“Great place for the money!!” 5 of 5 stars

Colonial Motel
606 Broadway, Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Ranked #10 of 18 Wisconsin Dells B&B and Inns
Wisconsin
“Great place for the money!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

The Colonial Motel is right on the strip, great for walking right down to the shopping and food. It also has a cute pool with a water slide. I thought the owner was very nice, even made sure to offer us 2 for one at Mt. Olympus coupons. The room was only $50 a night, so obviously it was pretty bare bones. Microwave, tv, bathroom, and beds. It was very very clean though! The only thing I would recommend is to bring a hair dryer! When we were staying it was about 90 degrees the whole time and was worried a little air conditioner wouldn't be enough to keep the room cool, but it did the job great! I would recommend this place to anyone looking to save some money on a trip to the Dells!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

39 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Polish first
Homewood, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

Like another reviewer I too love the old retro motels that remind me of vacations from childhood. We stayed here in July or August 2010. Our last couple of visits to the Dells prior we stayed at a couple of the big waterparks. This time around I wanted to try staying in the downtown part on the strip. I was a bit worried since I believe all the places to stay in this area are old and wasn't sure how it would be. The rates are very cheap but the room and bathroom were very clean. Everything worked good...it has a nice pool that my daughter absolutely loved--and the location is perfect--walking distance to places to eat/shops and attractions downtown. I've spent wayyyy more money at some of the bigger/waterparks and had more issues with the room than this place. Would recommend to anyone looking for something nostalgic and very clean for the value you are getting

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

absolutely love this little motel. My boyfriend and I have been visiting the dells for the last four summers and this is the place we always end up. This motel is a little gem straight from the fifties. Whenever, I go to the dells I long for the nostalgia from when I was a child. I yearn for the roadside oddities and campy motels. The Colonial is just that. It is run by a lovely husband and wife team. You can tell that they take pride in their property due to the cleanliness of the rooms and outside area. This is not a luxury hotel, but yet a cute quaint throwback roadside motel. The rooms are simple with a bed, tv, shower and air conditioner. Each room has chairs that are placed outside which is nice for late night people watching and relaxing. The pool is nice, clean, and heated. The most wonderful thing about the colonial is the price. We were able to stay four nights in the dells for less than $170. The room was $44 each night with tax included. I highly recommend this motel to anyone who is looking to save a little money while traveling through the dells.

Oh, and by the way. The couple that run this motel are very nice. The gentleman may seem a bit crass at first impression, but he is actually very nice.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
McGregor, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

The Colonial Motel has a great location close to downtown and easy walking distance to shopping and bars. The motel is one of the cleanest we have ever stayed at. But a few of the downsides-firstly, the owner is not friendly and very cold. Check out is at 10 AM and he was on the phone at 10:01 telling us that it was time to check out! Also, the rooms are very small and have the most uncomfortable beds we have ever slept in. When we were leaving there was no "Thank you come again" Not to worry-we won't be back anyway.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

This hotel is very reasonable among the lot. However we stayed in this hotel during the long weekend and so he charged us 65$ per night for 1 queen bed. (usually it s 38$/ night for 1 queen bed). the hotel is in the heart of the "strip". So all shopping is nearby. The upper dells boat tours are walking distance away.

Hotel is very neat and clean. No serious complaints. Even the bathrooms were very clean. our room was small. it had a microwave. fridge is on request. The room was cozy and nice. No cons as such. Overall a thumbs up if you want to save hundreds of dollars.

Room Tip: No internet, No hair dryer and carry your own shampoo and conditioners. Soap provided
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
La Crosse, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

If I could give this motel zero out of five stars, I would. What follows is a horror story that I hope will allow you to learn from our massive mistake of staying at the Colonial Motel. My girlfriend, another couple and I decided spur of the moment to stay overnight so we could go to the clubs and the bars. Upon arrival we were treated with contempt by one of the most unfriendly business owners I've ever come across. No doubt because of our ages (being from 21 - 25), he had an attitude from the start as if we were nothing but trouble.

This motel is prime location for the main strip! Just don't plan on actually staying there. When we got back at bar time, we weren't quite ready to get settled down yet so we went to walking along some of the back residential roads. We did not wander too far and granted were a little noisy and roughhousing (who isn't when they've had a few?), but at least had the courtesy to not be loud and crazy on the balcony, our room, or at all on the premise where it would reasonably disturb other guests.

However, on our way back and heading up the stairs and over the balcony to the room to end the night, we were greeted by two patrol cars, handcuffed, detained, and our persons and room searched. Usually you know how when you're staying at a hotel and you're a little loud they will simply tell you to quiet down? Well this motel owner decided to skip the courtesy call and bring in the police so he could enjoy watching the hour some process of detaining/searching/processing us.

Of course, he then demanded that we leave the motel and find somewhere else to stay (sorry no refunds!), but not before he accused us of creating a gouge mark that was in the wall. However, we were literally in the room for a half hour before we left (not yet drinking!), and were intercepted by police before we even got back inside.

After paying for a taxi to the new motel, buying a room and buying a taxi back the next morning so my girlfriend could make it home in time for work, we get set back another hour due to the fact that he decides he cannot stand the sight of my car for another 5 - 6 hours (by the end of this it was much later than we would have liked), and gets it impounded costing another $150.

I won't even comment on the room or atmosphere because the price says it all.. you're much better off staying next door at the Fitzgerald! Aside from getting ripped off the price of a room, being humiliated and detained, and shoes lost (or thrown away), this cheapo-motel ends up costing us another $300 on top of the $80 room; we may as well have stayed at the Kalahari. All this because we had a good time, were a little loud and he could not ask us once to quiet down.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Colonial_Motel, Owner at Colonial Motel, responded to this review, November 25, 2011
Colonial Motel Response:

Colonial Motel was not involved in this case from the beginning.

According to the formal police report, it was explained by the surrounding homeowners that there was an incident on the street and the police were called because these individuals were disturbing the peace due to being intoxicated by both alcohol and drugs. Please note, this incident did not happen on Colonial Motel grounds and these individuals were processed at the Wisconsin Dells Police Station and prosecuted by the court.
Waukesha, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

We stayed at the Colonial Motel over the last weekend. The hotel is right on Broadway Street in downtown Wisconsin Dells. It is a perfect location and very close to the restaurants and bars. Great price and clean rooms. We will come back for sure next summer and tell our friends!

Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Colonial Motel? Share your experiences!