“Grand time in the old town!” 4 of 5 stars

Ambers Hideaway
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1113 Broadway, Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Ranked #5 of 80 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Belgrade, Montana, Usa
“Grand time in the old town!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

We chose this hotel based on trip advisor reviews since we'd never been to Wisconsin Dells before. Very reasonable rates. Ours was a 2 day stay on an 11 day trip. I'm writing this review after we're back home. This was the most spacious room on our whole trip. We enjoyed the 10:00pm quiet hours, took advantage of the Saturday night bonfire, wish we'd had more time to try out the pool. The gazebo was inviting. The owners take pride in their property. The added bonus of Chula Vista Water Park tickets sealed the deal. The staff was always accomodating & helpful. We knew going in that this had a continental breakfast & that it was mostly breads, donuts, bagels & fruit, so it wasn't a surprise that is exactly what it was. We would go back here in a heartbeat!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
AmbersHideaway, Owner at Ambers Hideaway, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Thank you very much for your review about your stay with us while on your 11 day vacation. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our spacious rooms and that you were able to enjoy the camp fire we provide on the weekends. I also enjoy the 10pm quiet time after a long day. We always tell people if they want to be out late take advantage of our gazebo and fire pit because they are further away from the motel, which means quiet by motel. Glad you took advantage of our mini continental in the morning and it was able to get you started. We look forward to having you stay in the future. Have a fun and safe rest of your summer.
Sincerely, Tanya

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Rockford IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

I always consult Trip Advisor prior to travelling and I found a GEM. Booking online was a breeze. Husband and wife operations can be a delight or a disaster, this one was a spot on delight! Very informative check-in by Ed's wife. The moment we opened the door I could tell these rooms were well-maintained. Very fresh-smelling without the "chemical cover-up". The room was VERY spacious.

I admire the pride they had and the way the entire place literally sparkled. So many fresh flowers adorned the area. I'm thankful the blinds closed perfectly as the lighting at night was amazingly bright. The firepit area was very enjoyable. We went out there the first night we were there and sat with about 15 people or so. The people there were just as delighted as we were and those with children should be commended on how well-behaved their kids were!!!

I have been an Illinois State Licensed Plumber since the 1980's and maintained 16 swimming pools in our school district. I generally do NOT swim in pools at hotels due to improper (and sometimes downright unsanitary) maintenance. I had NO ISSUE climbing into the pool there. I saw how Ed took care of the pool chemistry and he should be training the chain hotel maintenance staff. Every chaise lounge was wiped clean every morning, they sparkled. He even took the time to take me in the basement and show me how he re-plumbed the entire complex. The laundry for the sheets and towels is state of the art. Plenty of hot water and pressure in the tub/shower! Bed, covers, and pillows were a dream.

The other staff that worked there were very friendly and courteous, telling me that the owners treat them fairly. This can really make or break a stay in my opinion They show a GREAT deal of pride in both their business as well as the community there as a whole.

I would only suggest that if you are planning to relax poolside or by the firepit that you bring a larger plastic glass or mug for any drinks.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
AmbersHideaway, Owner at Ambers Hideaway, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
I would like to personally thank you for taking the time to leave us such a great review. Eddie and I try our hardest to make sure EVERYTHING goes as smooth as possible from the start. Check in is a very important step and we bombard you with a lot of information but we do this so you can have the best possible experience here in the Dells and at Ambers Hideaway. We air out our rooms after every guest and use safe cleaners while cleaning. We maintain the property and keep a very safe environment for all our guest and kids. We are a small husband & wife owned business and truly believe in giving back to the community. The city has been very appreciative to use because we took a very eye sore property that sat vacant for 6 years and turned it around into what we have today. Since you are an easy drive away we look forward to your return visit with us in the near future.
Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

We chose this hotel based on other trip advisor reviews (first time to Dells) and they are spot on. The rooms are spacious and totally renovated, so like new. The mattresses are so soft and comfy! Everything about this property was immaculate, and the owners take a lot of pride in it. With our 3 kids, the walk downtown was a bit far, but it was still an easy car ride anywhere we wanted to go. Loved this place and would definitely go back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
AmbersHideaway, Owner at Ambers Hideaway, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
Thanks Jackie for you comment on Trip Advisor about your recent stay with us. I am glad to hear that you had a wonderful stay and I bet you had a awesome nights rest because the beds were so comfy. My husband and I do take great pride in our property and we are so happy when we hear that our guest really do appreciate all that we do. We look forward to your return visit with us in the future. Have a wonderful and safe rest of the year.
Saint Paul, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Based on Trip Advisor ratings and reasonable rates, we chose Ambers Hideaway for a three-day stay, as a base to meet up with our family who stayed at a nearby campground. We were pleased to find the motel at the far end of "the strip" that comprises downtown Wisconsin Dells, away from the crowds and noise. It was an EASY walk even for us 60+ year olds to get to shops and restaurants at the other end of Broadway.

