“Worst hotel experience ever” 1 of 5 stars

You added Polynesian Resort Hotel to your Saves list
Polynesian Resort Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   857 N. Frontage Rd., Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Ranked #65 of 80 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
“Worst hotel experience ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012 via mobile

This hotel stay was all problems from the moment of checkin where they had booked us in two different rooms for each night. This means we arrived at 1 am to stay for our first night and had to check out at 11 am the next morning. We were told we could put our bags in our car for the 5 hours until we could check back in to the new room at 4 pm. It was a miscommunication with our booking partner on their part because I was on hold while my agent verified both nights would be the same room, which was the reason we came in late the night before so we could get up and get going rather then wait till four to check in. No help or sympathy from anyone on staff. So when we finally got to our room the carpets were still wet from a recent shampoo, at 1 am... It smelled like Lysol and mold and I was afraid to touch anything because when I put my hand on the headboard it fell off the wall onto the bed. Really safe. At this point we decide there is no reason to stay here on night 2 after how we've been treated and the condition of the room. The air conditioner also wasn't working. This was in 100 degree weather. So we call our booking partner and cancel asking to verify no charges would be added and the front desk called to verify there would be no charges. We had to book another hotel. Hilton garden inn which we've stayed often and I highly recommend. A week later I get my credit card statement and find out they charged us for both nights. It was post dated a few nights after our reservation which is not something they should do. Why was my credit card still in their system?? I received a refund but had to accept a charge of 15$. After all the time I spent on the phone fixing this it was useless. I paid 15$ and a resort fee for the first night when we clearly checked in at 1 am and weren't able to use the resort. Its part of their package I understand but at this point I feel like theyve taken enough of my money without reason. I would have rather stayed at a cheap motel because service and quality were on par with what u would expect at a motel. I will never recommend this hotel to anyone there are several nice hotels in that area and this is not one of them. It also would be nice to get a full refund on the night we didn't stay simply due to all the inconvieniences we faced.

• Stayed July 2012

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

The Polynesian has some good things going for it, and yet has obviously suffered because of the economy and possibly mismanagement. On the up side, this is a small waterpark resort, and your room is close to the pool. You can even use your room bathroom instead of the public restroom located in the pool area. The pool area has great areas for young children, a lazy river and a couple of waterslides that are pretty tame. It wasn't crowded, and there is a tiki bar with kind of expensive drinks. We were able to bring in our own cups and snacks into the pool area. They were very relaxed about this. They just didn't want any alcohol brought in. Who says you can't drink beer out of a coffee cup? Our room was clean and the air conditioning was ice cold. We had a fridge so we could bring our own food and drinks. The noise from the hallway was pretty minimal even being by the door and ice machine. Check in was a breeze, and staff were all very friendly. They quickly provided us with extra linens when requested.

On the downside, there are some maintenance issues and cleanliness issues outside. The cave hot tub outside is closed and is apparently available for rent during a massage, according to the sign. They serve food, but don't expect anything fancy--it's convenient at most. Also, if you don't like classic rock, you're out of luck. They played it in the pool area until 9pm each night. I like it, but could get very sick of it quickly.

This is a nice place to go for a chill little vacation with your kids if you can overlook its' flaws. It's definitely convenient and relaxed, which is just my style. The kids loved it, and that's really all that matters.

Room Tip: Ground level poolside room is the most convenient.
South Beloit, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

We were in town for a basketball tournament and didn't want to spend a ton of money at one of the bigger waterpark resorts because we didn't know how much time we would have to enjoy it. We thought the Polynesian was a good option.......price was great and still had the waterpark features. BIG MISTAKE!!! This hotel is a dump! Our room was extremely damp and smelled like mold and mildew. The bathroom had a ton of mold on the ceiling. The carpet was disgusting. The beds were extremely uncomfortable and the springs soundend like they were going to break when you sat on the beds. We had a 1st floor room and the window had no lock on it.......Big Safety Concern! The hotel staff was very unfriendly and not very helpful. The pool areas both in and out were dirty.....the water was somewhat cloudy and there were leaves all over the bottom. Overall, this place is extremely run down and in need of desperate repairs and upgrades. I wish I would have listened to all the negative reviews because I definately would have changed my reservation to a different hotel.

Milwaukee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

We stayed at here as part of a Bluegreen promotion. I really enjoyed the time spent here. The room was clean and big enough to put a double air mattress in the room without being crowded. There were 2 queens but we had 2 adult children with us so needed the extra bed. There was a refrigerator, microwave, and coffee maker. As a woman I liked the extra sink and mirror outside of the bathroom so that I could put makeup on without waiting or having steam from the last shower. There was a sink in the bathroom also. The beds were comfortable and we always bring our own pillows if we’re driving so couldn’t comment on that. There was never a noise problem although it was crowded that weekend.
The only drawback is that we were not in the main building where there is an elevator but were in an annex building on the second floor without an elevator. This wouldn’t have been a problem if my husband had not just has a leg problem that made climbing stairs very painful. Lack of this knowledge was not the fault of the hotel because if we had made reservations with them directly they said they would have told us. Because the arrangement was through Bluegreen we never got the information. We survived!
What was especially nice about this hotel was the water area. We had tickets with the promotion to Mt Olympus which was OK but very crowded. On our check out day we spent the afternoon at the hotel water area. We are in our 60s so the lazy river and sitting around the pool are our style. None of these were overrun with people. I and my adult kids did the water slides which were fun but never had a long wait to use them. I think for a group who either have young kids or are all adults this water park was great and relaxing. There are some cute little slides for the young kids and I saw a lifeguard in that area. We ordered a pizza from the little food area there and got a special which made it reasonable and good. I would recommend this hotel and would stay there again.

Room Tip: Make sure if you can't climb stairs to get a room in the main building. No elevator in the anne...
Madison
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

We stayed for 2 nights recently and have a mixed review. Pros: Reservations staff was friendly and courteous; outdoor pools were nice; option to have room service or food brought to your outdoor table is convenient; our room was clean and very spacious. Cons: When we passed staff in the hall, no one made eye contact or greeted us; the outdoor tiki bartender didn't know what Bosco Sticks were and couldn't order them for me even though there was advertising for them all over the bar; the indoor tiki bartender didn't know how to make a mai tai.

Room Tip: The poolside rooms are convenient, but the outdoor music doesn't turn off until after 9:00 or so...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

The hotel wasn't what i thought when I got there but when explored and once I saw what they had to offer i realized I was gonna have a good time! I thought the price was reasonable. The sevice was great and the hotel was very clean.

REGINA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

Stayed here las week. Would stongly recommend against it. Hotel is run down badly and is badly in need of an overhaul. Room were not clean and smelled of urine. Service was very poor. We cut our stay short.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Polynesian Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!