“Great Value.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 18 Wisconsin Dells B&B and Inns
Waukesha, Wisconsin, United States
“Great Value.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Very economical, excellent location. Saving money on the room allowed us to spend our money on all the attractions that the dells has to offer. We booked the smallest least priced room and found it a bit small. However, we were not in the room very much and did not have any problems with the room. The owner takes great pride in his property and it shows. The pool was nice. I could see how some might be put off by the size of the room but we enjoyed the throwback feel and experience. The one thing that would have made the stay better would have been a bigger bath towel, just sayin'.

Room Tip: Maybe pay for the bigger rooms.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

39 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Polish first
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

We love this motel and the owners are extremely hospitable. The rooms are extremely clean as well as the motel grounds. The owners were kind enough to let us store our bikes in their personal storage unit. Love this place! Absolutely best deal in the Dells and in a wonderful location.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
South Venice, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We have stayed in the Dells for more than 20 years now. Stayed at many places, but stayed at The Colonial,with Ted and Ursula for the last 15 years. They are wonderful!!! Yes the Hotel is small, but always super clean, and super respectful "for" their guests. So if you want to party all night, let your kids run wild, irritate all the other guests, have the management not care, go elsewhere. The is one of the biggest reasons I stay here. They are always cleaning, and grooming the place. They work very hard to keep what they have. So speaking from a guest stand point!! Awesome job!!!

Room Tip: All rooms are very accessible to attractions. Bottom level facing pool are most convenient.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Chicago, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

If you keep in mind that our room was only $40 a night, it was par for what we paid for. It's a cheap motel - what can you say? If you want to save money and stay at the cheapest place in the Dells, then stay here and deal with it.

Cons:
Bed was extremely hard and covered in a plastic sheet that crinkled loudly. The pillow was literally as hard as a rock. Don't expect to get much sleep here.
The shower turned ice cold each time I used it, but just for a minute or two.
Don't forget your shampoo and conditioner, and a hair dryer. I forgot my dryer so I couldn't wash my hair. Nothing is supplied except soap.
It was freezing in the room at first, but once the heater got going, it was very warm.

Pros:
The owner was actually very nice and friendly to us. I've found that if you treat others like you'd like to be treated, they usually respond the same way. He let us stay another half hour after check out with no problems at all.
Our room was clean.
It was cheap, so we could save our money to do things in town instead of spending it on a room we were only sleeping in.

Honestly, I'm used to more cushy accommodations so I will pay more to stay at a nicer place next time, but I'm thinking that this might be fine for those in their teens/early 20s as a place to crash.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Colonial_Motel, Owner at Colonial Motel, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
Thank you for your response and for staying at the Colonial Motel. The reason for the mattresses having the plastic sheet is per health department regulations. The room that you stayed in was and economy room, please note that we also have a variety of different rooms to choose from as well (singles, doubles and family suites).

Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

I just got back from my 1 night stay in a Queen room for $35, yep, $35. When we checked in, we also received some discounts for local attractions that ended up saving us $10 and a free ticket to Mt Olympus water park. The room was tiny but I didn't expect much for $35. The pool was nice and the location was essentially in the downtown. As others have said, the owner isn't the friendliest but we didn't have any issues with him. We were quiet and obeyed the rules.

Overall, I'd definitely stay again for the low price and good location.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012 via mobile

Called them last night to possibly rent a room. My fiance after giving him our info decided we weren't going to stay there because they didn't have the room we were looking for. He told them not to run our card because we were not going to stay there. This morning.. they ran our account and took our money. My fiance calls and they are rude and said he wanted the room. They would refund all but 5.00.. and won't say when. So I call and the gentlemen was screaming and swearing at me. Wow.. real professional! Still no answer on the refund.. I will never stay here!!!

• Stayed August 2012
This customer did not understand the Colonial Motel reservation policy that we hold and so do the other motel/hotel business owners surrounding the Wisconsin Dells area.

This customer made a reservation and per our policy we charge the credit card one night to hold the room and also if the reservation is cancelled less than 72 hours before check-in, we charge a $5.00 cancellation paperwork fee. All of this information was explained to the customer and is listed on our website. We do not understand this customer complaint as the policy was explained to them.

Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

The owner is horrible, very mean….we were outside he told us to go to sleep like we were children. Told us that we were too loud but my 4 moth old daughter was sleeping in the stroller (we were talking). That night he called my husband names, which I think was unprofessional but he was mean to us when we checked in, no halo or anything pay and get out. When the next day I went to pay for the second day and told him that it was not nice of him he told us to get out of the motel. He kicked us out in the pick season with 4 month old and our friends with a 5 year old. Called my friend a B…. and when we wanted to call Police he told them that we called him a B….. word. If u want to go on vacation don’t go there because if you breathe too loud he will probably tell u to leave no hesitation. Plus the policy is no money back if you are loud and he asks you to leave, very smart.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Customers arrived and were to stay at the Colonial Motel for 2 nights August 10th and August 11th. Upon arriving the guests were sitting and socializing in our picnic area table with no issues and they stayed in this area for the day and into the night.

They were not being loud at first, however, their drinking may have become excessive through the day and into the night and began shouting and screaming after midnight. I (Colonial Motel manager) first approached the party at 1:20am and asked them politely to please calm down as the other guests were complaining. They explained they would be quiet and continued to socialize and drink. I (Colonial Motel manager) began receiving more calls from other guests staying at the motel at about 2:30am explaining that if this party did not be quiet, the guests would call the police department. Again, I (Colonial Motel manager) approached the party at a little after 2:30am and explained to them that they were being loud and bothering the other guests staying at the motel. I told them that they could take their party back to their room and they had no problem with this.

The next morning, they came to the office and explained that they did not want to stay at the Colonial Motel and wanted to leave. They started to argue with the Colonial Motel manager using vulgar words and at that point we had to call the Police Department to have them removed from the property.

Colonial Motel

Been to Colonial Motel? Share your experiences!