“Dark and dingy at the dells” 1 of 5 stars

Polynesian Resort Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   857 N. Frontage Rd., Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Ranked #64 of 78 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Chicago, Illinois
“Dark and dingy at the dells”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Omg. This place was scary. We booked a last minute trip to the dells. And found this hotel. It was the only one that wasn't booked and I could see why. I've seen 3 star ratings before and have been pleasantly surprised. But this place is gross. It was so dark everywhere in the halls and rooms and when I turned on the lights it revealed stained carpets. It smelled mildewed in the room. I didn't want to walk around barefoot. The box springs didn't have bed skirts revealing hair and dirt on them. Ugh. So nasty. I had my husband check for bed bugs. Thank goodness there weren't any but I still slept in my hoodie bc I didn't want to touch the pillow. One of the pools was cloudy. Yucko.

• Stayed August 2013

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Pewaukee, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Rewind a bit - Ten years ago, we went to Wisconsin Dells and stayed at the Polynesian and it was a bad experience. It was dirty and bad customer service. (I'll skip the details, but it was bad enough to be quite memorable for us, even 10 years later) Fast forward to the present. We needed a room for 1 night - just someplace to stay while we experienced some traditional Wisconsin Dells activities (the Ducks, etc) - not their water park. Rooms were pretty much sold out at The Dells so we ended up at Polynesian. The room, with tax, was $185 - so we expected it to be decent and we hoped it had changed in 10 years. First, it was so dirty. We had to call the front desk to say that our room had not been serviced, including an extremely dirty toilet with dark, black rings. I've never even seen a toilet this bad, even in a public bathroom in a gas station or beach. They said to come down to the front desk and they'd give us a new room. We were literally the furthest possible room from the front desk. When we got down there, the unpleasant woman at the front desk told us to go back to the room and they'd send up a cleaning crew. Two kids and all of our luggage, back to the furthest room in the building! They sent up 2 male youths. One replenished our towels, etc and informed us that our bed had indeed been services, it's just that the morning crew leaves "everything wrinkled," he explained. The other employee worked on our bathroom...and worked and worked. Twenty minutes later, on the toilet alone, it was finally clean! So...how long had it been since they cleaned it, and what other surfaces were ignored?? They did not inform us at the front desk that TV service was out-of-order in EVERY SINGLE ROOM. Wi-fi is ONLY available in the lobby - ever. What kind of modern hotel does that?? So, in a dirty room, no wi-fi, and no TV. What a vacation! (we had no intention of using the water park at this hotel) Employees were unprofessional, unorganized and disrespectful. (ESPECIALLY at the front desk, including a young woman who seemed to be the manager.) I guess since rooms get booked up at The Dells, that they think they don't have to do much - people will book there anyway. But that shouldn't decrease their work ethic or pride in their property. Incidentally, the next night, we went to the Kalahari for our first visit ever. WOW -what a difference!! It was like night and day compared to the Polynesian. We'll NEVER go back to the Polynesian - they do not deserve our business.

Room Tip: if you want a good room, don't book at this hotel!
Pewaukee, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

We stay in a hotel approximately 45 times a year. We have stayed in $99 a night hotels and $800 a night hotels. We paid $160 before taxes for 1 night. I can honestly state that my recent experience at this hotel was the worst experience which I have had in many years. We would have left and demanded a full refund but having checked the other hotels in the area, we could not find a vacancy.

Cleanliness and Maintenance:
* Beds looked to have been slept in and straightened, there were head imprints and wrinkles on the linens
* Toilet was filled with fecal waste that had sat so long it had principally dissolved and caked into a ring around the waterline
* Pubic hairs on the bathroom floor and behind the toilet seat
* Urine stains under the toilet seat
* Dirty footprints and stains on the floor of the bathtub
* Hair on the sink vanity
* Unrecognizable white goo on the floor outside the bathroom
* Handprints, skin oil, and other large thick smears on glass surfaces
* The TV was malfunctioning and could not be watched (rolling and distorted picture)
* Sofa sleeper stained and dirty
* Carpet generally dirty
* Towels had been replenished but no hand towels or washcloths

