“Good value” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #56 of 77 hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Muskego, Wisconsin
“Good value”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

For the price you pay, it is a decent place and we were satisfied with our stay. We stayed in a luxury suite which has a private room with a king size bed which was perfect to have our 3 year old sleep in for naps. Yes, the rooms are dated and need to be refurbished but we were still comfortable with the exception of the sofa bed. That definitely needs to be replaced as it was the most uncomfortable night of sleeping I've ever had. Loved that the rooms had a mini fridge and microwave. Liked how their were multiple indoor pool areas and while our daughter wasn't quite ready for the Waterworks indoor park, the other indoor pool area was perfect and she really enjoyed the baby/toddler pool. The weather was cool and rainy so we didn't get to enjoy the outdoor waterpark but from what we could see, there were a lot of cool slides and areas for younger kids and we would consider coming back in the future.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

342 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here because of the pools and water slides. So early in June, we knew that poor weather might limit us to the indoor pools but looked forward to using the outdoor hot tub shown on the website. We were right about the weather, but there wasn't an outdoor hot tub -- it's been repurposed as some kind of a massage spa and was closed up with a tarp. A couple areas of the water parks were barricaded off -- including the indoor area for children (within the Black Pearl) which we were told was not working right, and an outdoor slide that had equipment/parts sitting on the dry slide. Puddles of dirty standing water were in the first outdoor kiddie pool we passed, while some others indoors and out had visible dirt and apparent lack of maintenance (i.e.,peeling paint, areas of green or yellow substance that looked like it needed to be scrubbed off of pool edges or bottoms). One of the two hot tubs in the indoor water park featured cold water only--but no sign saying it was broken -- and that was the hot tub with the ADA-compatible chair lift. We didn't need to use the lift, but it would've been disappointing for someone who did! On the plus side, the water slides that did work were enjoyable, as was the lazy river and the indoor kiddie waterworks area (despite its vintage appearance).

We stayed in a 2-bedroom suite. It had a nice layout and kitchen, which I thought would help make up for what was lacking in the waterpark facilities...boy, was I WRONG! In the morning, a cockroach scuttled off the counter of the kitchenette. As if this wasn't disgusting enough, while packing to leave that morning, my daughter discovered another cockroach in the bottom of our granddaughter's pack and play crib! Eww! Horrifying! This was not a hotel crib, but one we brought with us -- and almost carried back home with a cockroach hitchhiker! Needless to say, we had to shake out all our clothes and luggage, and are following suggested guidelines to eradicate any "hitchhikers" we may have missed or eggs laid on our belongings (hopefully none!).

We informed the front desk manager, showed her a digital photo of the cockroach in the baby's crib, and gave her the dead cockroach in a ziplock bag. She was surprised, said they don't get cockroaches there, and called someone else over who told us the room had just been cleaned from an occupancy the previous night. The front desk manager said they would investigate, and that IF THE ROOM WASN'T being OCCUPIED that night (Beware!) they'd have someone go during the night to check for cockroaches! She said she'd talk with her GM about comping some of the room price, and they'd definitely be in touch with me.

At this point, however, I'm out the full price for the room, no one in management has yet even apologized, and I don't know for sure yet if any cockroaches or cockroach eggs hitchhiked home with us!

• Stayed June 2013
Fitchburg, Wisconsin, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

My kids and I stayed overnight at the Polynesian over Memorial Day weekend. Got a cheap rate, didn't require a 2 night stay and the water park seemed more manageable for one parent supervising two kids.

Several items turned me off:

Pools: water was cold and indoor areas did not seem to be heated. There were lifeguards around, but with the exception of the lazy river and slides, they were not very engaged. This water park is definitely geared to families with younger kids. My oldest is 9 and was kind of bored.

Rooms: in need of update and carpets seemed like they had not been attended to in years.

Outdoor music: it was a rainy cold weekend, yet the outdoor water areas were still staffed. one annoying part of this was that there was music playing in these areas until 10:00 at night- when no one was out there. Our room faced the outdoor water area and we found this to be disruptive.

Room service: one word. Terrible. We ordered a pizza from the in-house bar/restaurant. Staff told me it would be 15-20 minutes. 45 MINUTES LATER: no pizza. I called again to find out that the staff person had not asked for our room number, so they were waiting for me to call back. Very poor service.

Would not be surprised if this place shuts down in the next few years. It definitely cannot compete with the bigger resorts int he area.

Room Tip: Do not choose one that faces the outdoor water park area if you want to sleep (or want to put kids t...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Plainfield, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

My family stayed here and was pleased with this hotel. Yes, it's older, but still a good value. The water parks are for younger children. We could no use the outside water parks due to weather. The staff was very friendly. Overall, a very good experience.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Lake in the Hills, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 1 night this past weekend, the hotel and rooms are pretty out dated but clean for the most part. The best part of the hotel was the water park. My sons ages 6 and 19 months had a blast and thats what really matters. We enjoyed the indoor swim area but did not get a chance to go outside due to the cold weather. I've stayed many places in the Dells and this is neither the worst or the best. My kids would love to go back.

• Stayed May 2013
Lake Villa, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

We went to the hotel for the water park. The water park was decent for small kids, which was fine. Supposedly the outdoor pools were ready this past weekend, however they were filthy! The lifeguards said it was cold, which was understandable, but they weren't cleaned out... leaves floating in it, and the floor was totally dirty. Some of the staff just didn't have a professional look at all, and some really looked liked they needed to bathe.

The room was to be expected for the price (and clean), but the beds were not comfortable. The food was VERY expensive and terrible.

Overall, I definitely will not be coming back to this place, and I would not recommend it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Platteville, Wisconsin, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

We specifically picked this hotel because of the indoor waterpark for our young children.

The rooms are okay. For 99 dollars that's about what I expected. They are spacious, but worn. We picked this place for the indoor park for the little kids anyway, so I didn't care about the rooms.

We hiked down to the indoor park and the water was absolutely cold. There was not an ounce of heat in the water. My two children tried to stomach it, but they were shivering so bad. We ended up staying in the pool up by the lobby. So did everyone else. It was packed!
I said something to the front desk; she said she'd pass it along.

It was just as cold the next day.

Sine then I've written a letter and emailed it to two different email addresses for the hotel. I can't even get anyone to acknowledge my email.

spend the extra $100 and go somewhere else.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Polynesian Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!