment to review us. Sounds like the family had a blast! My 4 year old love the Indoor Theme Park as well, especially the mini ropes course Sky Tykes. Can't wait to see the whole family again. Thank you so much!
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Check in was at 4pm. When we got there the staff was very impatient and rude. They seem like they hate their jobs attitude ( no smiling, very impatient, and rushing through everything). We booked 4 nights... The 2nd night we tried the buffet. $22.99/adult. I spent $132. The food was great, but the meat cutter/ manager was rude.. I was standing at the buffet table for him to cut a piece of steak. I know he saw me but he ignored me and another lady. He went around stirring other food. By the time he came to us he took his time getting himself ready. The lady standing next to me demanded to see a manager. He said he was the manager. She told him what an awful service hes doing. He gave us the i dont care attitude. Last time im spending money there for bad service.

Our room is horrible we had to stay in a room on the second floor looking at a wall. Found a cigrette on top of mirrior. Fridge is not cold. Asked to change rooms with a better view. They moved us 4 rooms with same view. Got angry called back and was put on hold for 30 min. Lady was giving me an attitude. By the time they found a room, turns out they down graded our room and didnt let me know till i got there. The new rooms phone was not working and tv. Went out to my room found a maintence guy. He fixed it... Oh my gosh what a diaster this place is.

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review us! I am sorry to hear about your experience. I would love the opportunity to learn more about your experience and connect with you. Would you be able to email me? My email is KRizzo@KalahariResorts.com. Thank you for passing along your thoughts. I would never want you to leave with this experience as your memory of Kalahari. Hope to speak with you more soon. Take care!
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Stayed August 24-27. Stayed in room 1417. My daughter woke up to a bed bug crawling by her face. Brought the bug to the front desk. After leaving manager called to let me know another bed bug was found behind the headboard. Manager told me that the rooms are inspected in between guests to be proactive. This is hard to believe since I found 2 one dollar bills behind the bed after finding the bed bug. When we arrived my husband found a used washcloth hanging up in the bathroom with makeup all over it.

• Stayed August 2013
We appreciate you letting us know your concerns. As you know, we take concerns of this nature very seriously. Our team is fully trained in identifying and preventing the spread of Bed Bugs. On a very rare occasion, a guest can bring bed bugs in, it does not have to do with the cleanliness of the resort. If this happens, at that moment, our trained housekeeping team will identify and correct the issue. As you mentioned, this is the process that you were able to address with Greg. We have strict procedures we implement to ensure the situation is corrected. We also bring a state licensed professional and company to heat the room to ensure that the room is treated and properly corrected. As you would suspect, during this several day process, this area is completely closed off. Please make no mistake, our team is fully prepared and trained to address this concern. Again, it is a very rare occasion this does happen, but we have our protocols in place to correct this immediately. I do believe you have been in contact with Greg. If you have any further concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out to Greg again. Thank you.
Brainerd, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

My husband,our 7yr old and I planned a trip to the dells. We spent three nights at Mt Olympus then went to Kalahari for a night. After getting to Kalahari we were so disappointed we had wasted our time and money at Olympus. There was no comparison. Kalahari was so much nicer. Our daughter had watched videos online of Kalahari and was so excited, it was even better in person. The staff were all friendly and professional. Thanks for a wonderful time. Can't wait to visit again!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Kalahari Resorts & Conventions? Share your experiences!