“Had a great time with the day passes!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Kalahari Resorts & Conventions

We can't find prices for this hotel
Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Save Saved
You added Kalahari Resorts & Conventions to your Saves list
1305 Kalahari Drive, Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Ranked #15 of 78 hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Waukegan
“Had a great time with the day passes!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

The whole place was very cool! The waterpark and indoor theme park were both huge with plenty of things to do. Edward in the waterpark was awesome. He was handing out towels on our way in and made it a point to make sure we were having a good time. Josh in the lazer tag area was really cool too. You could tell he enjoyed his job and even if he didn't, he seemed like it and that's what counts. If he was having fun while working, I can have fun while playing. These staff members made our stay better. The indoor theme park was a lot of fun and the unlimited cards were definitely worth it. Overall we had a great time.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
I am so happy you were able to visit the Waterparks and Indoor Theme Park with Day Passes. I will send notes over to Edward in the Waterpark and Josh at the Theme Park thanking them for their good work. It sounds like you were able to take advantage of all of the activities Kalahari Resort has to offer. Take care and we hope to see you back again soon!

1,687 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (403)
Merrill, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

My group stayed at the Kalahari because the convention we were attending was being held there.

The first time we were here the service was top-notch, everything was clean and one short request was all it took to get something we needed. That's not as true as before, which makes me sad because this is a beautiful place and a great place for a convention.

We'd asked for a room close to convention activities because I'm disabled, but were placed in another building. The room was very clean but we wound up so far from activities that I didn't have the ability to go see the water park that I had a free wristband for (thanks for that btw, but I'd have rather had better amenities or my original request to be close to the convention center honored than the water park admission since I couldn't walk far enough to get any use from it.). The room was really nice--even a small balcony! The only complaint about the room was that the bathroom was so small it wouldn't have been possible to change clothes in it unless you started by standing in the shower. The microwave and refrigerator in the room was awesome though--it helped a lot with saving some money on food to help defray the room cost.

I didn't eat on-site--most of the hotel's food offerings were just too far for me to hike to get to from the convention center except for a bar that doesn't serve food and had bartenders too busy doing flair work to actually wait on customers. Prices for food and drink were quite high ($3 for a plastic cup of soda)--we went off-site to one of the many restaurants nearby for meals. Selections in the drink machines were too limited for me to be able to use them and I wasn't allowed to bring my own into the convention center (it would have been nice to have had ONE choice in the machine sweetened with sugar rather than artificial sweeteners or high fructose corn syrup--at $2.50 a bottle I would think it'd be worth it to make sure the machines are maximized for usefulness. Perhaps this sounds petty but I wasn't the only one with issues with food and drink while attending the conference). Someone did buy me a latte at the coffee shop but it was so weak that I didn't taste coffee in it and I understand it was quite expensive to boot. If you're going to offer espresso drinks and charge more than Starbucks does, at least make them as good if not better than Starbucks' offerings, because most of our group went elsewhere for their caffeine boosts once they discovered the shortcut of not using enough espresso in the drinks that this hotel's coffee shop used to make more money.

This trip staff seemed overstressed--requests took over an hour to complete when the desk in our building was only a short walk down the hall, some staffers were short-tempered and curt when asked for things.

The Kalahari is a great place for a family trip--some of our group had family with them who enjoyed the water park and resort areas--but needs some work if they're going to expect convention attendees to spend almost $150/night at group rates for these rooms, this poor grade of service and still have to practically hire a taxi to get to parts of the hotel where they can get something to eat or drink that's allowed in the convention center (I do understand why outside food is discouraged, but why weren't there concession stands or drink kiosks to accommodate those of us there to spend our time in the convention center?). I would think a large resort could do better, especially in the off-season when they aren't as packed as during the summer?

