“Clean and well kept!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 80 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Joliet, Illinois
“Clean and well kept!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

I stayed there on June 14-17, 2013 and thoroughly enjoyed my visit! The rooms were clean and well kept! The grounds outside were very beautiful with the hanging flower baskets! We had an easy check in and out and we were close to downtown (but not too close) and various restaurants! I would highly recommend you stay here! I made reservations online originally and had to call in to change the date and they were very accommodating! I received an email for both reservations...no trouble at all with anything!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
AmbersHideaway, Owner at Ambers Hideaway, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Thank you Susan for your review about your stay with us this past June. At check in we may go through a lot with you but we want to ensure that you have all the information you need. My front desk staff tries to respond to every reservation if its through on line booking or the phone in a prompt and courteous manner. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and were able to enjoy our grounds. We look forward to seeing you in the future. Have a safe rest of the year.
Tanya

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Appleton, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Stayed at the motel for almost exactly 7.5 hours on a Saturday night because we were in town for the Honky Tonk half marathon. Making the reservation online was a breeze, and received the confirmation email right away. Per their email, I advised them that we wouldn't arrive on Sat till 11:00 PMish. They emailed that they would leave the keys in their mailbox since the office closed at 8:00 PM, which they did (very convenient!!). So far, so good!

The room was simple but huge! The hubbo and I stayed in a 2 queen bed room. The wi-fi was free, the bed was very comfy, it was quiet and the place looked newly painted and clean! Each room had a parking spot and a bench outside. Unfortunately, we didn't stay long enough to enjoy the free Chula Vista passes or continental breakfast.

Since we had to check out before the office opened, we left the keys in the same mailbox with a note, and also gave them a call when they opened to make sure they received the keys, and they did.

PRO'S: location is just down from one of the main drags of the Dells. Price is VERY reasonable. Beds are comfy. Very nice and accommodating management. Chula Vista passes included. Free shuttle to Ho Chunk casino. Very kitchy/touristy and reminds me of the good motels while going on childhood road trips.

CON'S: the shower needs to have more water pressure. Ours was a wee bit weak. TV was still a tube TV (if you're the Dells and you watch TV in your room, you're in the wrong place). The air conditioning controls were a bit far reaching (Good AC, but the unit is high up...my 6'3" hubby had to stand on the stool to get to the controls....however, a stool WAS provided which was very much appreciated!:)

Despite the cons (which are very very little), however, I would definitely stay here again! It was a great place to stay and a GREAT bang for the buck!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
AmbersHideaway, Front Office Manager at Ambers Hideaway, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Hello and thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review (despite the short amount of time you had to stay with us)!!!!! We are glad you received your keys easy enough when you guys arrived. I did receive your keys while opening the office Sunday morning, which was greatly appreciated since housekeeping was able to get started right away when they got here. We appreciate your feedback regarding the shower pressure. This is the first I have heard of any issues in that room and have already had maintenance change the shower head and it's much better now! All of the TV's in the rooms are a flat screen mounted on a swivel arm on the wall, so I'm not sure about the confusion with it being a tube TV? In the wing where you guys stayed on the 1st floor, half of the building is under ground, so all of the AC and heat units had to be placed up high otherwise it would suck pure dirt into the room. We realized that this would be impossible to reach without a stool, so made sure to provide one in each room. Again, we truly appreciate your kind words and feedback and sure hope you come visit us again in the future when you can stay a little longer:)

Heather
Wheaton, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

Like a few other people I made my reservations for this place well in advance online, and receive no Email confirmation. So I called and spoke to someone in the front desk and found out the they had me confirmed only for 3 people and there were four of us in the party. No more room options were available so I decided to take the room they have given us.
We were there for the weekend of Columbus Day and arrived late. We had made arrangements and thought management was supposed to call us earlier to make sure everything was ready for our late arrival, they never called, we did. On the morning after our arrival I meet the owner. A nice lady who explained all the amenities and quiet time after 10:00 PM. This I thought was nice since what you want diferent from the big hotels is less noise. It was a great stay until 4:30 am on the morning of Sunday when two people were talking very loud and we could hear them in our room. Apparently drinking and being loud. I tried contacting the owner since the desk is closed after 8:00 PM but al I got when I called the hotel number was a recording to leave a message. So I did, the other alternative was confronting the people being loud which can lead to more serious problems on occasion. But after 45 minutes of not being able to sleep I went out and found out that these two people were drinking on outside of their room. I asked them politely to quiet down and they in invited me to drink with them. They quiet down for about 5 minutes and then went on again.
The biggest problem is that even though this is a Motel like set up the sound carries very far even though the people were talking outside of their rooms.

