“Great Location and Great Value” 5 of 5 stars

You added Colonial Motel to your Saves list
606 Broadway, Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Ranked #10 of 18 Wisconsin Dells B&B and Inns
Waukesha, Wisconsin
“Great Location and Great Value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

We stayed at the Colonial Motel over the last weekend. The hotel is right on Broadway Street in downtown Wisconsin Dells. It is a perfect location and very close to the restaurants and bars. Great price and clean rooms. We will come back for sure next summer and tell our friends!

Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Polish first
Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2011

Our last minute trip to the Dells turned out better than we had hoped mostly because of the nice, clean, friendly Colonial Motel. The last trip to the Dells, we spent triple the money for a room that was dirty, noisy, with a horrible outdoor pool at motel chain. The Colonial is well maintained, the pool was crystal clear, and air conditioner worked almost too well. We will keep this on our get-away list and I would recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Lake Elmo, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2011

Where to start? My friend Laura and I came down for two days. She was very tired when we arrived in town early and said she wanted to check in as soon as possible. Check in was at 2 so we forced ourself to go through Mount Olympus Amusement Park for a few hours till 2. Finally we drove over to the motel and found a sign on the door saying "Be back at 3". So we had to spend another hour walking around town which she barely had the energy for.

Once we checked in I was surprised to see that the room keys were actual metal keys on a keychain. Inside the room, the cable on the itty bitty square TV had to be fiddled with to come in clearer, and they only got 8 channels: CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX, Fox News, ESPN, Cartoon Network, and HBO. How is it even possible to only get some cable? And if you're paying for HBO, you don't have a cable service that gives you at least 40 something other channels? Food, USA, TNT? When we watched TV the following night it was a bit infuriating to have such a limited choice.

The next morning when we went to shower the water was very cold. I tried turning the shower knobs in all different directions and couldn't get hot water. After letting it run for a while as an experiment it got too hot, and I burned myself a bit trying to shower. Then it suddenly got colder on its own again and I had to rinse off and be done. They also claim on their sign the pool is heated. That's bogus. I tried getting in it and not even the warm day and the sun was making a difference.

As we left the room our first morning the owner spotted us, and asked us if we needed the maid service or anything cleaned. We said we were fine, and when we returned that night realized it was what we thought. Bed, towels, floor... Untouched.

Ok, now pardon this one, I'll try and be delicate. The toilet in the bathroom is shoved in a tiny corner behind the sink and next to the shower. You have to walk sideways and cram yourself in to sit down. When you try and clean yourself up you're banging your arms everywhere.

That night I also found an ant crawling on me while I watched TV.

In the morning when we went to check out early, the sign on the door said the owner arrives a few hours later. You just drop your keys through the slot and you're checked out. So he doesn't even stick around if there is a problem. There's nobody there.

If you need a cheap stay, this is it, but for all the deals that can be found for better hotels that give you waterpark tickets to stay there, I will never return to the Colonial Motel.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Colonial_Motel, Owner at Colonial Motel, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
Colonial Motel manager was not able to be present at the motel at 2:30pm due to an emergency that required him to leave the property for 1 hour. There was a sign placed on the door to notify any people coming to the office that he would return to the motel.

The customer from the time of check-in had displayed the 'Privacy Please' tag on the outside of the door. Per the Colonial Motel management this means no entry to the room (including maid service) as the guest does not want to be bothered. As the manger saw the customer the next morning, we specifically asked the customer if anything was need for their room (maid service, towels, replace of garbage, etc). and their response was , "No". The manager then informed the customer that if anything was needed, to please come to the office and we would provided to them, however, they never came to the office.

We strive to provide a happy stay for all of our guests. We do not understand this customers complaints as they were asked if they needed anything for their stay and they said, "No".

Travelers are raving about these Wisconsin Dells hotels

eau claire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

When I checked out of my room at the Colonial Motel on 6/19/2011 I made sure the room was not messy. I was called by the owner and he stated i put a curling iron on the 13'' tv which was in the room. When went back to see what he was talking about i was that the owner switched the tv in my room with another and claimed that i broke the tv and when i told him that the tv in the room was not the one i had when i checked in he said i was lieing and i had to pay for the tv. so we had the police involved and they say it was a civial suit. I found out once i got back to my home that they charged my credit card 150 dollars for a 13'' sanyo tv so i dont recommend this motel and if you go to the place take pictures of your room so this doesnt happend to you.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Customer stayed two nights at the Colonial Motel. During the customers stay they did not ask for any maid service and kept a privacy sign on their door.

After two days upon checking out, the Colonial Motel maid service employees reported damage to the TV to the Colonial Motel manager. At this point, we contacted the customer as they did not report any issues with the room upon checking out. The customer became very rude to the manager and yelling that they did not damage the TV.

The Police Department was called to help assist the manager in explaining to the customer that they are responsible for any damages that they cause to the room and it's contents and they were charged to replace the TV.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2011

As a child, my entire family would stay at this motel in their family suites and we returned every summer for several years for their quality and budget-friendly rooms but most of all, for their wonderful attitude and personality. It's right on Broadway (the strip) within walking distance to all of the attractions, restaurants, shopping, and shuttles that take you to attractions off of Broadway like the Duck and Boat tours. The owners are so welcoming and friendly, they strive to make you feel comfortable. The pool is great and cleaned nightly. Rooms are a little older but housekeeping staff is excellent so rooms smell clean and fresh. They are very considerate of your privacy and restful sleep and clean late morning when most guests are already out and about. They have 24/7 free shuttle service to and from the Ho-Chunk Casino. My husband and I asked the owner about the casino shuttle and he was very helpful. He even called the shuttle for us and they were there within 20 minutes.

We've stayed at high-end motels that cost double and triple what we paid here and never experienced the friendliness and comfort that we felt here. We visited last summer and cannot wait to return to the Colonial this summer!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2010

Every time I go to the Dells, I always prefer to stay at the Colonial. In fact, I even stay in the same room each time.....centered and overlooking the pool. The atmosphere is friendly and down to earth, the owners are nice, and the rooms are always clean.

Its location right by downtown makes it unbeatable. When I stay at the Colonial, I feel like I'm "at home."

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Joliet, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2010

my wife and i stayed here on 07-25-10 motel is older but the owners keep it up and its clean. the motel is close to all the downtown shopping and attractions.it also has a nice very clean pool about the only thing it dont have is wifi but that seems to be the case with all the older motels.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Colonial Motel? Share your experiences!