“Filthy, Rude, and Dated” 1 of 5 stars

Polynesian Resort Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   857 N. Frontage Rd., Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Ranked #63 of 72 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Pewaukee, Wisconsin
“Filthy, Rude, and Dated”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

We stay in a hotel approximately 45 times a year. We have stayed in $99 a night hotels and $800 a night hotels. We paid $160 before taxes for 1 night. I can honestly state that my recent experience at this hotel was the worst experience which I have had in many years. We would have left and demanded a full refund but having checked the other hotels in the area, we could not find a vacancy.

Cleanliness and Maintenance:
* Beds looked to have been slept in and straightened, there were head imprints and wrinkles on the linens
* Toilet was filled with fecal waste that had sat so long it had principally dissolved and caked into a ring around the waterline
* Pubic hairs on the bathroom floor and behind the toilet seat
* Urine stains under the toilet seat
* Dirty footprints and stains on the floor of the bathtub
* Hair on the sink vanity
* Unrecognizable white goo on the floor outside the bathroom
* Handprints, skin oil, and other large thick smears on glass surfaces
* The TV was malfunctioning and could not be watched (rolling and distorted picture)
* Sofa sleeper stained and dirty
* Carpet generally dirty
* Towels had been replenished but no hand towels or washcloths

Services:
* When a cleaning crew was sent it turned out not to be a cleaning crew but instead two teenage boys who stated they did small maintenance projects. The cleaned the feces out of the toilet and wiped down the sink, provided hand towels, and then stated they could not do anything else for us. They stated that all of the beds in the hotel were wrinkled and looked slept in and did not change the sheets. They blamed incompetent cleaning staff.
* The staff was short, snippy, and rude when we inquired about the cleaning. They asked me to come down to the front desk where they would reassign us to a clean room. After walking the entire length of the complex and arriving at the desk, they then informed me they did not have another room. The desk clerk stated that at that moment, they had 8 families all demanding new rooms due to cleanliness or maintenance issues
* The staff was even more disagreeable on the phone when my wife inquired about a repair to the TV system
* Wifi was only available in the lobby

Exterior:
* The landscaping was overgrown and weedy in the rear of the hotel

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Bolingbrook, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

We were looking for a 3 star hotel for a decent price in this area, and found this one to be the most economical that also included an indoor/outdoor waterpark. It is definitely dated for the rooms and the waterpark, but for the price the room was basically clean and had a nice view of the waterpark. If we had a short stay, I think we would stay here again. I liked that the room had a balcony.

Room Tip: We had a 3rd floor room facing the waterpark, and it was quiet plus it was fun watching above the wa...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Visited this resort in July 2013 with relative's while in Wisconsin, We have been here before and this time was a horrible experience. The pool and lazy river had mold on the sides and missing tile with freezing cold water. The hot tubs were cold and dirty smelled like urine and full of kids.No one working at the bar knew how to make any drinks or even what the drinks on the menu were. I think maybe this place is under new ownership. I will never stay here again !!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

Nice value for a quick trip for kids. Pools and water activities for smaller kids. Perfect for my kids but if you have older kids NO way. Rooms very out dated. We stayed in the "Luxury Suite" I was NOT impressed. Nicely located to the downtown area. Nice tourists area different restaurants and activities.

• Stayed July 2013
Little Chute, Wisconsin, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We stayed here 3 nights - we have 3 kids between the ages of 2 and 10. This place is a total dive! We go to the Dellls 2 or 3 times a year and this is the worst place ever! We were told that Chula Vista water park passes were included. Upon check-in (at 2:45 on a Thursday during peak summer) we were told no they weren't. I asked for a manager and they said they didn't have one that day. I found out 3 days later this same lady that told me this was the assistant manager! No apologies whatsoever here! The room was just old and icky. Coffeemaker had mold in. Fridge hardly was even cool. All 3 ice machines we tried to get ice from were broken. The beds were like cardboard - completely thin. The pull out couch bed had holes all over and thin. Both blankets were so scratchy we couldn't even sleep with them. The shower curtain had multiple holes in it as well as holes in the top where it hangs (surprised it didn't fall off). Carpet was stained. The hallway doors were missing doorknobs - they just left the hold in them - really made this place look slummy. The hallways had a foul odor to them. Try to get someone to speak understandable, communicatable English and you'll be very lucky! Twice the hotel told us they didn't have any towels. The TV was an old tube tv, that was completely fuzzy (see pic - though worse in person) and this was a suite that we had! WORST PART IS THIS: A total of 5 times we had no hot water. It would run for 10-20 seconds then ice cold! Was told maintenance was on their way up...40 minutes later nothing so we left to eat supper. Same thing on check out day. Maintenance came, couldn't figure it out went to check on the water heater and showed up about an hour later! We ended up taking a nice hot shower at Mt. Olympus (bought a day pass for everyone). Waterpark, if you can call it one, is a joke. It is disgusting! The lazy river I'm surprised is even up and running. Cracks, holes in the cement (above a bridge) all over. The hot tub was cloudy and had a nasty smell. The water was just ice cold with bugs floating in (it was 83 outside). The main kids water thing (The Water Factory) is only open from 4p-9p! Upon asking for a manager again, we were told on Saturday that there wasn't one but that the assistant manager would be in on Sunday morning. We spent 1 day at Mt Olympus and 1 day at Noah's Ark - both these places were spic-n-span clean compared to this dive! The list goes on, this place is a total dive. I requested a minimum of a one night fee deposited back to my account. The assistant manager eventually agreed so but gave me the lowest rate possible - even though the hot water issue mostly was only Sat and Sun. After more complaining she gave me a whopping $200 back. This hotel still was not worth $400 for 3 nights!

If I could rate this a 0, I would!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Holland, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

The rooms were clean, the location is excellent, but it is not worth paying extra to go here for the waterpark (if thats even a valid name for it). It would be great for kids, but nothing too exciting.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Delavan, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

My husband and I along with another couple stayed at the Polynesian in August 2013. We had a one bedroom room which has a bedroom with a king bed and then a pull-out couch in the "living room" area. Upon check-in we were welcomed by the desk person and treated great! She had a great attitude and was very helpful and friendly. We asked questions/spoke to her a couple other times during our stay and she was always great. Upon entering our room it was hot! We cranked the ac and it was cooled down in no time. We pulled out the couch bed and discovered it was broken. We called the front desk and the maintenance guy came and replaced the whole couch! We kind of helped him maneuver the old one out and the new one in because it really isn't a one man job. We didn't mind helping. We then called down for sheets and more pillows. They arrived in a timely manner. Overall the room was clean but dated. Our room overlooked the outside pool and had a little balcony with two chairs and a small table. Really needs a remodel but wasn't bad. Let me say that the pull-out couch is not comfortable at all. The bar in the middle pushes up and you end up with your head lower than the rest of your body. The sheets don't fit well either. I would never stay on one again! Later that evening we went to the indoor pool. The hot tub was nice but the swimming pool was really cloudy. This was the only experience with the pools we had. The wifi is only available in the hotel lobby and doesn't work very well. I was having a hard time connecting and the lady told me to try restarting my computer. It didn't work so I gave up. Overall it was a decent place to stay for the price. Don't know if we would stay again, but maybe.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Polynesian Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!