“Awesome Place!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 80 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Awesome Place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

We had the best time at Birchcliff. The place is secluded yet very close to everything. The staff is super friendly, and the place is perfect for families. The pool is very clean, and the grounds are beautiful. We stayed for four nights and wanted to stay longer but the place was booked (I was not surprised). We went to the beautiful little beach, played tennis, cooked out. I twas awesome!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

This was a wonderful, quiet, and rustic experience. It was very close to the tourist attractions of the Dells, and included in the stay were free passes to Chula Vista resort. It was, however, secluded enough to enjoy some quiet time. The cabins were clean and private.
The biggest asset to this resort, however, was the friendly and helpful staff. We arrived very late and the staff was just closing the books for the day. They not only let us check in, but let us take care of payment the next morning, and then walked us to our cabin with a flashlight. On our last day they let us check out late, and then invited us to stay to cook out lunch on their grills and use their pool!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

If had to use one word to sum up my stay at The Birchcliff, it would be REMARKABLE! Staying at a cabin near a wooded area or somewhere secluded has always on my family's Bucket List. I tend to think that The Birchcliff was a lucky find. The staff was able to accommodate our last minute reservation (we visited during Memorial Day weekend) and waited for us way beyond normal check-in hours. The cabin provided a level of comfort not found in some 5 star rating hotels. The resort's amenities were perfect for all ages -- and the free pass to the neighboring water park was a BONUS! We absolutely loved our stay here and will certainly be visiting again (and again) in the near future.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Plymouth, MI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Don't book this resort if you're expecting plush accommodations. DO book it if you're looking to get away from the intense tourist feel of downtime dells.

We booked a single story 2 bedroom cabin. It was clean, however it was quite musty smelling. The air felt damp. We ended up running the AC to try and dry it out. After a while, we just adjusted to the smell.

As for the condition of the cabin, it's obvious they are dated but we knew that going in. There does seem to be some updates being done (at least on the outside - fresh paint) but the furniture in our cabin was tired. * it was clean though* Peaking in other cabins it looks like each one has different furniture. Our kitchen table had chairs where others looked like they had benches.

The cabin includes a kitchenette with 2 burners - one of which only worked part of the time. A little jiggling of the coil got it to work.

We didn't use the grounds too much as the mosquitoes were pretty fierce. They do have a pool, ping pong, shuffle board, a rustic playground and volleyball though. A trail leads through the woods to the river and a nice beach.

My one complaint is that we called ahead and requested/confirmed a pack-and-play for our 6 month old. When we checked in they said it wouldn't be available until the following night. That made for some serious scrambling to come up with sleeping arrangements. If we had known, we would have borrowed one for this leg of our trip.

Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

As a kid I spent many summer vacations in the dells at Birchcliff. This place has my heart for that reason. Over the last 27 years since I was a kid there, I have been up about three times. This past weekend my hubby and I went up for my birthday weekend. It was nice to see that not much has changed there. And that's not a bad thing! We were upgraded to a more insulated cabin since it was going to be cold at night, it was too much room for my hubby and our two dogs...but it was still wonderful and made me think of the next time we come up and bring friends! Oh yeah..dogs? I did say dogs! They are pet friendly as well! We were able to bring 100ft leashes and tie them up around a tree next to our cabin (you should never leave your pets off leash), while we were outside. We were conscious of the fur, so I brought plenty of blankets to on the furniture. We didn't cook there, but if you want to, there is a stove in the kitchen cabins, plus a charcoal grill. We had a full fridge too. Some restaurants will even deliver for free in the area.
There is a wonderful walk down through the forest on a marked trail to the river. The dogs enjoyed it and were even happy to see a deer cross our path! There is lots to do there if you don't want the hustle and bustle of downtown....they have ping ping, shuffle board, tennis, basketball, pool, games, etc. it was nice and quiet there too...no loud music or noise.
At night they build a campfire and you can hang out there getting to know the wonderful owners or the other people staying there. This place has been open since 1917 and has has only five owners. My family has been going there since that time and I even have a picture of my grandma (who would have been 98), sitting in front of the office sign as a young child.
I will be back again to enjoy some quiet time with family or friends and our pups. I am only sorry we didn't meet up with Joe the last night for our ghost tour :)

Room Tip: I have been in a few of the cabins...depending on what you need you can get kitchens or get the smal...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

We looked at SO many places and it was hard to find one that would accommodate our annual 4 day, 3 night LARGE family reunion. Birchcliff offered enough cabins which varied in size and price, including being dog friendly for our family members who feel strongly about bringing their beloved pups along. We could not have been happier, all 70 of us! The campfire area is wonderful, encircled with wooden adirondack chairs in all sizes that were hand made by one of the family members who run and own Birchcliff. What an amazing caring thing to do for their guests. One of my 80 year old uncles was recovering from back surgery and when the owner saw how much trouble he had walking, he and his son offered to give him and my Aunt a ride to our family dinners in the dining hall in the golf carts they use to take care of the grounds. These people don't just "run" Birchcliff.... they LOVE what they do and it comes through by the way they treat their guest. Oh, and it is beautiful & well cared for. You would never know how close it is to all the hub bub of the Dells and it's attractions. As for me, I was happy staying right there for the four days while younger family members were off at a water park. We had a moonlight swim instead. :-)

Rochester, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

We stayed 4 nights in one of the duplex cabins with the loft. Our two young sons loved the spiral staircase to the loft area. The room was nice and comfortable. It was great having a full size fridge and the 2 burner cook top - we saved a lot on meals. The grounds are nice and the resort was very quiet which was great. The pool was perfect.

If I could suggest one thing, it is that the owners set aside some funds every few years to update the rec room and sporting equipment. The rec room games were falling apart. My boys love air hockey, but the puck was so worn that there was no raised edge under it to allow the air to lift it. The only ping pong ball for the table was dented. Outside the basketball was completely bald and worn and the tennis equipment was in pretty bad shape. I realize that not many people play those games anymore, but it was fun to have them available for young kids who still do enjoy them - just wish the equipment was in better shape.

Overall I would recommend this place as a great place for families that is close to the attractions, and very reasonably priced.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Birchcliff Resort? Share your experiences!