Room Tip: Be clear on what parts of the resort you want to be close to, then CONFIRM that your needs were met.
Green Features: I prefer little room care during my stays so this really didn't affect me much.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for reviewing your visit to our Resort. I apologize about the room situation. I am so sorry we were not able to accommodate your request this time. If you visit the Resort again, feel free to send me an email at KRizzo@kalahariresorts.com and I will make sure you are in an accessible room with plenty of space during your next visit. I am happy to hear you got a lot of use out of the in-room microwave and refrigerator. We will take your requests about food kiosks and machines within the convention center into our consideration. We are constantly finding ways to update and improve our Resort and your input helps a lot with the information we are seeking. Thank you again and take care!
Hoffman Estates, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

We have been coming several tmes over the last 10 years and are noticing it starting to go down hill. itseems like they are in a classic case of profit squeezing. In general, the entire place is clean and there is alot to do. However, when you look up close you notice the slides are not being maintained as well and the staffing for the waterslides is at a bare minimum. Typically there is one life guard loading people onto 3 different slides at once creating longer than necessary lines.
The food is outrageously expensive which is to be expected, the problem is try to get a sandwich from the grill they way you want it and you get blank stares - no one speaks any English. I will say the food is fairly decent.
EXCEPT - Stay away from the Ivory Coast restaurant. 3 bucks for a glass a milk, and 3 bucks every time you refill it. The biggest issue was they were advertising Boneless chicken wings for 10 bucks, when we got them as an appetizer they were really just kids chicken nuggets cut up in smaller pieces. When i pointed this out to the waitress she snapped at me and said "what do you want me to do about it!". I pointed this out to the manager and he assured me they are not trying to be deceptive, but the fact is they are, They tried to offer a free desert , but it was something we don't like, and they did not even offer to take it off the bill.
Another aggravation was the room TV. while watch a channel for 20 minutes it would suddenly go out for a couple hours. this happened the entire stay, and I will say maintenance people were up trying to fix it, and those guys were very nice, but the bottom line is it never got fixed.Something to do with a software upgrade from their TV provider.
Hey, if they have a provider for service, the provider sould actually provide. I work in an industry where I deal with this stuff all the time and you have to hold these providers accountable to get decent service. Not the end of the world since we normally dont watch much tv, but for 250 per night the little things should work.
The dinner buffet is 22 bucks a person(adult) and while it is clean and well presented, if you really look at what they have, it is no different than Old Country Buffet, just presented better.
The frozen drinks at the bar start at 8 bucks. ouch!
They are charging premium prices on everything for an average product.
Most stuff is ok, but really, for what you are spending, it should be better.

Room Tip: book ahead to get an upper floor balcony facing the pool. if they charge extra for that you are not...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for coming to visit us time and again. We very much appreciate your patronage. I did want to let you know that I have already taken your review and connected with our Food and Beverage Director. He will be looking into your pricing concerns as well as your concerns with the Ivory Coast. We would never want you to feel as if there wasn't a value in your stay. I can certainly understand your frustration with the TV. I will be sure to connect with our IT department and ensure the upgrades are functioning properly. We are constantly renovating and updating all parts of our resort. I will be sure to pass along your thoughts on the slides and the waterpark. Thank you for letting us know! I do hope that we will see you again! Take care and thank you for everything!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

There are a lot of cool things at Kalahari - from tigers on display in the lobby and free cookie decorating in the afternoon, to all the waterpark and themepark fun you can imagine. We came here for a short vacation in August, and all seven kids age 1-16 had a blast.

We stayed in a 3 bedroom set-up that had a kitchen/living room between all the rooms. I am rating at 4 stars because the rooms were just average, and they were in the building across the parking lot (so we had a LOOOOONG walk to the waterpark). The bed was not comfortable at all, but I don't expect much at hotels. One perk was that there is a large outdoor pool located behind the building where our rooms were, and it was never busy. The kids enjoyed several hours in that pool.

We had a couple instances where we needed personal care from the staff, and I would give them 5+ stars on professionalism and compassion.

Food and beverage fees at the concession areas were higher than I would prefer, but not astounding.

Overall this was a nice little getaway for our large family. I would go back again.

