“Terrible Owners!!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 17 Wisconsin Dells B&B and Inns
wausau, Wisconsin, United States
“Terrible Owners!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

We advise anyone/everyone never to stay here. We thought we would stay here for 1 night on our family trip to the dells. Upon check in the man/manager seemed friendly, told him we had 2 adults & 1 child in our group, recieved the keys to a tiny very old room. Upon entering the room we see there is NO FRIDGE!! So back to the office I go to request a fridge and the guy says its gona cost me $5.00! Seriously? O.k, whatever we need it so I gave $5.00. The 3 of us leave to downtown and come back with a friend of ours and his daughter we have not seen in sometime and thought we could visit and relax back at the motel. Well as soon as he sees our company he starts yelling at our friends to 'GET OFF THE PROPERTY!' If they dont leave you all must leave. Really? I tell manager I will gladly leave just give me my $ back. At first he and his wife would not budge on refunding my $, so I told our friend to sit across the street on the church property and he could not say a damn word about that. So to make it short he must have figured out we wasnt gona take his b.s. and the best way to get rid of us was to refund our $. But he would not give us the $5.00 back for the fridge! And we had to wait 10 minutes to watch his damn wife fold and count the towels!!-then said we stole one!!! It was a nightmare. So we went next door to Fitzgearlds-Wonderful place!!! So never stay at the Colonial Motel, the owners are VERY RUDE. So glad I paid cash & he didnt have my credit card #!!!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Colonial_Motel, Owner at Colonial Motel, responded to this review, March 22, 2014
Colonial Motel Response:

Customer made a reservation asking for the most low cost economic room we had available (1 Queen Bed). Customer had in their party 2 Adults and 1 child. The original reservation was made just for 2 adults with no children. We did not charge the customer for the child which would have been an additional person. This room as stated is a small economy room for 2 people and we told the customer that they could get a larger room with 2 beds and everything included, however, she did not want the bigger room and explained the economy room was ok. The customer also asked for a refrigerator for this room and the charge is $5.00 (Please note that non-economy larger rooms include refrigerators and microwaves in the price of the room).

In addition the customer invited her friends to the Colonial Motel that were not staying at the motel and were using the room and the pool. Our amenities are for Colonial Motel guests only according to our insurance policy. The property can only be used by people staying at the motel.

We called the customer to the office and explained our policy to her and she did not accept it. We allowed her to cancel her reservation with a minor $5.00 cancellation fee for paperwork and she left to another motel.

-Colonial Motel Management

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

We decided to head to the Dells for a last minute getaway with another family. We were very lucky to find this place. It was exactly what we were looking for. It was meticulously clean. Not a speck of litter on the whole property. The pool was perfect for us, we had 4 kids between our two families (ages 6, 8, 10 & 12). We could have stayed & played in the pool all day & the kids would have been completely happy. The owners were always around and knew exactly what was going on with everyone. They also had coupons for attractions. The location was perfect. Not fancy at all, but just what we needed for our long weekend! We will definitely return & recommend to everyone we know!

• Stayed July 2013
Neenah, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

We've stayed there the last several years during the month of June, when the radio stations have the discount books for attractions.
Discovered this motel as one of the best values, because the kids can easily walk downtown for shopping or snacks, without mom and dad driving them around.
Everything is super clean; it was amusing to watch the kids that work there out sweeping the curb by the street, just to keep busy.
Treat the owner with respect and it is returned double.
Not a place for parties... but clean and convenient.

Lake City, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

We spent 5 nights here from 6-10-13 to 6-15-13. The room was very clean as were the grounds. The owners and staff were always busy cleaning and maintaining the outside areas. The pool was perfect for the kids and grown ups the same. It is 9ft deep on one end and 3ft on the other, has a nice slide fun for the kids. We used it every day. I walked around and looked at the other little motels in the neighborhood and there pools were not nearly as nice, only little rectangular ones with 5ft deep ends. we paid 38 a night and 45 for one fri night for a double twin room. One odd thing was the tv it only got a few channels. HBO, cartoon net, espn, and a handful of local channels. I don't know what kind of package comes like this but this wasn't a concern for us we were there to be on vacation not to watch tv.

Crivitz, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

My husband and I stayed one night in #26 (1 queen, poolside). Immaculate room, bed was great, yes room was tiny but cute, it was perfect for just my husband and I. Microwave in room also. We paid $35 for our room! The night before we spent double at the Shamrock and the room wasn't as nice! Ted was extremely nice, we checked in about 10 pm and he was very friendly. Grounds of motel are spotless! As we were packing the car a lady came over and was talking to Ted about how pleased she had been with the motel when her mother had stayed there. You should definitely stay at the Colonial!!! Only con to the stay was that there isn't WI-FI.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Rockford,IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Just came home from a 3 night stay at the Colonial Motel in the Dells. We usually go to the Dells about twice a year. And almost always stay at the large hotels (such as the Wilderness and Kalahari) but wanted something a little cheaper and wanted to go for the downtown experience. I excepted a decent place to just rest our heads at the end of the day. I looked on trip advisor as I always do and wasn't sure if I would be happy. Boy was I wrong. We didn't want to leave. The owners were very nice. The place is older, smaller... but cleaner than any of the large hotels. The grounds are extremely well taken care of. No cigarette butts or trash sitting around. The rooms are well taken care of. Nothing fancy, just a nice clean place. Only complaint was we could've really used a small refridgerator. The pool was a little chilly when the sun set, but no complaining from us. We didn't even expect to use it much since we had many other plans. But we used it each day for at least an hour or two. Also the pool was very clean... didn't even see a leaf in it. We asked for no housekeeping and brought our dirty towels in to the office...the owner treated me very well and went out of his way to make sure we got all new things. I was a little iffy when I called because it didn't sound like it was very modern as far as everything on computers (like the modern hotels) and when we arrived I was correct, but Ted (the owner) was on top of things, very well organized and he went through everything we me, taking his time to go over all the booklets he gave me. We will be back again for SURE!!! Also I couldn't tell from photos how far shopping was from the hotel. If anyone is interested, all of the big shopping starts on the next block. Everything was right there, but with enough privacy.

Downers Grove, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Colonial Motel was GREAT. Price was low, pool was clean and large enough. Rooms were
clean and comfortable. Easy walk to all of the many stores and restaurants. Ted was a great
host with a sense of humor.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends