“Very nice family vacation resort” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Kalahari Resorts & Conventions

We can't find prices for this hotel
Kalahari Resorts & Conventions
Save Saved
You added Kalahari Resorts & Conventions to your Saves list
1305 Kalahari Drive, Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Ranked #14 of 78 hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Chicago, IL
“Very nice family vacation resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

We took our little one (3 1/2 yrs old) on her first family vacation here a few weeks ago. Overall we had a wonderful time. The resort is large enough that you don't have to leave for any other amenities or actives, and for the most part, we didn't leave. Our room was in the adjacent Sands building, which connects to the main resort through a skywalk. The room itself was small and nothing impressive. It was clean enough, but not exactly immaculate. It served its function, as we really didn't use the room for anything but sleeping after a long day of playing.

The water park is the main attraction here, and it really is spectacular. We've been to a few indoor water parks before, but what set this one apart was the sheer size, and most importantly, the area of the park that was designed for toddlers. Most water parks are really geared towards older kids or pre-teenagers, but the Tiko's Watering Hole, which is the kids area was excellent. Our little one loved all the water slides and activities there, and we loved not having to shield her from older kids or teenagers knocking her over to get to a slide. The lazy river was another area that we were all able to enjoy. It did look like there was plenty of over areas for older kids, teenagers, and even a swim up bar for adults. So there really is something for everyone.

The arcade in the lobby outside the water park had video games for people of all ages, and a kids climbing course that was perfect for our little one.

There's a variety of restaurants, all of which were decent. Nothing mind blowing, but better than average resort fare.

All of the staff we encountered were very helpful, friendly and professional. Overall this was a very positive experience, and a family resort that we would certainly visit again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

1,679 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (401)
Brooklyn Park, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Beds are hard and uncomfortable.They got HDTV with crappy anolog signal.They picture was stretched out.I could not even enjoy TV in the room.The Damons restraunt was awful.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
I am sorry to hear about your experience and that you did not enjoy your stay. We appreciate you reaching out to us. Unfortunately from your review, I am unable to determine specifically what your concerns with Damon's, but if you would like to let me know, I am more then happy to look into that for you. Please feel free to email me at KRizzo@KalahariResorts.com. I am sorry about your beds. If you are on property again and feel the beds to be uncomfortable, please don't hesitate to let us know. We will do our best to accommodate you. I will also follow up with our IT department on the TVs. Thank you again for taking the time to review us. I hope to hear more from you soon.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

We went to the Kalahari at the end of winter break. We stayed for 2 nights. I was blown away by the cleanliness of the water park and resort. We didn't leave the resort at all, because it was too cold, so we only ate at the resort. The food was pretty good at the restaurants and reasonably priced. We stayed in a suite and brought our own food for breakfast to make it easier. We are excited to go back!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Our family took a week long trip to the Dells and one of the places we stayed while there was the Kalahari Resorts. We had so much fun at this resort! We stayed in a king lodge suite which was nicely decorated, spacious and pretty clean. The suite was located in the Sands building which connects to the main resort via a sky walk. We estimated that it was almost .3 miles to get from our room to the waterpark. That is a long walk but we enjoyed being able to get the extra exercise in. The Sands Suites building also seemed to be quieter than the resort side. We opted for the suite because it has a full kitchen, which we stocked for our stay. Eating in is much more economical and the money we saved from not eating out at the resort more than paid for the extra money it cost to get the suite. The suite also had an enormous whirlpool tub! It seems unusual to have a soaking tub in a room at a waterpark, but it actually ended up being a great relaxing retreat for mom after being in the chaos of the waterpark all day.

The resort has so much to do on the property that once you get there you definitely won't need to leave. Our family tried to do everything. One activity that we enjoyed the most was painting pottery. We all picked a dinner plate to paint, which we use all the time now for family dinners.

The waterpark had lots of different types of attractions to play on. The lifeguard staff was very vigilant and attentive. The only complaint, and it is a small one, is for there to be more lounge type seating in the waterpark. It would be nice if there was a place for moms and dads to relax while the kids play in the pool areas.

We also got tickets to the indoor amusement park. While this was MY least favorite part of the resort, my oldest son (he's 10) loved it because of the elevated rope course and rock climbing wall.

All-in-all this resort offers families so much to do, is well kept and the service was responsive. I would certainly recommend anyone I know to go stay at the Kalahari. The room cost are pretty high so staying there for several nights is likely. However, if you are interested in seeing more of the Dells as part of your trip, you can do what our family did. We stayed at the Kalahari for 2 nights (which gave us 3 days in the indoor parks) and then we checked out and went next door and stayed at a much more economic hotel for the rest of our trip.

