“Dirty!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #64 of 78 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Appleton
“Dirty!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Totally disgusting! The rooms smell like smoke. There were no towels for our rooms or the pool area for our entire stay. There was pizza thrown against a window and never touched for our entire stay. Mattress was stained with vomit and there were no fitted sheets. Worst experience ever!

Room Tip: Do not stay here at all!

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

I was looking forward to my trip & was disappointed because I stayed for 3 nights & did not receiving housekeeping not even once! The beds & sofa bed were uncomfortable & the room was dingy. I will never stay in this hotel ever again. My son enjoyed the indoor lazy river & water park but that's about it. The pool is not good for adults because its only 3 ft deep.

Room Tip: Book near the pool if you do book here because we had to walk far to get to the indoor pool.
La Crosse, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

What a disaster. Took my three grandchildren for one of their birthdays. We had to check in three times as the rooms weren't ready. Finally we got a room at 5 pm and when we got to the room it wasn't cleaned yet.Called the front desk and was told they would send a manager. I had to call four times before a manager came and she said " are you going to stay in this room"? I said well they didn't give us another room ,so she said we will come and clean it and by that time it was 6pm. I asked if we could checkout later the next day and she said I don't know I will have to see if the room is booked.? I told her to forget it. Like the room was going to be cleaned anyway emmediatly at 11 am,which I think is a early checkout time. I felt so sorry for my grandchildren having to wait around for three hours when we checked. They gave us $12 credit for the inconvience and charged a resort fee of $4.50 and$1.50 for the safe that we didn't use.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

If you want a fun place to stay that is clean, comfortable, and worth the price...try Kalahari. The beds at the Polynesian were like sleeping on slabs of stone. The bathroom was tiny...and our faucet didn't work properly. Outdated rooms..outdated pools...overall a disappointment. We won't be back.

• Stayed March 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

On my way home from Wisconsin Dells we decided to find 1 more place to stay and enjoy our time... so we wind up coming back to the Polynesian hotel :) unfortunately the water park was closed but they still had a really nice pool and kiddie pool.... the hot tub was to die for it was great.... that's where I spent most of my time! The service was good the rooms were nice everything was pretty much what we expected but the rooms where outdated... it wasn't a problem I'll just use to being and classy more modern rooms and this 1 was taking me back to when I was a little girl...... I had a good time and so did my kids... they enjoyed it and even though the rooms were outdated it was a little bit more comfortable and reminded me as if I was staying at my grandma's house... very close in Pleasant :)

• Stayed February 2013
Saint Croix Falls, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

We stayed a Friday night in March, 2013.

This resort is exactly what I was expecting. I had read reviews that it was an older hotel. It was. I had read that it was dated, it was. BUT, the room was large and comfortable and very clean. The bathroom was small, but not a big deal. We had a room with 2 double beds and a pull out sofa...perfect for a family of five!
The water park was pretty good also. My boys are 8, 6, and 3.
PROS: Not crowded, the slides were big enough for my 8 yr old but not to big that my 6 yr old was scared. We found it spotlessly clean. Lazy River was enjoyable. Lots of lifeguards always walking around, looking.
CONS: The two sections are across the entire complex from each other. The only food options were at the one end, although possibly the sports bar opened at 4pm (was confused that things were not open during the day on weekends in MARCH...schools all over WI have different days off in March). For a water park that is dedicated to small children and families, it would have been nice to have more food options closer to the actual park. My biggest complaint: NO LOCKER ROOMS!!!! I realize that most people stay in the hotel, but the day of check out if you stay after you check out of your room (which I imagine most people do), the only bathrooms at the water park are a set of single stall/single shower m/f bathrooms. Very small. No where to actually change. We did it in shifts. At the pool/mini water park, you had to leave the warm area completely, go into the much cooler (normal temp) hotel lobby dripping wet and go to the bathroom. I never did find any showers at that end.

All in all, we enjoyed ourselves. The issues were more from the parents point, not the kids. It was much less expensive than the bigger places, very little kid friendly and we had a good time.

Palos Heights
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Our family stayed here for 2 nights in February. One thing that we really appreciated was that the water park was not crowded at all compared to the a park we stayed in the night before arriving. We could see our children playing in the water and enjoy time with other family members. Our rooms were clean, but clearly dated and showing some wear.

The water park is small, but there is a lot of variety in the space. The water temperature is what causes me to give the poor rating of the property. When we arrived on Friday the kid area was very cold and the hot tubs were the temp that the kids area should have been. On Saturday they turned on the heaters and the pools were a very comfortable temperature. On Sunday they again left the heaters off and the pool was cold and the hot tubs were at body temperature.

A signficant draw for us was that the hotel was half the price of the larger resorts. After staying at a larger place, I'll probably plan any future trips to the Dells to be midweek so I can stay at a larger place for half of the price.

Room Tip: They have some rooms that overlook the water park on the 2nd floor - those rooms would be very conve...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Polynesian Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!