What struck us first was the pleasant, inviting grounds with a gazebo out front and a sparkling pool adjacent to it. Our room was centered at ground level in the back of the complex. Upon entering, we found to room to be dark and dank with a musty odor. However, after we opened windows, the smell dissipated and the rest of our stay was enjoyable.

Echoing other reviews, the room was spacious, sparsely decorated, but functional. The in-room fridge came in handy to to store our lunch, drinks and some dinner items. We spent one afternoon with our grandkids at the pool, which was immaculately clean and the perfect size and depth for the little ones. It was fun to relax at night around the fire pit where we got to visit with other guests and the owners.

This is a family-oriented motel. If you're looking for a loud, party atmosphere, this isn't the place for you. We'll be back same time next year for a repeat visit.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
AmbersHideaway, Owner at Ambers Hideaway, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Thank you for your review about your stay with us last weekend. I am glad that you enjoyed our grounds, pool and the camp fire pit. When we have check outs we always open the patio door and bathroom window to get a cross breeze to air the room out. We then close the blinds to keep the hot sun out and keep from damaging the fabrics with the uv rays. The ac units are left on but at a little higher setting because not everyone likes it cold. We are sorry if there was a musty odor, if brought to our attention we would of been happy to do something about it. We like to keep our rooms simply decorated, more neutral and we offer the conveniences of a fridge, micro, hair dryer, iron/board, coffee maker and alarm clock in every room.
We do work very hard in making sure every person and every family has the best stay possible. We look very forward to your return visit with us around the same time next summer. Enjoy and have a safe season.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for 4nights,and to begin with that is just way to long for this place. We enjoyed the room I do not have really anything negative to say other than the staff is very unfriendly! I would never return because of that! We also had fruit flies in our room which was kind of gross. It's also very noisy in the morning at around 7-8am. The only really great thing I have to say is the bed is comfortable. I do not know why this place is rated so high on here, it's not that great.

• Stayed August 2013
AmbersHideaway, Front Office Manager at Ambers Hideaway, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Hello and thank you for your review. Are you sure you stayed at Ambers Hideaway and not someplace else? We have a very small staff since we are such a small property and have never once had an issue with unfriendly staff. If, in fact, you did stay here and you felt that someone was unfriendly, we certainly do apologize. Every staff member tries to greet every person we see or pass outside on a daily basis. We are very fortunate to have such a well maintained and very clean property and very rarely does someone leave here unhappy. As far as fruit flies in your room, they would only be there if there were food to attract them to. Were they there when you checked in? I would hope if they were, you would have made us aware of them right away so we could move you to a different room. Perhaps they were attracted to something in the garbage can? Banana or orange peel from breakfast? If we were given your permission and able to provide you with stay over service during a four night stay, we make the beds, exchange towels and remove your garbage for you. This will help with unwanted pests in the room. We also provide weekly pest control as a precautionary measure to keep any unwanted pests away. Again, we have never been told of any issues with fruit flies in any rooms, so we were unaware of any problems if there were any. Had we found any upon inspecting the room prior to arrival, we certainly would never have checked anyone into that room! I am also quite confused with you having noise issues between 7 and 8 in the morning. I open the office almost every day, just before 7 and can honestly say that between those hours is when it is the most quiet and peaceful here. (Certainly my favorite time of the day!) Most people don't start moving around for the day until about 8am. Our staff hasn't even started for the day then, so maybe there were some disrespectful neighbors? Again, this is a very small property and overall, it is not noisy at all. This review has quite surprised me, as these are all things that just doesn't sound like our property. I wish had there been any issues, they would have been addressed at the time of your stay. Upon check out, we ask every person how there stay was. This is our opportunity to address any issues with a room, etc. Nothing was brought to our attention during your stay or at check out. Hopefully throughout your stay you were able to at least check out Chula Vista water park with your free passes, or enjoy the sundeck or gazebo, maybe use the charcoal grills or sit by the campfire. Maybe even take a dip in the heated outdoor pool or indoor hot tub. Or even just sit and enjoy the view of our well maintained property filled with beautiful flowers from outside of your room. We are sorry you were unhappy with your stay and wish you the best.

Regards,
Heather
LaRue, TX, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

For the 2nd year in a row we were very pleased with our stay at Amber's Hideaway! The rooms were nice and clean, the staff are very friendly and all of the beautiful flowers and well maintained grounds lets us know again that the owners take extra special care of their place and their guests! Thank y'all again!