When I was checking out the person at the desk acknowledge my message. Innocently asked me if I have called the owner on her cell phone, a number which I was never given, or dial zero after the recording in their answering machine so that I could be transferred to the owner? There was no such instruction when I called and left a message. They really should have clear instructions on the booklet they provide for each room in case anything like this ever happened or in the office door after hours instructions, something that gives you a chance to let the owners know that they have a problem before you start calling the police and becoming a target of somebody's irate behavior.
So your options are all bad if you stay in a place like this.
1 Call the police and you wake up the town and nobody gets to sleep.
2 Face a confrontation with the noise makers and you could end up in a fight and waking all the people staying at the motel anyway.
3 Try to call the people responsible for your peaceful sleep and they do not answer.

You can't win and I feel sorry for the owners of this place, because once in a while you will attract these less than desirable characters and issue discounts or refunds. I just did not like the fact that there was no sympathy or the will to try to make amends because this place had the policy but no options or numbers to contact them after hours to ensure their quiet time after 10:00 PM.
Aside from that horrible experience the rooms are spacious and clean, the TV is small and the lighting inside the room needs updating so that it does not look so dreary.
We will not be coming back here because I think that We don't need to take a chance on drunks staying here and causing the problem that we had. I hope for those of you who visit this place that you will not have the experience we had and that you enjoy your time in Wisconsin Dells.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
AmbersHideaway, Front Office Manager at Ambers Hideaway, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Hello and thank you for your review. First of all to address your issues regarding not receiving an email confirmation and having the incorrect amount of people registered to your room.....you personally made your reservation online as you stated. You entered your own email address and the amount of guests staying. I apologize if you entered the wrong information. Also, you are correct...for 4 people, a double queen room would have been your only choice as far as room options go.

When you called us to change the amount of people in your room, you were told that if you still weren't here by approx 7pm on the date of arrival, you would receive a phone call with instructions on how to obtain your keys after the office was closed. We do note our conversations every time someone calls with questions such as yourself, in detail, so we are all on the same page if you were to call again and speak to someone else. I apologize that you thought someone would be calling you back that same day. We will make sure we are more clear on that in the future. We choose not to go into detail on where keys are prior to the day of arrival to avoid confusion or if plans change on your end. When you called the day you were set to arrive, I explained that if there are any problems finding your keys, room, etc...please call the number posted on the door because the office closes and the phones get transferred to voice mail. Great. You were fine with that. So the next morning as you stated, the owner checked you in. When explaining "quiet time", we always add that if there are any problems to please dial "0" from your room. This is also listed in your check in packet, the newsletter sitting on the table directly inside the door, the plaque on the dresser, and in the guest directory in the nightstand. I'm not sure how many more places we could post this. Not to mention our conversation the day prior when I mentioned that there is an after-hours phone number posted on the door which states to call that cell phone number or if you are a guest, you can also dial "0" from your room. I have yet to stay anywhere that I don't get an answer from someone when I dial "0".

Sunday morning when I arrived at 8am to open the office, I did receive your voice mail from 5:26am when transferring over the phones. When you came down to check out and you gave me your room number, I did tell you immediately that I had received your message and asked if you were able to touch base with the owner by dialing "0". (I had not talked to her yet to find out from her myself.) I also apologized SEVERAL times for the rude and disrespectful guests. You felt the need to tell me over and over that you wanted to call the police, which would have been just fine if that's what you wanted to do. They would not have come with sirens blaring "waking the town". You then said you would never stay here again as you were walking out of the office. I can only apologize so much and you didn't seem to want to hear any of it. All summer long, we very rarely had to ask anyone to quiet down as most guests are fairly respectful of others, but sometimes people just don't get it. This is when we rely on all of our signage in each room and the information we give at check in to direct people on how to contact us. Your response to me was it was early and you were tired. Unfortunately, we can only explain so much. Sometimes people just don't listen or language barriers create lapses in communication. I will apologize once again on behalf of the rude and loud neighbors during your stay. We have a very clean motel and offer a lot of amenities and coupons, etc with each stay. We always bend over backwards to accommodate everyone in any way that we can. I am sorry that because of your neighbors you will not stay with us again to see all that we have to offer.

