“Property is neither a resort nor a hotel” 1 of 5 stars

Polynesian Resort Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   857 N. Frontage Rd., Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Ranked #64 of 78 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Property is neither a resort nor a hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Note that after checking in we were told that we could pick up our parking pass from the “Concierge” desk which was a starting point for high pressure “time share” sales. They offered $100 if we would be willing to spend an hour going through a tour of their proposed plans for remodeling, etc. We politely declined but they were still hard selling even as we were walking away. Upon entering our hotel room on a hot, humid day, I was smacked in the face with a dank smell reminiscent of cat or wet dog made worse by artificial air freshener. The dankness was pretty expected given our room was in a “water resort”. Further, our room was severely outdated and for the price we paid, it was not a great value. The furnishings were old with a box TV weirdly placed but we later realized it was probably so that from both bed and sleeper sofa guests may watch the TV. The pool area and amenities were really in need of just some plain old TLC: Weeds were popping up through the cracks, the bar area was outdated and the Towels very thin and threadbare. While the room was generally clean, clearly this place in is transition and they’re not doing anything to update or remodel until they sell the timeshares.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Merrill
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

So terrible I am fired up writing about it!!! My husband an I booked a weekend here for our honeymoon, the pictures online looked great and when we called the lady said this was the perfect place to have a honeymoon blah blah blah. Long story short we were their for 5 mins, got to our room and were disgusted we complained long enough we got a refund and left. Never ever again!!! To start when you walk in it's filthy, the pool indoors is dirty and grimmy, the carpet is lifted off the floor and stained. We get to our room and it smells like mold, the bed didn't even move when we say on it it wasSO hard!!! All the appliances were old an nasty, coffee pot was dirty there was a used tampon on our bathroom floor, just terrible!!!! Do not waste your time and money. This place should be shut down! We ended up going to mount Olympus for te same price a night and a beautiful room, great customer service and a joyful weekend!

Manitowoc, Wisconsin, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I would not recommend staying here at all! My purse along with another ladies purse and gentleman's wallet were stolen out of the outdoor pool area. No cameras at all. Thought this was a family friendly place to stay. Indoor water park was never open. Rooms were very outdated and not very clean. Staff was not attentive. Did not care that things were stolen. We left one night early and they would not refund us nor could they get ahold of a manager for us to talk to. Horrible vacation!

Room Tip: Do not come!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Where do I start? First of all when I booked, I made sure it was a room with a balcony. I get there and I get one of maybe 8 rooms that don't have a balcony. In talking to the front desk they were more than happy to switch my room even tho it was an inconvenience. They told me they had no balcony rooms available but would switch me to a pool walkout which was a "huge upgrade" for what I paid. After waiting two hours for them to clean the room we finally got our keys. The bathroom was disgusting, dirt still in the shower and sink. Duct tape holding down the carpet (classy). And the wallpaper was peeling off and you could tell they didn't vacuum. I don't see how this was an "upgrade" it was actually worse than the room without the balcony. The pools were ICE cold. Really? The middle of august and they are ice cold. We didn't even want to go in them. Towels left everywhere outside and even inside in the indoor pool area. Half the vending machines didn't even work, and nobody told us we needed a parking pass when checking in. Luckily the concierge lady stopped me and asked if I got my pass. How nice the front desk didn't let me know, I'm sure I would have been thrilled if my car got towed. It was close to town and close to the casino but that's about the only good thing. We did not pay a lot, and ended up checking out a day early but this was definitely not worth what I paid. Especially since the "amazing waterpark" only had two slides. After you go down it once you are kind of over it. The housekeeping staff didn't even speak English and we had to call maintenance because only 2 of our 4 outlets worked. The guy came right away flipped a switch and walked out.. Well sorry we didn't know there were switches that controlled this. Overall just not worth it. Next time I will pay the extra and go to great wolf or anywhere else really.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My husband and I wanted to take the kids to a little vacation before they started school. The pools were fine and not a lot of people. But the staff was not friendly at all. When I would call the front desk, they would keep me on hold (by just putting the phone down) and not really let me finish talking. When I would go to the front desk, they kinda ignored me and would leave me standing there for a couple of min. before taking care of me. The room didn't look so clean. The blankets had rips and stains on them. But like I said, the pools outside were nice, and fun. My kids didn't really pay attention to the rest so at least they had a good time.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

The experience from the beginning was a disappointment. They said are room would be available by 4 p.m. but that was not the case. We waited til 4:30 to finally get our room. Their excuse was they had to have the staff clean up the room before we enter. Actually it wasn't even the room we reserved in advance. We finally get up to our to find a musty run down room with dust particles everywhere and dust on the carpet which wasn't vacuumed at all. We make our way to the restroom to find no towels or wash cloths stocked for use and to top it off our toilet seat was detached from the actual toilet. The only positive thing about this resort was the water park. The room we stayed in was 273. This is important for people in the future who decide to stay at this joke of a resort. Me and my wife came back home to find red bumps all over our arms and legs. Itched like hell and we were miserable for days. Went to the clinic and found out we were victims of bed bugs. We now had to bomb our house and discard our brand new bed. If you can avoid this place entirely and can dish out a little more money to make your vacation at the dells a memorable one in good way instead of a terrible one please do so.

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 weeks ago

We attempted to stay at this hotel as part of a "free" package deal. It wasn't even good enough to stay there for free. We checked in and went to the room. It was outdated, yes, but to me that isn't a big deal. I just want a room that's clean. The bathroom had mold in the grout along the tub. The last guest's personal belongings (a dress and a t-shirt) were still hanging on the back of the bathroom door. That didn't give me a lot of confidence in how well the room had been cleaned prior to us arriving. The blanket that was sitting in the closet as an extra to use if needed was covered in long dark hair. The carpet looked as though it had been vacuumed, but there were crumbs around the edges of the bed on the floor. It looked like the main open areas had been done, but not much attention was paid to the periphery. The couch had dark upholstery, so if there were issues there, I couldn't see them, but I did not want to sit on it anyway. The condition of the rest of the room did not give me confidence to even sit down. I have three kids (5, 3 and 1) and I didn't want them to touch anything. Since we were supposed to stay there for three nights, it seemed like the best thing to do was go somewhere else. I went up to the front desk and politely let them know that we weren't staying and the woman behind the desk did not look surprised or even inquire about why we were leaving. I was left with the impression that we weren't the first guests to make that decision. I did tell her that they should have someone remove the clothes from the bathroom and she just gave me an apologetic look and shook her head. I will say that I appreciated that they didn't give us a hassle about it and refunded my credit card without me having to ask if they would (even though the stay was "free" we were responsible for about $60 in taxes.) Maybe after they complete their renovation, it will be better, but I would definitely not recommend it right now.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to Polynesian Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!