We stayed here because of the pools and water slides. So early in June, we knew that poor weather might limit us to the indoor pools but looked forward to using the outdoor hot tub shown on the website. We were right about the weather, but there wasn't an outdoor hot tub -- it's been repurposed as some kind of a massage spa and was closed up with a tarp. A couple areas of the water parks were barricaded off -- including the indoor area for children (within the Black Pearl) which we were told was not working right, and an outdoor slide that had equipment/parts sitting on the dry slide. Puddles of dirty standing water were in the first outdoor kiddie pool we passed, while some others indoors and out had visible dirt and apparent lack of maintenance (i.e.,peeling paint, areas of green or yellow substance that looked like it needed to be scrubbed off of pool edges or bottoms). One of the two hot tubs in the indoor water park featured cold water only--but no sign saying it was broken -- and that was the hot tub with the ADA-compatible chair lift. We didn't need to use the lift, but it would've been disappointing for someone who did! On the plus side, the water slides that did work were enjoyable, as was the lazy river and the indoor kiddie waterworks area (despite its vintage appearance).
We stayed in a 2-bedroom suite. It had a nice layout and kitchen, which I thought would help make up for what was lacking in the waterpark facilities...boy, was I WRONG! In the morning, a cockroach scuttled off the counter of the kitchenette. As if this wasn't disgusting enough, while packing to leave that morning, my daughter discovered another cockroach in the bottom of our granddaughter's pack and play crib! Eww! Horrifying! This was not a hotel crib, but one we brought with us -- and almost carried back home with a cockroach hitchhiker! Needless to say, we had to shake out all our clothes and luggage, and are following suggested guidelines to eradicate any "hitchhikers" we may have missed or eggs laid on our belongings (hopefully none!).
We informed the front desk manager, showed her a digital photo of the cockroach in the baby's crib, and gave her the dead cockroach in a ziplock bag. She was surprised, said they don't get cockroaches there, and called someone else over who told us the room had just been cleaned from an occupancy the previous night. The front desk manager said they would investigate, and that IF THE ROOM WASN'T being OCCUPIED that night (Beware!) they'd have someone go during the night to check for cockroaches! She said she'd talk with her GM about comping some of the room price, and they'd definitely be in touch with me.
At this point, however, I'm out the full price for the room, no one in management has yet even apologized, and I don't know for sure yet if any cockroaches or cockroach eggs hitchhiked home with us!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Polynesian offers a variety of room styles to choose from - King rooms, Queen Rooms, Two Bedroom Suites, & Luxury Suites - one is sure to accommodate your family's stay in Wisconsin Dells. IMPORTANT INFORMATION: The resort is undergoing improvements during 2015 and select areas will be restricted due to these improvements. We make every effort to offer alternatives but will occasionally be unable to do so. Thank you for your understanding. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Expedia, Priceline, Hotwire, Hotels.com and Odigeo so you can book your Polynesian Resort Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Polynesian Hotel Wisconsin Dells
- Polynesian Resort Wisconsin Dells