“You get what you pay for here” 3 of 5 stars

and 1 more site!
You added Colonial Motel to your Saves list
606 Broadway, Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Chicago, IL
“You get what you pay for here”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

If you keep in mind that our room was only $40 a night, it was par for what we paid for. It's a cheap motel - what can you say? If you want to save money and stay at the cheapest place in the Dells, then stay here and deal with it.

Cons:
Bed was extremely hard and covered in a plastic sheet that crinkled loudly. The pillow was literally as hard as a rock. Don't expect to get much sleep here.
The shower turned ice cold each time I used it, but just for a minute or two.
Don't forget your shampoo and conditioner, and a hair dryer. I forgot my dryer so I couldn't wash my hair. Nothing is supplied except soap.
It was freezing in the room at first, but once the heater got going, it was very warm.

Pros:
The owner was actually very nice and friendly to us. I've found that if you treat others like you'd like to be treated, they usually respond the same way. He let us stay another half hour after check out with no problems at all.
Our room was clean.
It was cheap, so we could save our money to do things in town instead of spending it on a room we were only sleeping in.

Honestly, I'm used to more cushy accommodations so I will pay more to stay at a nicer place next time, but I'm thinking that this might be fine for those in their teens/early 20s as a place to crash.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Colonial_Motel, Owner at Colonial Motel, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
Thank you for your response and for staying at the Colonial Motel. The reason for the mattresses having the plastic sheet is per health department regulations. The room that you stayed in was and economy room, please note that we also have a variety of different rooms to choose from as well (singles, doubles and family suites).

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Polish first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

I just got back from my 1 night stay in a Queen room for $35, yep, $35. When we checked in, we also received some discounts for local attractions that ended up saving us $10 and a free ticket to Mt Olympus water park. The room was tiny but I didn't expect much for $35. The pool was nice and the location was essentially in the downtown. As others have said, the owner isn't the friendliest but we didn't have any issues with him. We were quiet and obeyed the rules.

Overall, I'd definitely stay again for the low price and good location.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012 via mobile

Called them last night to possibly rent a room. My fiance after giving him our info decided we weren't going to stay there because they didn't have the room we were looking for. He told them not to run our card because we were not going to stay there. This morning.. they ran our account and took our money. My fiance calls and they are rude and said he wanted the room. They would refund all but 5.00.. and won't say when. So I call and the gentlemen was screaming and swearing at me. Wow.. real professional! Still no answer on the refund.. I will never stay here!!!

• Stayed August 2012
This customer did not understand the Colonial Motel reservation policy that we hold and so do the other motel/hotel business owners surrounding the Wisconsin Dells area.

This customer made a reservation and per our policy we charge the credit card one night to hold the room and also if the reservation is cancelled less than 72 hours before check-in, we charge a $5.00 cancellation paperwork fee. All of this information was explained to the customer and is listed on our website. We do not understand this customer complaint as the policy was explained to them.

Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

The owner is horrible, very mean….we were outside he told us to go to sleep like we were children. Told us that we were too loud but my 4 moth old daughter was sleeping in the stroller (we were talking). That night he called my husband names, which I think was unprofessional but he was mean to us when we checked in, no halo or anything pay and get out. When the next day I went to pay for the second day and told him that it was not nice of him he told us to get out of the motel. He kicked us out in the pick season with 4 month old and our friends with a 5 year old. Called my friend a B…. and when we wanted to call Police he told them that we called him a B….. word. If u want to go on vacation don’t go there because if you breathe too loud he will probably tell u to leave no hesitation. Plus the policy is no money back if you are loud and he asks you to leave, very smart.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Customers arrived and were to stay at the Colonial Motel for 2 nights August 10th and August 11th. Upon arriving the guests were sitting and socializing in our picnic area table with no issues and they stayed in this area for the day and into the night.