Best wishes,
Heather
Waukesha
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Had not been to Dells in a couple years so we saw great reviews about Ambers Hideway we wanted to give it a try. Wow what a lovely clean spacious motel. We were very happy with our stay and we will be back! See you again!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
AmbersHideaway, Owner at Ambers Hideaway, responded to this review, October 5, 2013
Hi Karen and thank you very much for your review. I am happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were happy with the cleanliness of our rooms and spacious accommodations. We look very forward to your return visit with us. Have your self a safe and wonderful rest of the year.
Ottawa, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

If you can remember what staying in a motel back in the 60's this is the place for you. A wonderful place that is home-owned with owners on premises.
One thing that we liked was you had lighting were you can actually see your mate across the room. Rooms are large as well as the bathroom

You are right on Broadway within 3 blocks of the strip and also a fine family restaurant next door.
Plenty of space to have kids run around plus swimming pool.

Nine years ago this was empty and falling down, now a beautiful place to stay.
Book early if you plan on staying in 2014.

We are not big breakfast eaters so the doughnut's and bread was enough for us.
Loved the morning conversations with Amber over coffee.

Try it you'll like it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
AmbersHideaway, Owner at Ambers Hideaway, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
We appreciate all the reviews and comments we receive from our guest, and I would like to thank you for leaving us a review about your stay with us this past week. My husband and I want every guest to feel welcome and right at home. We run a business and give people that extra personal attention the way we would want to be treated as if we were on vacation. We are glad that you made the trip from Kansas and we hope that if you ever head this way again we can have the pleasure of having you and your family stay again. Hope that you had a safe trip back home.
Duluth, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

The Motel is so clean. It was just renovated and the rooms are so big. The owners are very nice and were very accommodating to our special needs!!!! The owners live right on site, so they know what is going on. The motel is on the end of the strip, so shopping is very close. Highly recommend this motel!!!!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you Jamie for your review about your stay with us last weekend. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and I am happy we were able to accommodate you on such short notice. It was a pleasure visiting with you that evening by the camp fire Eddie made. We hope that whenever you are in the area again you will stop on by. Have a safe and wonderful rest of the year. Sincerely, Tanya
willowbrook
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

We went to the Wa-Za-Wa weekend and was very happy with our stay at Ambers Hideaway (this is the third time this year we stayed here) We were very pleased with our hotel.(Tom was so very happy to have his special room #105) The rooms were spacious and well maintained, the ground are beautiful & with the Gazebo to have your morning coffee in, the location is within walking distance to downtown shops and restaurants, the staff is friendly and efficient the owners, Tanyia & Eddie are always around busy overlooking things but never to busy to stop and have a few words with you. On Friday night they fired up the "Fire Pit" and sat with the guests to enjoy the evening. A perfect ending after a busy day at the festive.
If you are planning a trip to the Dells, I highly recommend staying at Amber HIdeway (We have booked our rooms for next year). You won't be disappointed. Ambers is the Best for anyone coming to the Dells. You won't find a better Hotel!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
AmbersHideaway, Owner at Ambers Hideaway, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Hi Louise and thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback about your past weekend with us. I am glad you had an enjoyable and wonderful stay with us. Yes the morning is wonderful sitting in the gazebo with your coffee, however I never get to do that but I have been known to dead head some of my flowers by the gazebo in the early morning before people begin to stir. The camp fir pit is a nice relaxing end to a busy day and even though Eddie and I are still working we do get to socialize with our guests. I am glad you enjoyed the fire. We look forward to seeing you again in the future, have a safe and enjoyable rest of your year.
Sincerely, Tanya

Been to Ambers Hideaway? Share your experiences!