“Tons of FUN for the kids!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Kalahari Resorts & Conventions

We can't find prices for this hotel
Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
1305 Kalahari Drive, Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Ranked #14 of 77 hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Green Bay, Wisconsin
“Tons of FUN for the kids!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

I had a 2 day convention to attend at the Kalahari. I brought my wife and kids along. They had a blast while I worked. Kids are 8 and 10 years in age and were able to do pretty much everything they wanted to do (slides and rides at theme park). Tons of stuff to do and places to eat. One never needs to leave the resort once they get there. Stock up on groceries and maybe a meal or two to save some money........things do add up in a hurry and you can spend more money than you want.
We had just a basic room but thought it was just fine for the 4 of us. TV was flat panel HOWEVER it was under-sized for the room! Clean and spacious.
I did have a problem with the guy standing outside waiting to check us in. You'll see them....they are the ones stuck wearing the goofy hats and uniforms. He was rude and a jerk! Not helpful at all. He was quick to say our room was not ready (we were 1 1/2 hours early for the 4pm check-in time) and that was it. I asked him where I should park, and he said either to the right or the left. Then I had to ask him how to get to a water park (that is permitted to use after 12:00 noon on day of your arrival) and he just pointed. I then told him that the vehicle behind mine was my wife and she was with me and would just follow me to a parking spot. His reply, "good, that makes my job easier" I was VERY put off by this jerk! So, after we park and get swim suits rounded up so we could dress in a locker room, we get into the main lobby. I thought I'd get in line and ask about our room. GET THIS......10 minutes later after dealing w/ the jerk outside, our room just happened to be ready for check in. GO FIGURE!!??? That is my only complaint. Stay here!! Have fun! Enjoy! Be careful not to spend a ton of extra money!!! It can easily be done!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
It's so wonderful that your wife and kids were able to join you during your convention at Kalahari Resort. It sounds like they all had an awesome time enjoying themselves in the Waterpark. I hope you were able to have some fun at either the Indoor or Outdoor Waterpark as well. I apologize and am disturbed by the comments made by our bell-staff. That is not how we do things here at Kalahari Resort. We will take the feedback you provided us with into deep consideration. Thank you for filling out a review and we hope to see you back soon!

1,575 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (376)
Kearney, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

We are from Nebraska, about a nine hour trip. We did swing through Minneapolis on the way to the dells. I don't think the "dells" are worth a 9 hour trip. It is very touristy. Kalahari was nice, no complaints. I read several reviews and I don't agree with the negative comments, but I'm not a picky person. Rooms were nice and having two bathrooms is great at a water park. We did have to call to get our room cleaned once? I think they prioritize the check out rooms. Otherwise a fun place for locals.

• Stayed July 2013
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Thank you for the long journey to give Kalahari Resort a visit. I am so glad to hear you had a great little getaway and were able to enjoy the Waterpark. It's nice to hear you had no complaints and really enjoyed your room style. Take care and we hope to see you again on your next road trip!
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

Our family enjoyed the Kalahari. We stayed in the Sands building which was quiet and clean. The room was comfortable with a nice balcony. The pool in the back is a great bonus, not crowded and very relaxing. The main water parks were well maintained and clean, several snack and bar areas throughout to keep everyone happy. My kids, ages 8 and 11 had a blast. The indoor theme park was extra, we chose to just pay for a ferris wheel ride, the rest of the theme park seemed like any other arcade in the Dells. I would think that a $350 a night room would include theme park tickets as well, but that's not the case. The lobby was well decorated and the baby lions were a bonus, be prepared to dish out $35 for a picture, we passed. The sweet shop had a good selection of candy and ice cream for a night time snack. The gift shops have a good selection of gifts and Kalahari attire. There is also an AMC movie theatre attached to the building but we were too busy cramming everything else into our 2 day stay. Overall, very impressed, we'll come back again. I wasn't told if they have discounts for returning customers, maybe someone else has insight into a rewards program. Thanks Kalahari.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
I am so pleased to hear you had a relaxing vacation at Kalahari. The Sands building is home to our condos, so you get a little bit more of a relaxed atmosphere there. It sounds like you enjoyed the balcony too! As far as activities, it sounds like you were able to cram a lot into your short vacation. I am happy to hear you will be visiting us again soon. We can't wait to have you back! Take care.
Fargo, North Dakota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