• Stayed August 2013
AmbersHideaway, Owner at Ambers Hideaway, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Thanks Keith for your review about your stay with us. We are so happy that you came back again this year and that you appreciated the cleanliness of your rooms and the beauty of the grounds. I don't know if you noticed but this year we have about 50+ more hanging baskets around the motel and the property. We greatly enjoy hearing your words of appreciation. We look forward to seeing you the next season for your get away. Sincerely, Tanya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed at Ambers for five nights. Our group included my husband and myself (grandparents), and our 3 grandsons ages 16/10/10. I called ahead of time to see if we could bring a blow-up mattress for one of the kids and they graciously allowed us to do this. Our room, as others have mentioned, was very spacious. Even with the 2 queen beds and blow-up mattress, we had plenty of room. Also, we very much appreciated the table and chairs, microwave, small refrigerator, and the shelf attached to the wall that allowed us to have a lot more room for putting our personal items. Our room was very clean and the bathroom was spotless! And although we don't spend a lot of time watching tv on vacation, we did appreciate having a nice flat screen tv in the room. Our only suggestion for improvement in the room would be to add a hook on the bathroom door for those of us who travel with those plastic travel bags that hold all of your bathroom supplies.

The beds were very comfortable - among the most comfortable hotel beds we have ever slept on. And I appreciate that they still use comforters and blankets! We have been in hotel rooms recently where they do not put comforters on the beds - just sheets, and I am just not warm enough with out a comforter.

Our room was right next door to the laundry room and we made good use of that to dry our wet swimsuits every day! Very convenient.

Ambers is in walking distance of the downtown Dells area. Even with two 10 year olds in tow, it only took us about 15 minutes to walk to downtown.

The pool was sparkling clean and our grandsons enjoyed using it just about every day that we were there. The grounds are beautiful, and every morning we would see staff outside cleaning the grounds and skimming the pool. At night, the motel looks so pretty with the gazebo all lit up and the lights in front of each room lit. The staff and owners obviously take great pride in the property.

Now, my only complaint: I know that smoking is an a tough issue for property owners, and I don't mean to be overly critical as I know this is a touchy subject and you can't please the smokers and non-smokers. The hotel rooms are non-smoking (all of them as far as I know). My husband and I are non-smokers so that was great in our opinion. I knew in advance that seeing ashtrays full of cigarette butts would annoy me, and it did. It is great to have a non-smoking room, but it kind of defeats the purpose when guests walk out of their room into a cloud of smoke on the balcony. Also our stairwell led right down to the office area, and quite often right outside of the office was pretty smoky. My husband and I didn't swim in the pool but we did sit around the pool to watch the grandsons swim. I was kind of surprised to see a sign in the pool area saying no glass (of course!) or food in pool area...but there were ashtrays in the pool area. Do you really need to allow people to smoke in the pool area where kids are swimming?

Like I say, I know you can't please everyone, but maybe a suggestion would be to section off one area of the hotel and only allow smoking in that area (and not in the gazebo and pool area). Or better yet, make the entire property non-smoking, but that's probably wishful thinking on my part!!

Other than the smoking issue, I would give Ambers a perfect rating. All of the staff members we spoke to were very polite and helpful, and we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
AmbersHideaway, Front Office Manager at Ambers Hideaway, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Hello and thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review! It was a pleasure having you and your grandsons stay with us! We are very happy to hear you enjoyed the over-sized room and all of the amenities included in your room. Each bathroom door does have a double hook on the back for hanging towels, etc from. The beds are memory foam which most people do love. They are very comfortable!
We are also glad you were able to utilize our on-site laundry facility. It does make life a little easier not having soaking wet suits for your whole entire stay!
We were happy to see your grandsons use our heated outdoor pool. There are some days all of us have to resist climbing in ourselves! It always looks so inviting!!!
Wisconsin state law does not allow smoking in any hotel rooms. Our entire property has smoke-free rooms. We do place ashtrays outside of each room to prevent cigarette butts from being thrown into our parking lot or sidewalks, etc. Per your request, we did place you in a room near the stairwell so you didn't have to walk past guests who were smokers. Hopefully that helped a little bit. The ashtrays are cleaned a minimum of once per day to ensure there are no overflowing cigarette butts. It smells bad and doesn't look nice either. Smoking is one issue where regardless, someone isn't going to be happy. If you are a smoker and have to walk 5 blocks to a designated area to smoke, you aren't going to be happy. If you aren't a smoker but have someone being disrespectful and blowing smoke your way, you aren't going to be happy. We just try to keep a happy medium for everybody. Thankfully, most of our guests are very considerate of others and usually try to respect those who are non smokers.
We want to thank you again for choosing to stay with us. It was a pleasure having you and we do hope to see you again in the future!

Heather

Been to Ambers Hideaway? Share your experiences!