“Not an unpleasant stay, but definitely smaller than I expected” 4 of 5 stars

Atlantis Waterpark Hotel & Suites
1570 Wisconsin Dells Pkwy., Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Ranked #40 of 78 hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Chicago suburbs
“Not an unpleasant stay, but definitely smaller than I expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2009

I knew when I made the reservation that the 'waterpark' was small, however, I have to admit it was smaller than I anticipated. I have two young children (2 and 6) who are simply too young for the bigger waterpark hotels (not to mention the cost of the bigger ones). We paid $79 for one night and $99 another, which I thought was reasonable. I would NOT pay more than $100 for a room at this hotel, especially during the summer due to the smallness of the 'waterpark', don't think it's worth it honestly.

The waterpark itself had 2 slides and various spouts with a smaller slide off to the side for the younger kids. Next to the 'waterpark' was a normal pool with basketball hoops. And there was also a hot tub. There is a small arcade off the room as well. You can't bring any bottles in the pool area, but there is a bar where you can buy food and drinks. The pool/waterpark gets VERY crowded at night (8-10 pm). Try to ask for a room away from the entrance to the pool on the third floor which is where we ended up. The fast access was nice, but not at 10 pm at night when everyone is leaving and yelling, running and screaming. My husband wasn't bothered by the noise (I was in the room with my 2 year old trying to get her to sleep), so you may not as well, but just wanted to mention it.

My 6 year old also developed a rash from the water (too much chlorine I suspect). Luckily there's a nearby Walgreens so we could get Benadryl. The last day the rash was so bad we didn't let my son go in the water on the day we checked out. Not sure if this is common or not.

Ultimately, however, my 6 year old had a blast at the Atlantis (my 2 year old is still a little iffy when it comes to pools), so I would recommend to kids 8 and younger. The rooms were clean, service was decent, location was good. Even so, if we can afford to go in the summer, we're staying at the Grand Marquis (like their indoor waterpark a little better).

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family

300 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
schaumburg, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2009

First, the room is big!!! We have booked a suite and there is enough beds for 8 people! The walk to the waterpark is short, good when you have young children in swimming gears. However, the pool and waterpark are small, not much larger than that of our park district's. My three year old enjoyed it. My friends kids who are two and four also found that it is fun! But I would not recommend for anyone who is older than eight. That could change though. As of May 1, they will include passes to the large waterpark across the street. The cleaness is standard for a regular 2 star hotel. I did found a lock of hair in the double whirlpool tub which I decided not to use after the discovery. We paid $110 (including tax) for the suite and I think that it is worth it. I would not pay 300-400 they are asking for the summer though. You could get something much bette with those rate. Oh, there is not much an adult can do in the hotel. We were just watching our daughter and sitting around the pool.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2009

The biggest complaint I had with this hotel is that the rooms are not insolated for sound. We got very little sleep. The first night we were on the 3rd floor and could hear every sound from the room above us, not to mention the people in the hallway, the ice maker, etc. The staff was friendly and upgraded our room - which ended up across from the pool. Louder yet. The hotel was probably quite the spot 40 years ago. It is outdated. The rooms were a bit dingy, old linolium in the bathroom, 70s style artwork and bedding, an old TV that's picture tube was going out - all shows were purple.... It lacked some of the modern basics (such as a coffee maker in the room). It isn't a waterpark - it has more of a water playground for younger children. Our older kids still had a fun time in the poolafter the intial disappointment,

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Oakdale, MN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2009

We stayed at The Atlantis off seaon, in February. We stayed in one of the Fantasy Suites. We traveled with another family so there was a total of 9 of us (5 kids and 4 adults) and there was plenty of room for all of us. The big screen tv, cd player and DVD players in the room were very nice. The room definetly needed some updating and could have used a thorough cleaning but was nice overall. The large hot tub in the room easliy fit all 5 of the kids and 2 adults. The staff was very nice.