They were not being loud at first, however, their drinking may have become excessive through the day and into the night and began shouting and screaming after midnight. I (Colonial Motel manager) first approached the party at 1:20am and asked them politely to please calm down as the other guests were complaining. They explained they would be quiet and continued to socialize and drink. I (Colonial Motel manager) began receiving more calls from other guests staying at the motel at about 2:30am explaining that if this party did not be quiet, the guests would call the police department. Again, I (Colonial Motel manager) approached the party at a little after 2:30am and explained to them that they were being loud and bothering the other guests staying at the motel. I told them that they could take their party back to their room and they had no problem with this.

The next morning, they came to the office and explained that they did not want to stay at the Colonial Motel and wanted to leave. They started to argue with the Colonial Motel manager using vulgar words and at that point we had to call the Police Department to have them removed from the property.

Davenport, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

I first have to start by saying, and I will always say this, I have been coming here since I was a child and it has been fantastic every single time, without fail. The rooms are VERY clean and smell fresh and the air conditioners always work and do not make any noise. The owners have always been respectful to my family and any other guests I have seen come here.

The only time I saw the owner was at the front desk when we checked in. He did not have to come out and tell us to be quiet or to go to bed, even when we were back around 2 a.m. and had the and microwave on. If he did, it would probably be because we were being too loud after hours, and it would be just out of respect and comfort of the other guests. Yes, you are on vacation but respect and quiet time is still very much valued and expected.

The pool is always kept clean and crystal clear with plenty of seats and tables for relaxing and spending time after a long day on the strip. Guests pay hard-earned money for the rooms and to be able to swim in the pool, it would not be fair for guests from other motels to swim in the pool so I appreciate that the manager was keeping an eye on this.

Another wonderful stay at the Colonial Inn! We will definitely be back for years to come. I recommend this place to anyone looking for a peaceful place to relax after exploring the Dells. Rooms and bathrooms are cleaned very well on a daily basis, the owners are absolutely fantastic, the rates are very affordable and it's the best location for downtown shopping and exploring!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

It was the worst experience in my life, owners were very rude, wanted you to be in bed @ 10 because they were all in your face saying that you should be putting your kids to sleep its late,come on we are on vacation we dont need a bby sitter, charged my credit card suposely for a bath matt that i never saw. very disappointed.

Room Tip: Stay better at the Fritzgerald Motel
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
We spoke to the customer about her children yelling and running around the balcony's of the Colonial Motel at 2:30am and asked her to please tell her children to stop. The children were also knocking on the doors of other guests and waking them up. The customer explained that she was not the babysitter of the children and let them continue running around.

The customer was charged was charged for 1 bath mat, however, there were towels missing also as reported by the Colonial Motel maid service employees.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012 via mobile

The manager assaulted one of the people in our room and slammed his hand in the door. Then he called the cops to have us kicked out after we asked for his posted surveillance tape showing the assault. Avoid this place at all costs. Oh yeah the person he assaulted was a member of the United States Military and even said his was NOT at all sorry for doing it!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2012
Customer made a reservation for 6 people however, upon arrival, they came with 9 people. From the moment of arrival the customer began to start a party and began excessively drinking. The first complaint from other guest staying at the motel was 6:00pm. I (Colonial Motel manager), approached the room and ask the customer to please quiet down as other guest have been complaining about the loud noise. The guest continued to drink and be disruptive and at 2:00am I (Colonial Motel manager) received multiple complaints from more guests. At this point, we called the Police Department and the Police Officer explained to the customer that the registered 6 people for the room was to stay for the night and the remaining 3 people were to leave the Colonial Motel property.

At this point the Police Officer was assured by the customer that they would be quiet and settle down. After the Police Officer left, the customer began again partying and being disruptive on the room and on the balcony.

At 2:45am the Police were called again as the more guests were complaining about the noise and vulgar language coming from the room. Colonial motel management did not slam the customers hand in a door or assault them. Two customers were handcuffed for obstructing the officer and his party evicted by the Police Department. His hand hurt probably because he was handcuffed. Customer was also very vulgar with the Police Officers and cited for Disorderly Conduct.

If there are any questions, the Police Officer explained that you are welcome to contact the Wisconsin Dells Police Department (608) 253-1161 (Case/Report #: 121775WD) for further information.

Colonial Motel

Been to Colonial Motel? Share your experiences!