“Everyone had a great time!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Shores Camp Resort

Holiday Shores Camp Resort
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Wisconsin Dells
Holiday Shores Camp Resort
Bookmark
You added Holiday Shores Camp Resort to your Saves list
River Road, Wisconsin Dells, WI   |
GREENWOOD
“Everyone had a great time!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

I took my daughter and my 4 grandchildren, ages 5 - 12, for a week. We stayed in a Park Model, which is basically a mobile home. At the end of the week, the 10 year old said "this place is pretty comfortable for 6 people!" And it was. Location - out of the city but close to everything. Rental unit had everything we needed and wanted, including a deck, charcoal grill, fire pit, and air conditioning(!). Activities - playgrounds, swimming pool, bounce houses, inflatables in the water at the beach, fire engine rides, outdoor movies, wifi room, marina and much, much more. The rental unit came with 4 passes to Chula Vista water park. The on-site coin operated laundry was clean, bright and spacious. Quiet hours were really quiet. It does seem that the owners may be having some difficulty keeping up with repairs as there were minor problems and I'm not sure how thoroughly the units are cleaned between guests as we found many "lost" items from previous guests. However, overall, it was a good value for the price. If we ever go back to the Dells, we will probably stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Couples
Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

This was our 3rd annual July 4th weekend visit in a row. In the past, we enjoyed our time there, particularly activities on the Wisconsin River. This year we noticed and felt a let down of service and hospitality that was so in evidence the previous years. Even entering and exiting the campground via a rear gate was a problem due to lack of key cards for the gate, and a shrugging 'oh well' type attitude with the fact that guests at the back of the campground now had to drive all the way around to come and go. The Club 21 was missing the family member that previously ran the club and provided the spirit that made it fun. There were fireworks permitted every day and night we were there even though it clearly states No Fireworks Permitted on the registration paperwork. The Marina was still as great as ever, though anyone can come and rent, so there's no benefit of staying at the campground. We felt Holiday Shores lacked the spirit and fun that that attracted us in the past, and left 2 days early after having fully paid for those days. I felt like I fell out of love with the campground. I'll return for the great times on the river via the Marina, but will find another place to stay next time around. Sad, but it feels like the owners have lost the spark that made Holiday Shores unique.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Very large campground with many activities. The pool was clean and well kept. The water inflatables at the river swimming spot were nice as well. All areas get very crowded and when this happens the atmosphere deteriorates. Some campers were loud all day and late into the night, but I like it more quiet. I do not like to hear music from other spots but there really are no barriers between the campsites. They sell freshly made donuts and cinnamon rolls in the morning which are good. When it is crowded the showers and bathrooms are not as clean, but they are OK. No bathrooms by the sites with sewers, I understand the logic, but since we don't use our bathroom in out camper for that- it would be nice to have bathrooms by the game room/bar & large rig sites.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

I was a little afraid to stay here based on a couple negative reviews and am so glad I decided to give it a try. I have nothing but good things to say about the people that work at the campground....everyone was so nice and helpful. We camped in the no hookup tent area by the beach. The beach and inflatables were fun even for the adults. We rented a boat a couple times which was easy and quite affordable. They had activities for the kids each day we were there which was nice. The showers were clean and hot!!! We didn't have any but the doughnuts smelt awesome! Overall it was a great place to stay with plenty to do for the whole family!!!!

Minnetonka, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

Not too bad, but we would have enjoyed a little more parking space and a map to get around the grounds. Lots of others seemed a bit lost as well. Swimming was nice save for the giant jumpy thing in the middle of the swim area. Whole place was swarming with children...and I happen to like kids. I just need a little room to breathe.

Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We recently stayed at Holiday Shores campground/resort for five days and didn't want to leave. We have a 28' travel trailer and the sites are spacious. We camped at the sites near the water and the view was great. I have two young children (6 & 3) and they loved all the activities that the resort had to offer. The pool is nice and warm and was not crowded. The general store is centrally located and well stocked for all the things you might forget. The homemade donuts are delicious as they make them right in front of you. The bathroom and showers were nice and clean as well.

Our favorite part is the waterpark pass (included w/ camp site fee) you get for Chula Vista which is indoor/outdoor and only about 1 mile away. I knew they offered this ahead of time and figured it would be a rinky dink waterpark and I was wrong. The waterpark is organized and ran well. We would go to the park for a few hours and then head back to the camper for lunch and then return in the afternoon. The waterpark is super busy on the weekend so try and go during the week if possible. Again, there was a lot of things for my young kids to do. We also visited Mt. Olympus which was nice, but for the money Chula Vista is just as good. The Wisconsin Dells is a lot of family fun, but we found ourselves wanting to hang around the resort and take advantage of the many activities. If you are planning on camping in the Dells I strongly recommend Holiday Shores campground.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

I should have known customer service at this place would be nonexistent...when I called to make the reservation I told the woman how much I was looking forward to our stay and her response was, "We will fill up no matter what so you're lucky." Wow. When I made the reservation I explained that we had a 36-ft travel trailer and had never been there before. I saw that there was a "back gate" advertised online but I didn't think to ask about it. When we arrived, we went in through the main gate and we were given directions to get to our site. Getting to the site with our rig was a nightmare to say the least. The turns were sharp, we had to go up and down hills while turning...awful. When we finally arrived at the site we saw that it was right near the back gate! Now why wouldn't the "knowledgable" person taking my reservation that day tell me to come in the back gate because it would be tough to maneuver our size trailer through their crazy park? This was the first negative in my book.

The man camping next to us told us he busted his rear break light while trying to get his 5th wheel through the campground. Again- this could have been avoided with a bit of customer service from the start! Same thing happened to another neighbor. They came in with a Class A and were told at the office to take their car in tow off the trailer because they wouldn't make it. They took the car off at the main office and drove their rig all the way back. An office worker followed them in a golf cart and gave them attitude when they requested a different spot due to the size of the rig. She then didn't even offer to give them a ride back to the main office to pick up their car they were forced to unhitch! I gave them a ride back to their car. They were not happy and had only been there for 15 minutes!

Then we asked how we could get a card so we could get in and out the back gate but we were told they didn't have enough of them. They said to call when we wanted them to send someone via golf cart to open it. There is only one problem with this--there is ZERO cell phone service! I don't mind that fact because I go camping to "unplug" a bit but this was not a solution to the problem, (nor was this the fault of Holiday Shores). Now every time we want to go to town during our week-long stay we first have to spend 10 minutes exiting the large and poorly laid-out park.

You pretty much need a golf cart to go anywhere in this campground because it is so large. When we went to rent a cart we were told that we had to return it every night by 8pm and pick it up every day by 10am or we would lose the reservation. This was less than convenient, to say the least!

This place also advertises free Wi-Fi. Well, they have WiFi, but you have to be at the main office to use it! As someone with small children and someone who has to work via mobile, this was extremely frustrating. Don't advertise it if you don't truly have it! On the same note, the "beach" really doesn't exist, either as other reviews have mentioned.

After a few days of our stay we were even calling around to other campgrounds because we were so tired of driving through the campground every time we wanted to go somewhere, and our site was so far from anything in the park for the kids to do. Remember their golf cart rentals are so strict we couldn't even do that!

Overall, customer service is really lacking at this place. They were not accommodating at all. If you want to stay at a campground and not leave and do the other things at the Dells, I imagine this place would be good, but it really didn't meet our needs. Staff was rude and each person you spoke to seemed to give you a different story on anything you asked about. We will be back to the Dells, but probably not back to this place.

• Stayed June 2013

Been to Holiday Shores Camp Resort? Share your experiences!