The pool area was disappointing as we were expecting a waterpark and we got a pool area. They had 3 slides that were ok for very young children (probably age 4 and under). The water in that area is no more then 8 inches deep. The other pool is 5 ft deep and has a basketball hoop on each end. We stayed during the week so the pool area was very quiet. The pool bar was not open though and that was disappointing.

This would be a nice spot for people with very small children and the nice staff made up for teh updating that needed to be done.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Clearwater, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2009

My fiance and I stayed at the Atlantis Hotel for my birthday. We stayed Thursday through Sunday; 3 nights. The hotel has two pools; one called a "waterpark" and one called the "lobby pool." The "lobby pool" wasn't more than 4ft deep and never had anyone in it. The "waterpark," though bigger and in itself 2 pools and a hot tub, was hardly a waterpark! One small pool (2-3ft deep) with a couple of slides was great for kids! The larger pool, no more than 5ft deep, had two basketball hoops; one on either side. The hot tub, which had a sign that read "No children under the age of 6" was FILLED with small children, both with their parents and some completely unsupervised. Friday afternoon wasn't terrible as there weren't many people in the pool area, but come Saturday it was chaos! Children everywhere, running rampant and their parents? Nowhere to be found most of the time. The pool bar was good; we were able to charge food and drinks to our room, but they're only open on the weekends! Our room was nice; we got a whirlpool suite. Everything was clean/neat and the housekeeper was very nice ... hanging a bag of towels in a bag on our door, as we kept the "Do not disturb" sign out our entire stay. The bathroom smelled funny for the duration of our stay, but the hotel itself is older, and it shows. The sheets were not very soft and caused us to itch! Parking was TERRIBLE on Friday and Saturday night! The snow plow job was very bad and snow piles took up many spots, as did an RV camper that took at least 6 spots and numerous cars in the middle of 2 spots! Wi-fi was only available in the lobby (where there were only 2 chairs to sit!) and in certain suites. Wi-fi throughout the hotel would have made visiting the area better, and for the price, should be included. All the rinky-dink motels in the area offer wi-fi! Thursday night was nice and quiet, as no one was staying at the hotel but Friday and Saturday nights? They need to better insulate! Kids screaming and playing in the whirlpool next door and elephants walking around above us was horrible.

Though we stayed in the Dells during the off-season, never did we think EVERYTHING would be closed! The shopping area was closed, as were most restaurants and little diners. Even the places with huge signs that read "Open All Year Round" were closed! Thursday evening, attempting to find a place to celebrate my birthday ... we felt like we were driving in a ghost town! We were the only car on the road, and ended up eating at Applebees! More opened come the weekend, and we enjoyed Marley's which is within walking distance from the hotel (but don't order the shrimp for dinner unless you plan on ordering two entrees!).

• Liked — whirlpool and star/mirror ceiling in the "mermaid whirlpool suites"
  • Disliked — Wi-fi not in every room, terrible parking, noisy weekends, not a "waterpark"
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
brew_cru
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2008

We stayed here for an extended weekend with our two year old and with my brother and sister-in-law and their one year old. When we got there, there was an old pair of underwear on the bathroom door. When we tried to call the front desk, the room phone didn't work.

The rooms were also not cleaned very well overall. There were many stains from who-knows-what as well as crumbs food and other stuff on the floors. They obviously had not been vacuumed well, if at all, in a while. We requested no smoking rooms, but the rooms had a strong smoky smell.

The pool area was nice, which is the only reason I didn't give it a one. It had a couple of medium sized slides and one small slide for toddlers. We did have fun in the pool area. We didn't go to the game room or poolside bar/grill.

We definitely won't be back unless this place gets a major overhaul.

• Liked — The pool area
  • Disliked — The rooms, particularly that they were filthy
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Joliet, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2008

I took my grandsons to this hotel and they enjoyed the pool (it is stated for children under 11). The room was accomodating and found nothing disastrous as some of the reviews I've read.
You get what you pay for. Marley's and Moose Jaw restaurants were the bomb. My family enjoyed our long weekend at Atlantis.

• Liked — The kiddie waterpark
  • Disliked — small rooms
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Atlantis Waterpark Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!