Room Tip: The Sands building seems to be quieter than the main resort.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Sounds like you had such a blast! That is so great to hear! The Kind Lodge Suite is a favorite and perfect for family travel, so I am glad to hear you were able to take advantage of it. I also wanted to thank you for taking time out of your day to provide tips for future guests. That is simply amazing! Through the year, we do a ton of promotions and specials. Hopefully you can snag a great deal that works for you and come visit again soon. Take care and thank you so much!
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

My husband and I recently spent the weekend at the Kalahari Wisconsin Dells. We had a fireplace lodge room on the 4th floor of the Sands building.

My first impression is that this compound is impressively large. After checking in at the main check in, we drove to the Sands parking lot and went up to check out the room. Upon entering the room, it all looked very nice on the surface.

After a 3 hour drive, and after putting my bag in the closet I had to use the restroom. I closed the door, and there was a used towel on the hook of the back of the door. I'm not usually a very picky traveler, but this just kind of left a bad first impression of the room cleanliness to me.
Otherwise, the room appeared to be pretty clean. Bed was not the best, but certainly not the worst hotel bed...but did seem like in the near future they may need to replace it due to 'ruts' in it. We had a full kitchen supplied with cooking/dining utensils. I wanted some ice, however the ice bucket did not have an ice bag with it. Without knowing what previous occupants may or may not have used the bucket for, I had to pass on using the bucket. Also, when I went to grab a dish from the cupboards, it appeared to be simply rinsed out, didn't have that shiny clean from the dishwasher look/feel to it. There is a dishwasher in that room. I don't mean to sound whiny, these are just things that surprised me a bit, and left a bad impression.

The actual resort compound is huge, with SO very many things to do. We didn't even use the water park, we were busy with the bowling, mini-golf, and catching a movie at the adjoined AMC movie theater. We had dinner one night at the Kahunaville restaurant within the hotel, and the food/drinks and service there were really good.

Overall, I wouldn't return to Kalahari to stay in the hotel, but seeing that the activities there are open to the public I would return with the rest of the family for an afternoon of fun activities.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for coming to visit us and taking the time to review our resort! It was our pleasure to have you. While I am thrilled to hear you enjoyed yourself in the parks, I am very discouraged to hear that your room was not up to your expectations. I will address that with our Rooms Division Manager. I apologize for this experience you had. I do hope in the future, you will give Kalahari another change, be it on a day pass or an overnight stay, we would love the opportunity to show you the experience you would expect but more importantly, deserve. Thank you again for reaching out to us. Hope to see you soon.
New London, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I have been to all the major waterparks in WI Dells and by far, Kalahari is the best! It is worth every penny! The indoor water park is warm, the water temperature is perfect. Everything is centralized in the same area for water play indoors, you don't have to walk from one area to another. We were there this week-end and it was a blast! The indoor theme park is also a lot of fun. The ferris wheel, go-carts, merry-go-round, arcade games and collecting tickets you could redeem for gifts, even bowling! There are rock walls to climb, rope climbs, mini golf. The staff is so friendly and patient with the kids. We had the 2 room family suite which was awesome, beds were very comfortable, rooms were quiet and large sized. We had 3 generations of our family in that suite and lots of room left over. The food in the Ivory Coast is very good and has a nice menu with a variety of items. So much fun for everyone! Smiles were non-stop and lifetime memories were made. Can't wait to go back and create more! This place EXCEEDS EXCELLENT!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Naperville, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

This place is like a disney world of Wisconsin. Tons of options with the waterslide park, huge game room, indoor go karts, bowling alley...crazy how much there is to do! Waterpark is a great amenity, and the only amenity they have included in the price. Everything else has an extra charge, and this place isn't cheap. Rooms need an update.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Kassie R, Social Media Coordinator at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Thank you for reviewing us! So great to hear that you had fun in the waterpark and theme park. We just added a few attractions in both, so hopefully you were able to take advantage of those. For the future, check out our specials on our site. We have some packages that include things like the Indoor Theme Park, breakfast and dinner credits. Hopefully that is a useful tip. I apologize you felt as if the rooms needed updating. We are in the process of updating the bedding, so hopefully that will help for next time. If there is anything not up to your expectation when you arrive next time, please don't hesitate to let us know and we will do our best to accommodate you in every way. Looking forward to seeing you again in the future. Take care!

Been to Kalahari Resorts & Conventions? Share your experiences!