“Secluded, cozy, and memorable” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Birchcliff Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Birchcliff Resort
4149 River Rd., Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #11 of 75 hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Illinois
“Secluded, cozy, and memorable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

As a kid I spent many summer vacations in the dells at Birchcliff. This place has my heart for that reason. Over the last 27 years since I was a kid there, I have been up about three times. This past weekend my hubby and I went up for my birthday weekend. It was nice to see that not much has changed there. And that's not a bad thing! We were upgraded to a more insulated cabin since it was going to be cold at night, it was too much room for my hubby and our two dogs...but it was still wonderful and made me think of the next time we come up and bring friends! Oh yeah..dogs? I did say dogs! They are pet friendly as well! We were able to bring 100ft leashes and tie them up around a tree next to our cabin (you should never leave your pets off leash), while we were outside. We were conscious of the fur, so I brought plenty of blankets to on the furniture. We didn't cook there, but if you want to, there is a stove in the kitchen cabins, plus a charcoal grill. We had a full fridge too. Some restaurants will even deliver for free in the area.
There is a wonderful walk down through the forest on a marked trail to the river. The dogs enjoyed it and were even happy to see a deer cross our path! There is lots to do there if you don't want the hustle and bustle of downtown....they have ping ping, shuffle board, tennis, basketball, pool, games, etc. it was nice and quiet there too...no loud music or noise.
At night they build a campfire and you can hang out there getting to know the wonderful owners or the other people staying there. This place has been open since 1917 and has has only five owners. My family has been going there since that time and I even have a picture of my grandma (who would have been 98), sitting in front of the office sign as a young child.
I will be back again to enjoy some quiet time with family or friends and our pups. I am only sorry we didn't meet up with Joe the last night for our ghost tour :)

Room Tip: I have been in a few of the cabins...depending on what you need you can get kitchens or get the smal...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

36 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

We looked at SO many places and it was hard to find one that would accommodate our annual 4 day, 3 night LARGE family reunion. Birchcliff offered enough cabins which varied in size and price, including being dog friendly for our family members who feel strongly about bringing their beloved pups along. We could not have been happier, all 70 of us! The campfire area is wonderful, encircled with wooden adirondack chairs in all sizes that were hand made by one of the family members who run and own Birchcliff. What an amazing caring thing to do for their guests. One of my 80 year old uncles was recovering from back surgery and when the owner saw how much trouble he had walking, he and his son offered to give him and my Aunt a ride to our family dinners in the dining hall in the golf carts they use to take care of the grounds. These people don't just "run" Birchcliff.... they LOVE what they do and it comes through by the way they treat their guest. Oh, and it is beautiful & well cared for. You would never know how close it is to all the hub bub of the Dells and it's attractions. As for me, I was happy staying right there for the four days while younger family members were off at a water park. We had a moonlight swim instead. :-)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Rochester, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

We stayed 4 nights in one of the duplex cabins with the loft. Our two young sons loved the spiral staircase to the loft area. The room was nice and comfortable. It was great having a full size fridge and the 2 burner cook top - we saved a lot on meals. The grounds are nice and the resort was very quiet which was great. The pool was perfect.

If I could suggest one thing, it is that the owners set aside some funds every few years to update the rec room and sporting equipment. The rec room games were falling apart. My boys love air hockey, but the puck was so worn that there was no raised edge under it to allow the air to lift it. The only ping pong ball for the table was dented. Outside the basketball was completely bald and worn and the tennis equipment was in pretty bad shape. I realize that not many people play those games anymore, but it was fun to have them available for young kids who still do enjoy them - just wish the equipment was in better shape.

Overall I would recommend this place as a great place for families that is close to the attractions, and very reasonably priced.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

We came here right at the end of June. We had a group of 9 people and we LOVED it.

The cabin we got was right as you drove up and had a communal fire pit right behind it. That was nice because it meant we didn't have to go far to be by the fire. We were also right close to the pool. The weekend we went during was colder and rainy but we were still able to enjoy a dip in the pool.

The cabin itself was awesome! It had central air which was awesome. There were 2 room on the first floor and then a attic room with an additional 2 beds. The living room was nice and the BEST part was that there was a 10 person dining table. This was great becuase it meant we all got to sit together and enjoy our emails. The kitchen utensils were plenty and we were able to cook everything with them - steaks, shrimp, chicken, vegetables, salad, etc. The place really had everything we needed.

The beds were comfortable and the bathrooms were nice. Everyone in our party really enjoyed themselves. One of the best parts about this place was that it was only about 1.5 miles away from downtown wisconsin dells yet it was situated in the woods so you felt like you were really getting "away". There is also a little trail that was about 3/4ths of a mile which would lead you to the beach where you could fish or even swim.

I would definitely stay here again. We never heard anyone else, the grounds were clean, the cabins were great and the staff was awesome. Loved this place!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Beresford, South Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Thank you Joe and Janice and family for a wonderful stay at Brichcliff! My husband and 3 kids ages 8,11 and 15 had a great time. This resort has everything we need - a WARM pool, game room with ping pong, foosball, carpetball, outdoor games. Elwood the goat (called Mr Chubbs by us) was a major hit with the kids and Gordy (Jingles to us) was the friendliest cat we have ever met. We also liked the trail and access to the lake and fishing. Be careful though, getting down to the water is rather steep and you can pick up a tick or two on the way. The cabins were nice, clean and spacious for the 5 of us - we stayed in the duplex with the loft. We were the only ones using the pool - they do give free tickets to Chula Vista which is really close to the resort. My kids were anxious to get back from the water parks so we could hang out at "our place" and play games and swim.
A really nice place with really nice people.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
JanoBanano, Manager at Birchcliff Resort, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
I remember your wonderful family very well, we enjoyed having you stay with us. Your comments have filled my heart and sole with joy. I am thrilled to know you had such good experiences while you stayed with us. And yes.......Elwood the goat and Gordy the cat enjoyed you as well !!!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

Our large geographically displaced family made plans to meet in the Dells for a vacation. Only two family members knew the area. The rest of us were coming from other states. I dont understand where the one lady is saying about the staff AT ALL! They were great! They helped make the stay relaxing and fun for us for the week.
The large pool was clean and inviting. Lots of stuff for the kids to do. We had two special needs kids, and they had a great time. Every night theres a supervised campfire.
About cleanliness: There are many cabin sizes and styles to choose from. One cabin style had two levels. The lower level was partially underground, and did have a mildew issue. When I inquired with the staff, they came right away to clean. The problem is they use green cleaning products that might not do the whole job, and our large group with multiple showers and towels from the pool, it was a lot of humidity, too much for the fan to dry up. We understood it's a cabin, not the taj mahal! And the staff cleaned frequently enough to keep dirt at bay.
So i would recommend birchcliff to anybody looking for a relaxing informal resort. We will definitely be back when we return to the Dells.

• Stayed June 2012
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

OK now that our life has settled i would like to say this place was awesome we stayed in one of the cabins for a week and got very familiar with our surrounding cabin was awesome scenery was ammaxing and the hicking trail that leads to the beach perfect for a honeymoon!!! and not to mention the owners of the place were so loveable!!! we had a blast!! definetly going to be coming back!!! :)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
JanoBanano, Manager at Birchcliff Resort, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
A perfect honeymoon could be anyplace, as long as you are together as one, as in life.
You chose Birchcliff - WOW !!! How awesome is that !!!
I am thrilled and humbled that you chose us for such an occasion.

Been to Birchcliff Resort? Share your experiences!