“Great Deal” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 18 Wisconsin Dells B&B and Inns
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Great Deal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Location and price are this motel's great selling points. It's walking distance to downtown and at 70 bucks a night we were able to stay 3 nights in peak season for less than the cost of 2 any where else. The room was small, but we didn't spend much time in there anyway. The owners were nice and obviously take pride in their property. I read the other reviews before we booked, but I thought I'd give them a chance anyway. I'm glad I did.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

44 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Polish first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

I'll never ever again going to be staying there again I call 4 months ahead to reserve a room with a king size bed for my girl my daughter and me and when I got there they gave me the key for the room after I pay for the reminder fee. I walk out the office and when to check the room and it was a room with 2 queen beds so I when back and I ask the owner and he said that that's what I ask for and I told him no is not I show him my note with the confirmation number and the name and his like yeah that's me is a misunderstood I told him is not I order a room with a king size bed not one with 2 queen beds and he gave me attitude after I told him about the room. Then he told me that he was giving me the bigger room with the microwave and the fridge and I told him I'm paying 5 dollars more for that cuz I order it and he still gave me attitude no more first and last tim. People you will regret staying there if you ever doi give it a 0 in the rates for that motel.

• Stayed July 2013
Colonial_Motel, Owner at Colonial Motel, responded to this review, March 22, 2014
Colonial Motel Response:

There was a misunderstanding during the time the reservation was made at Colonial Motel. The room does not accommodate for 3 people staying in a King Bed. We tried mend the issue and upgrade the customer to a more expensive room with 2 beds, microwave and refrigerator without any additional costs. We showed him the room and he accepted and stayed for the whole weekend and did not say anything to the management upon checkout that there was a problem.

-Owner, Colonial Motel.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at this motel many times before and always had a pleasant stay. I decided to book another stay this summer. I called 4 days before my reservation to cancel due to a family emergency. I did not reach anyone, so I left a message telling them I wished to cancel. I then called two days before my reservation to confirm the cancellation. He then denied ever receiving the message and charged the whole night of the room even though I can not attend due to a family emergency. He refused to understand my side of the story and was very rude on the phone. I would have settled by paying half, but he refused to work with me even though it was a family emergency. He wouldn't even let me reschedule. He was not willing to negotiate and resolve the problem. He only cared about getting his money. I will never stay there again due to this disappointing experience and will share my story with others.

Colonial Motel Response:

Customer made a reservation and did not cancel according to our policy (72 Hours before arrival) and as according to the Colonial Motel website. Customer was then charged for one night as per our policy. Policy is listed on the Colonial Motel website (www.colonialmoteldells.com) and also verbally repeated to customers during the time the reservation is made.

-Colonial Motel Management
wausau, Wisconsin, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

We advise anyone/everyone never to stay here. We thought we would stay here for 1 night on our family trip to the dells. Upon check in the man/manager seemed friendly, told him we had 2 adults & 1 child in our group, recieved the keys to a tiny very old room. Upon entering the room we see there is NO FRIDGE!! So back to the office I go to request a fridge and the guy says its gona cost me $5.00! Seriously? O.k, whatever we need it so I gave $5.00. The 3 of us leave to downtown and come back with a friend of ours and his daughter we have not seen in sometime and thought we could visit and relax back at the motel. Well as soon as he sees our company he starts yelling at our friends to 'GET OFF THE PROPERTY!' If they dont leave you all must leave. Really? I tell manager I will gladly leave just give me my $ back. At first he and his wife would not budge on refunding my $, so I told our friend to sit across the street on the church property and he could not say a damn word about that. So to make it short he must have figured out we wasnt gona take his b.s. and the best way to get rid of us was to refund our $. But he would not give us the $5.00 back for the fridge! And we had to wait 10 minutes to watch his damn wife fold and count the towels!!-then said we stole one!!! It was a nightmare. So we went next door to Fitzgearlds-Wonderful place!!! So never stay at the Colonial Motel, the owners are VERY RUDE. So glad I paid cash & he didnt have my credit card #!!!!!

Colonial Motel Response:

Customer made a reservation asking for the most low cost economic room we had available (1 Queen Bed). Customer had in their party 2 Adults and 1 child. The original reservation was made just for 2 adults with no children. We did not charge the customer for the child which would have been an additional person. This room as stated is a small economy room for 2 people and we told the customer that they could get a larger room with 2 beds and everything included, however, she did not want the bigger room and explained the economy room was ok. The customer also asked for a refrigerator for this room and the charge is $5.00 (Please note that non-economy larger rooms include refrigerators and microwaves in the price of the room).

In addition the customer invited her friends to the Colonial Motel that were not staying at the motel and were using the room and the pool. Our amenities are for Colonial Motel guests only according to our insurance policy. The property can only be used by people staying at the motel.

We called the customer to the office and explained our policy to her and she did not accept it. We allowed her to cancel her reservation with a minor $5.00 cancellation fee for paperwork and she left to another motel.

-Colonial Motel Management
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

We decided to head to the Dells for a last minute getaway with another family. We were very lucky to find this place. It was exactly what we were looking for. It was meticulously clean. Not a speck of litter on the whole property. The pool was perfect for us, we had 4 kids between our two families (ages 6, 8, 10 & 12). We could have stayed & played in the pool all day & the kids would have been completely happy. The owners were always around and knew exactly what was going on with everyone. They also had coupons for attractions. The location was perfect. Not fancy at all, but just what we needed for our long weekend! We will definitely return & recommend to everyone we know!

Neenah, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

We've stayed there the last several years during the month of June, when the radio stations have the discount books for attractions.
Discovered this motel as one of the best values, because the kids can easily walk downtown for shopping or snacks, without mom and dad driving them around.
Everything is super clean; it was amusing to watch the kids that work there out sweeping the curb by the street, just to keep busy.
Treat the owner with respect and it is returned double.
Not a place for parties... but clean and convenient.

Lake City, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

We spent 5 nights here from 6-10-13 to 6-15-13. The room was very clean as were the grounds. The owners and staff were always busy cleaning and maintaining the outside areas. The pool was perfect for the kids and grown ups the same. It is 9ft deep on one end and 3ft on the other, has a nice slide fun for the kids. We used it every day. I walked around and looked at the other little motels in the neighborhood and there pools were not nearly as nice, only little rectangular ones with 5ft deep ends. we paid 38 a night and 45 for one fri night for a double twin room. One odd thing was the tv it only got a few channels. HBO, cartoon net, espn, and a handful of local channels. I don't know what kind of package comes like this but this wasn't a concern for us we were there to be on vacation not to watch tv.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Colonial Motel? Share your experiences!