Services:
* When a cleaning crew was sent it turned out not to be a cleaning crew but instead two teenage boys who stated they did small maintenance projects. The cleaned the feces out of the toilet and wiped down the sink, provided hand towels, and then stated they could not do anything else for us. They stated that all of the beds in the hotel were wrinkled and looked slept in and did not change the sheets. They blamed incompetent cleaning staff.
* The staff was short, snippy, and rude when we inquired about the cleaning. They asked me to come down to the front desk where they would reassign us to a clean room. After walking the entire length of the complex and arriving at the desk, they then informed me they did not have another room. The desk clerk stated that at that moment, they had 8 families all demanding new rooms due to cleanliness or maintenance issues
* The staff was even more disagreeable on the phone when my wife inquired about a repair to the TV system
* Wifi was only available in the lobby

Exterior:
* The landscaping was overgrown and weedy in the rear of the hotel

Bolingbrook, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

We were looking for a 3 star hotel for a decent price in this area, and found this one to be the most economical that also included an indoor/outdoor waterpark. It is definitely dated for the rooms and the waterpark, but for the price the room was basically clean and had a nice view of the waterpark. If we had a short stay, I think we would stay here again. I liked that the room had a balcony.

Room Tip: We had a 3rd floor room facing the waterpark, and it was quiet plus it was fun watching above the wa...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Visited this resort in July 2013 with relative's while in Wisconsin, We have been here before and this time was a horrible experience. The pool and lazy river had mold on the sides and missing tile with freezing cold water. The hot tubs were cold and dirty smelled like urine and full of kids.No one working at the bar knew how to make any drinks or even what the drinks on the menu were. I think maybe this place is under new ownership. I will never stay here again !!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

Nice value for a quick trip for kids. Pools and water activities for smaller kids. Perfect for my kids but if you have older kids NO way. Rooms very out dated. We stayed in the "Luxury Suite" I was NOT impressed. Nicely located to the downtown area. Nice tourists area different restaurants and activities.

• Stayed July 2013
Little Chute, Wisconsin, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We stayed here 3 nights - we have 3 kids between the ages of 2 and 10. This place is a total dive! We go to the Dellls 2 or 3 times a year and this is the worst place ever! We were told that Chula Vista water park passes were included. Upon check-in (at 2:45 on a Thursday during peak summer) we were told no they weren't. I asked for a manager and they said they didn't have one that day. I found out 3 days later this same lady that told me this was the assistant manager! No apologies whatsoever here! The room was just old and icky. Coffeemaker had mold in. Fridge hardly was even cool. All 3 ice machines we tried to get ice from were broken. The beds were like cardboard - completely thin. The pull out couch bed had holes all over and thin. Both blankets were so scratchy we couldn't even sleep with them. The shower curtain had multiple holes in it as well as holes in the top where it hangs (surprised it didn't fall off). Carpet was stained. The hallway doors were missing doorknobs - they just left the hold in them - really made this place look slummy. The hallways had a foul odor to them. Try to get someone to speak understandable, communicatable English and you'll be very lucky! Twice the hotel told us they didn't have any towels. The TV was an old tube tv, that was completely fuzzy (see pic - though worse in person) and this was a suite that we had! WORST PART IS THIS: A total of 5 times we had no hot water. It would run for 10-20 seconds then ice cold! Was told maintenance was on their way up...40 minutes later nothing so we left to eat supper. Same thing on check out day. Maintenance came, couldn't figure it out went to check on the water heater and showed up about an hour later! We ended up taking a nice hot shower at Mt. Olympus (bought a day pass for everyone). Waterpark, if you can call it one, is a joke. It is disgusting! The lazy river I'm surprised is even up and running. Cracks, holes in the cement (above a bridge) all over. The hot tub was cloudy and had a nasty smell. The water was just ice cold with bugs floating in (it was 83 outside). The main kids water thing (The Water Factory) is only open from 4p-9p! Upon asking for a manager again, we were told on Saturday that there wasn't one but that the assistant manager would be in on Sunday morning. We spent 1 day at Mt Olympus and 1 day at Noah's Ark - both these places were spic-n-span clean compared to this dive! The list goes on, this place is a total dive. I requested a minimum of a one night fee deposited back to my account. The assistant manager eventually agreed so but gave me the lowest rate possible - even though the hot water issue mostly was only Sat and Sun. After more complaining she gave me a whopping $200 back. This hotel still was not worth $400 for 3 nights!

If I could rate this a 0, I would!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Polynesian Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!