Room Tip: If you plan to spend a lot of time at the waterpark or themepark, I would try to get a room in that...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
I am so glad your kids had a blast while visiting Kalahari Resort. It sounds like you were in the Sands Building. Luckily, everything is under one roof, so just a small walk over the skywalk and you're in the Resort! The Sands building is meant to be even more of a relaxing getaway and so that is why it seems a little quieter over there. I am so glad our staff was so accommodating and professional for everything you needed. We strive to go above and beyond and are so happy we were able to provide that service for you. Again, I am so thrilled your family had such a wonderful getaway and are glad to hear you'll be back. Take care and we'll see you soon!
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Traveled here about a year ago with the family. Everything about it was great, from the huge waterpark to luxurious guest rooms. This is one of the only hotels I ever consider staying at when in the dells. However, the price is a bit high. I understand why, but for about half the cost you could stay at the Great Wolf Lodge thats almost equally as nice as Kalahari. And be warned: my vegetarian son asked the waitress at Damon's sports grill if they could substitute the side of chicken nuggets for french fries, and the waitress was very rude and refused to substitute. So next time we will eat elsewhere. Other than that, great stay, will be back someday!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
I am so happy you always have such a wonderful time while visiting Kalahari Resort. It disturbs me to hear about the situation at Damon's. I can assure you it will not happen again. I'm happy to hear that you had such a wonderful time within our Waterparks. Also, we're thrilled to hear you'll be back. We are continually upgrading and renovating to be the best we can be for our guests! Take care and we'll see you next time!
Whiting, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Family of five stayed in a King Lodge room 2041 in Sands Bldg. August 1st thru 4th. We had no problem checking in early on Thursday at 1:30 our room was ready. When we pulled up there was a bell boy who helped us unload car and took our bags to the room & unloaded them. I thought I was at Disney. When we walked in the room the kids said WOW. The room was very nice. There was a king bed and a separate room with full kitchen, dining area and sofa sleeper. Also a fireplace, which we didn't use. Room was clean, bed comfortable.

The Sands building even has its own pool & hot tub. The pool however is not heated & didn't have any slides for the kids. It was very nice however & quite large. There is an indoor walkway from Sands to main resort. We didn't mind the walk, took 5 min. maybe. I wish we had warmer weather when we were there. It was around 80 degrees, but there was a cool breeze. The resort had so much to do you wouldn't even have to leave if you didn't want to.

We received free Tommy Bartlett show tickets which we took advantage of and also Timbavati Wildlife Preserve which we also visited. It was nice to get in both for free. We did not eat at any of the restaurants but did visit Damon's for drinks while the kids played in the indoor amusement park. The amusement park is very nice & clean. The kids get cards that you can reload with money to play the games. We mostly stayed in the indoor water park which kept the kids entertained for hours. The adults had fun in the swim up bar & hot tub. The resort got much busier on Fri. & Sat. however, we found our room to be very quiet. No kids running or yelling in the halls to all hours.

We have stayed at many places over the years in the Dells, and in our opinion, Kalahari is the only resort we would stay at in the future. Worth the extra money to stay there.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor end unit if you have trouble sleeping & want quiet.
Green Features: If you don't use the toiletries, they donate them.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Wow! I am so thrilled you had such a wonderful experience while visiting Kalahari. I am so glad everyone found something enjoyable for themselves to do. With everything located on property under 1 roof, there is no hassle with driving between buildings or dealing with pick-up times. The Sands building is meant to be more of a relaxed atmosphere and that's why the private Sands Pool doesn't include a waterslide. I am so happy you were able to take advantage of the Free Tommy Bartlett and Timbavati Wildlife Park tickets we are providing to every registered guest this summer. It's exciting that you spent so much time at the Indoor Waterpark and just all together enjoyed your vacation. Take care and we hope to see you back to visit soon!
Fairmont, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Beautiful resort with lots to do. Family of four loved it. We have stayed at this property twice and have had great customer service. Water park is clean and lots and lots of fun. Food was very good as well. We will be back for a visit again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Thank you for the review. I am so happy your family always has such a great time visiting the Resort. We appreciate the compliments on the cleanliness and food. I hope you were able to make it a few hours over at the Waterpark. If not, there's always next time. Take care.

Been to Kalahari Resorts & Conventions? Share your experiences!