“Good stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Birchcliff Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Birchcliff Resort
You added Birchcliff Resort to your Saves list
4149 River Rd., Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Ranked #12 of 79 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
“Good stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

Got the Groupon deal but have to pay extra because there's no more available rooms for the option I bought supposed to be the old time cabin.
Worked out pretty good because the duplex with loft turned out to be better for us.
The resorts son Brian was very accommodating reg my reservation. Other staff were also nice and courteous.
The place was secluded but just a few mins from downtown.
Just a little bit scary driving there at night, very dark no street lights at all.
The place looks like an old time resort which is just my type.
The cabin where we stayed is good size,clean but a little bit
Musty smelling.
TV needs upgrade,it's still the small box TV and only 5 channels.
There's no wifi which is fine for
Me as it gives my kids a break from iPads and vid games.but I have ATT and there's no signal on my fone either.no fone hook ups in the cabin so if you need something like extra pillows or blankets you have to walk to the main office.
Both times I went to the office there was nobody at the desk and there's a note instead to ring bell or to call a certain no.but I don't have signal on my fone so just waited there until somebody comes.
There's a recreation room but the stuff there are so old my kids was not able to play with it, when we get there the place was deserted and was so dusty, no wonder why. The building itself is in good shape just needs a little updating,probably new toys to play with?billiards? Foosball?air hockey table?
Hiking trail is very nice leading to a beach, you just have climb down the cliff to get to the beach.
It would also be nice if there's a divider in the front porch between units just for a little privacy.
Overall, it was a nice stay and will come back esp with a groupon deal, gets a little bit pricey without it.
Important thing is it
Is clean and the staff are
Nice.

• Stayed July 2014

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Onawa, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

Stayed at this location in late July 2014 for five nights with children. Great place for families.

The good: Great pool and activities for kids. Staff was very nice. Close enough to attractions without being close to ridiculous traffic. Very quiet area. Communal campfire at 8 pm gives an opportunity to get to know other resort guests. Great discounts for attractions and golf at Cold Water Canyon Golf course. Truly one of most beautiful courses I've played.

The not so good: No wifi at our cabin, only at main desk. TV was old CRT with two or so working channels. Beds were hard. Limited kitchen, two burner electric cook top, no oven. Our porch didn't have a railing or spindles around it to keep little ones from taking a wrong step. No phones. A few burnt out light bulbs.

The beach walk was a bit long and the end of the trail is definitely not for those with problems with a steep decent or, on return, a steep ascent. This walk was completely worth it however.

Overall this is a very nice place but for a few inconveniences. The setting reminded me of Disney's Fort Wilderness

Room Tip: Don't know if it matters but I had seen a few tv satellite dishes on different cabins so they ma...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

We had the best time at Birchcliff. The place is secluded yet very close to everything. The staff is super friendly, and the place is perfect for families. The pool is very clean, and the grounds are beautiful. We stayed for four nights and wanted to stay longer but the place was booked (I was not surprised). We went to the beautiful little beach, played tennis, cooked out. I twas awesome!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

This was a wonderful, quiet, and rustic experience. It was very close to the tourist attractions of the Dells, and included in the stay were free passes to Chula Vista resort. It was, however, secluded enough to enjoy some quiet time. The cabins were clean and private.
The biggest asset to this resort, however, was the friendly and helpful staff. We arrived very late and the staff was just closing the books for the day. They not only let us check in, but let us take care of payment the next morning, and then walked us to our cabin with a flashlight. On our last day they let us check out late, and then invited us to stay to cook out lunch on their grills and use their pool!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

If had to use one word to sum up my stay at The Birchcliff, it would be REMARKABLE! Staying at a cabin near a wooded area or somewhere secluded has always on my family's Bucket List. I tend to think that The Birchcliff was a lucky find. The staff was able to accommodate our last minute reservation (we visited during Memorial Day weekend) and waited for us way beyond normal check-in hours. The cabin provided a level of comfort not found in some 5 star rating hotels. The resort's amenities were perfect for all ages -- and the free pass to the neighboring water park was a BONUS! We absolutely loved our stay here and will certainly be visiting again (and again) in the near future.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Plymouth, MI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Don't book this resort if you're expecting plush accommodations. DO book it if you're looking to get away from the intense tourist feel of downtime dells.

We booked a single story 2 bedroom cabin. It was clean, however it was quite musty smelling. The air felt damp. We ended up running the AC to try and dry it out. After a while, we just adjusted to the smell.

As for the condition of the cabin, it's obvious they are dated but we knew that going in. There does seem to be some updates being done (at least on the outside - fresh paint) but the furniture in our cabin was tired. * it was clean though* Peaking in other cabins it looks like each one has different furniture. Our kitchen table had chairs where others looked like they had benches.

The cabin includes a kitchenette with 2 burners - one of which only worked part of the time. A little jiggling of the coil got it to work.

We didn't use the grounds too much as the mosquitoes were pretty fierce. They do have a pool, ping pong, shuffle board, a rustic playground and volleyball though. A trail leads through the woods to the river and a nice beach.

My one complaint is that we called ahead and requested/confirmed a pack-and-play for our 6 month old. When we checked in they said it wouldn't be available until the following night. That made for some serious scrambling to come up with sleeping arrangements. If we had known, we would have borrowed one for this leg of our trip.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

As a kid I spent many summer vacations in the dells at Birchcliff. This place has my heart for that reason. Over the last 27 years since I was a kid there, I have been up about three times. This past weekend my hubby and I went up for my birthday weekend. It was nice to see that not much has changed there. And that's not a bad thing! We were upgraded to a more insulated cabin since it was going to be cold at night, it was too much room for my hubby and our two dogs...but it was still wonderful and made me think of the next time we come up and bring friends! Oh yeah..dogs? I did say dogs! They are pet friendly as well! We were able to bring 100ft leashes and tie them up around a tree next to our cabin (you should never leave your pets off leash), while we were outside. We were conscious of the fur, so I brought plenty of blankets to on the furniture. We didn't cook there, but if you want to, there is a stove in the kitchen cabins, plus a charcoal grill. We had a full fridge too. Some restaurants will even deliver for free in the area.
There is a wonderful walk down through the forest on a marked trail to the river. The dogs enjoyed it and were even happy to see a deer cross our path! There is lots to do there if you don't want the hustle and bustle of downtown....they have ping ping, shuffle board, tennis, basketball, pool, games, etc. it was nice and quiet there too...no loud music or noise.
At night they build a campfire and you can hang out there getting to know the wonderful owners or the other people staying there. This place has been open since 1917 and has has only five owners. My family has been going there since that time and I even have a picture of my grandma (who would have been 98), sitting in front of the office sign as a young child.
I will be back again to enjoy some quiet time with family or friends and our pups. I am only sorry we didn't meet up with Joe the last night for our ghost tour :)

Room Tip: I have been in a few of the cabins...depending on what you need you can get kitchens or get the smal...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Birchcliff Resort? Share your experiences!