The combination room was great. Plenty of room and a kitchen was very nice. The only problem I had was the restriction on my kids having fun. They are 4 and 6 and they were told they couldn't jump into the pool. Even though they had life jackets and were jumping into a pool that I was standing in the lifeguard said it was "scaring her". They were also told they couldn't go down the little small kid slides backwards and they couldn't go in the hot tub. The resort is nice and they have everything right on site that a family needs to have a good time. The problem is the restrictions on everything. It's a no fun zone. I measured my 4 year old at home and he was 43 inches. According to Kalahari's measurements he was 40 inches. A lot of the slides are minimum of 42 inches. You better make sure your kid is 45 inches or he can't go down a big slide. My kid was bummed after he went down 3 slides and then a lifeguard measured him and said he couldn't go anymore. This place is a no fun zone for sure. Go some where else that lets kids have fun.

Room Tip: The combination room was excellent if you want to save money by bringing your own food and cook in t...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
While I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the room, I'm discouraged to hear that you didn't have fun while visiting us. Please make no mistake, safety is our number 1 priority and our rules and procedures are in place for the safety of all of our guests. I can certainly understand being frustrated when you as the parent is present, however we are unable to bend on rules set in place for the safety of everyone that comes through our doors. I'm sorry to hear that this negatively impacted your stay. I will be sure to pass along your comments to our waterpark director for review to ensure all proper rules are in place. Thank you for giving us that opportunity and furthermore taking a moment to reach out to us. I do hope that we will be able to see everyone again in the future. Take care and thank you!
Plainfield, Illinois, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We like to come during the winter when we can't be outside because of the cold. We really had a great time in the indoor water park and the game area. My husband forgot his swim trunks and the gift shop had very affordable ones for him there. We didn't check out the bowling alley but we'll be sure to next time.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
I am so thrilled to hear you were all able to enjoy the Waterpark even with the swimsuit dilemma. The Indoor Waterpark is the perfect place to spend a winter day, we couldn't agree more. Next time you visit, it sounds like you will have to make a short walk over to the Indoor Theme Park for a game of Bowling!
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

We had an awesome time at the resort. Booked online at last minute and opted for the package Family Summer Splash for four. Hut room package included a balcony (be sure to specific park or pool view, upper levels are the best in the Sands Building. Package included 4 of each Water park, Theme park passes, Breakfast coupon for two days value of $40 Buffett had excellent options for all and quite a savings for a family of 4. Safari passes for 4, Tommy Barlette Water Show. Great to have an off resort activity two free for four. Coupon for four for pizza and drinks, bowling coupon for 4 included shows, and $50 coupon for dinner at resort restaurant, last but not least $20 coupon for services at Spa. Hotel was clean, plenty of staff at man hotel check in. Would recommend for young, teens and older fun relaxing environment....was not crowded either!

Room Tip: Upper level balcony middle of building with pool view for Sands building.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
The online package deals available on our Website are a great way to experience the whole Resort at the best value. This summer we were happy to offer complimentary Tommy Bartlett & Timbavati Wildlife Park tickets to all of our registered guests. With those and everything included in your Summer Splash package, it sounds like you had a great time while on your getaway to the Resort. Take care and we hope to see you back soon!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

We planned a family vacation for 17 people. We rented a Luxury Condiminium which was just beautiful! The first day there was an issue with housekeeping (just dropped of towels and didn't clean) but once we got that straightened out all went smooth! The house was spacious with 5 bedroom and 5 bathrooms. Plenty of room for the family to be together if we wanted, and enough room if we needed our space. I have nothing bad to say (except for 1 employee at one of the carry out food places)! The staff at Kalahari was very helpfu, the waterparks, lobby and every inch of this place is clean. The waterparks were fabulous. Plenty of towels and places to sit. We were concerned becasue we read other reviews that said the waterparks get very crowded. We were there this past week (August) and we had no problem at all. Yes, there were some lines, but nothing to complain about. If we go to the Dells again, we would ABSOLOUTELY stay here again!

Room Tip: This place is enourmous. I would suggest if you have small children to request a room in the main b...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
I am so thrilled to hear all of you had such a wonderful time while visiting our Resort. It's nice to hear there was plenty of room for your family to be together and all have a great time. We strive to go above and beyond in every way we can at our Resort. That includes keeping the whole Resort clean and maintaining all of our safety standard through the property. Thank you again for such a wonderful review and we hope to see you all back very soon for another visit!

Been to Kalahari Resorts & Conventions? Share your experiences!