“Wow.. what a surprise!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Colonial Motel
606 Broadway, Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Ranked #10 of 18 Wisconsin Dells B&B and Inns
Rockford,IL
“Wow.. what a surprise!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Just came home from a 3 night stay at the Colonial Motel in the Dells. We usually go to the Dells about twice a year. And almost always stay at the large hotels (such as the Wilderness and Kalahari) but wanted something a little cheaper and wanted to go for the downtown experience. I excepted a decent place to just rest our heads at the end of the day. I looked on trip advisor as I always do and wasn't sure if I would be happy. Boy was I wrong. We didn't want to leave. The owners were very nice. The place is older, smaller... but cleaner than any of the large hotels. The grounds are extremely well taken care of. No cigarette butts or trash sitting around. The rooms are well taken care of. Nothing fancy, just a nice clean place. Only complaint was we could've really used a small refridgerator. The pool was a little chilly when the sun set, but no complaining from us. We didn't even expect to use it much since we had many other plans. But we used it each day for at least an hour or two. Also the pool was very clean... didn't even see a leaf in it. We asked for no housekeeping and brought our dirty towels in to the office...the owner treated me very well and went out of his way to make sure we got all new things. I was a little iffy when I called because it didn't sound like it was very modern as far as everything on computers (like the modern hotels) and when we arrived I was correct, but Ted (the owner) was on top of things, very well organized and he went through everything we me, taking his time to go over all the booklets he gave me. We will be back again for SURE!!! Also I couldn't tell from photos how far shopping was from the hotel. If anyone is interested, all of the big shopping starts on the next block. Everything was right there, but with enough privacy.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Polish first
Downers Grove, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Colonial Motel was GREAT. Price was low, pool was clean and large enough. Rooms were
clean and comfortable. Easy walk to all of the many stores and restaurants. Ted was a great
host with a sense of humor.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Waukesha, Wisconsin, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Very economical, excellent location. Saving money on the room allowed us to spend our money on all the attractions that the dells has to offer. We booked the smallest least priced room and found it a bit small. However, we were not in the room very much and did not have any problems with the room. The owner takes great pride in his property and it shows. The pool was nice. I could see how some might be put off by the size of the room but we enjoyed the throwback feel and experience. The one thing that would have made the stay better would have been a bigger bath towel, just sayin'.

Room Tip: Maybe pay for the bigger rooms.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

We love this motel and the owners are extremely hospitable. The rooms are extremely clean as well as the motel grounds. The owners were kind enough to let us store our bikes in their personal storage unit. Love this place! Absolutely best deal in the Dells and in a wonderful location.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
South Venice, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We have stayed in the Dells for more than 20 years now. Stayed at many places, but stayed at The Colonial,with Ted and Ursula for the last 15 years. They are wonderful!!! Yes the Hotel is small, but always super clean, and super respectful "for" their guests. So if you want to party all night, let your kids run wild, irritate all the other guests, have the management not care, go elsewhere. The is one of the biggest reasons I stay here. They are always cleaning, and grooming the place. They work very hard to keep what they have. So speaking from a guest stand point!! Awesome job!!!

Room Tip: All rooms are very accessible to attractions. Bottom level facing pool are most convenient.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Chicago, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

If you keep in mind that our room was only $40 a night, it was par for what we paid for. It's a cheap motel - what can you say? If you want to save money and stay at the cheapest place in the Dells, then stay here and deal with it.

Cons:
Bed was extremely hard and covered in a plastic sheet that crinkled loudly. The pillow was literally as hard as a rock. Don't expect to get much sleep here.
The shower turned ice cold each time I used it, but just for a minute or two.
Don't forget your shampoo and conditioner, and a hair dryer. I forgot my dryer so I couldn't wash my hair. Nothing is supplied except soap.
It was freezing in the room at first, but once the heater got going, it was very warm.

Pros:
The owner was actually very nice and friendly to us. I've found that if you treat others like you'd like to be treated, they usually respond the same way. He let us stay another half hour after check out with no problems at all.
Our room was clean.
It was cheap, so we could save our money to do things in town instead of spending it on a room we were only sleeping in.

Honestly, I'm used to more cushy accommodations so I will pay more to stay at a nicer place next time, but I'm thinking that this might be fine for those in their teens/early 20s as a place to crash.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Colonial_Motel, Owner at Colonial Motel, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
Thank you for your response and for staying at the Colonial Motel. The reason for the mattresses having the plastic sheet is per health department regulations. The room that you stayed in was and economy room, please note that we also have a variety of different rooms to choose from as well (singles, doubles and family suites).

Colonial Motel
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

I just got back from my 1 night stay in a Queen room for $35, yep, $35. When we checked in, we also received some discounts for local attractions that ended up saving us $10 and a free ticket to Mt Olympus water park. The room was tiny but I didn't expect much for $35. The pool was nice and the location was essentially in the downtown. As others have said, the owner isn't the friendliest but we didn't have any issues with him. We were quiet and obeyed the rules.

Overall, I'd definitely stay again for the low price and good location.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Colonial Motel? Share your experiences!