“Another great stay.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Wilderness Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Wilderness Resort
511 East Adams Street, Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Ranked #17 of 77 hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Chicago, Illinois
“Another great stay.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2010

We've been staying at the Wilderness Hotel and Golf Resort for several years now and we have always had a good time. This last trip to the Dells was another great time with no problems at the hotel. The hotel is clean. There is always a bus or golf cart going around to help you get from one place to another if you don't have a car. The waterparks do get a little busy, it's best to get there early in the morning when they first open. Wait times vary, but typically no wait is more than 10 minutes (except for the Hurricane and the Black Hole). Some pools need updating, but that's a simple maintenance thing that they need to start. We will use the Wilderness again for our next trip.

1,710 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (404)
Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

We only stayed one night (Jul 31) but used the waterparks for 2 -the day of arrival and departure. Well worth the money and the kids - ages 9 and 10 - loved the water slides and wave pool. We stayed at Glacier Canyon and had a large, clean room. The parks weren't completely full. Max wait time for the tubes was 5-10 minutes. The Hurricane was about a 30 minute wait - my kids didn't like it. It is quite scary. If you go Sunday to Monday the parks seem to be less crowded. The kids were at the park about 7 hours each day and we all had a blast. Plenty to do and lots of variety. A mini 'Disney-ish' resort.

Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

I stayed at the Wilderness with some friends over the weekend, and I will not be going back. When we got to the hotel, we noticed a lot of weird smells in the hallways and the room we had was overwhelmingly smelly of cleaning chemicals. The second day we were there, the housekeeping came to clean the room at around 1 so we told them to come back in 15 minutes and we left 5 minutes later. We returned to the room to go to dinner at around 6:30 to find out room left open, the housekeeping left the door jam in the hall so our room was left unlocked for everyone to walk into for 5 hours. Luckily nothing was stolen. I called the front desk to complain and the supervisor said he would take care of it and not to worry. Well, the next day, I checked out and I never heard anything about what was done. I would at least expect some sort of a discount or something considering that was very unprofessional and a huge security problem. I went to the front desk to check out and see what was going on with my complaint, it just got reported to the head of the housekeeping and I get nothing for the fact that they left my room open to the public. I will not be returning, Mt Olympus has never given me a problem, and there is more to do there!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Elgin, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

Was very disappointed in the room cleanliness, smell, and atmosphere. My teen-age daughter and I made a spur-of-the-moment trip to visit a friend in the Dells. I had stayed at the Wilderness many years ago and was pleased with the surroundings. It was a Friday afternoon and I felt lucky to have gotten a room upon just stopping in. I wish I had gone with my intuition when they told me the price. It was a double queen room equipped for handicapped going at $300 with tax for one night. I didn't need the handicap accommodations but it was the only "LOW" priced room available.

The room was dreary, over-scented with deodorizing spray and the bathroom smelled damp and mildewy. I attributed the smell in the bathroom to the fact that it was completely tiled with two drains to accommodate wheelchairs into the shower. Unfortunately it wasn't very clean - the shower tile walls weren't the best and the floor was dirty and still wet when I came in. I walked around in my flip flops for the entire evening. My daughter and I decided we were not going to take any shower in the morning, just do a quick cleanup in the sink which thank goodness was located outside the bathroom.

After returning from dinner, my daughter wouldn't even use the toilet, she went to the public one at the pool. I decided to ask for another room.

I will thank them for finding us a room next to it (which was considered a double queen suite since it had a couch in it). But the coment from the dexk was they were glad to move me & "there would not charge me more since it was later in the evening". Since the previous room was not up to a $300.00 fee, I didn't appreciate the remark.

I know part of the cost is to have the waterparks and activities, but if they are going to charge such a high rate at least the rooms should measure up to the cost. The beds were hard and there was still an intense deodorant scent even in the next room.

since we stayed in the original lodge, maybe the newer locations are better taken care of an upscale, but for the price I would suggest looking at other locations and their pricing!

Stevens Point, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2010

$230 a night plus a $30 resort fee tacked on my bill got me a room with badly worn, dirty carpet, a worn out sofa sleeper that wouldn't cut it in a frat house, an air conditioning unit that was loud as a car engine and spewed mildewy air, and small wadded up pieces of tissues in the corner- one of which had a spot of blood on it! To add insult to injury, I had to stand in line for twenty minutes in order to check out because I got double billed for the previous day's lunch and obviously needed to get that straightened out.

The waterparks were fine, but the overall experience was way below that of two other waterpark resorts I've stayed at with my family in The Dells. I don't expect much from hotel staff members during the height of the summer tourist season. The Wilderness staff didn't disappoint on this count either. Wilderness is an overpriced rip off as far as I'm concerned.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2010

We just returned from The WIlderness yesterday. We have two small children (4 and 2), and stayed in the Frontier section (suite with semi private wall). Everyone had an absolute blast. While the resort is a little pricey, if you love the pool and slides you won't be disapointed.
The line-ups are the worst thing about the waterparks. It took nearly 30 minutes to get on the Hurricane and the resort could use more tubes. By 10 am all 4 days we were there the tubes were gone and people were keeping them at their tables.
Our family got the Extreme Pass, which gave you basically one shot of all non water acitivities (go carts, arcade credits, lazer tag, 3 rounds of mini golf, haunted house) I don't think we would do this again, the waterparks are by far the best thing to do at this resort. There are more than enough water activities to hold your attention.
We had a list of things we wanted to accomplish in the Dells and none of it really got done. The weather was great and the kids just wanted to play in the water, my 2 year old loved the slides (especially the 4 person family tube rides).
There seems to be a lot of negativeatey floating around about this place but generally people that write these reviews are people that had a bad experience. Also we attended the Tuesday night movie under the stars (Sharktale), it was a great idea but the the misquitos were just awful.
We also loaded up on groceries at Walmart before checking in. it can get pricey eating at restaraunts every meal, so we like to do breakfast and lunch on our own. (our room had microwave and fridge). Over all it was a great family vacation and we will be back. I already miss the Wilderness radio playing around the Lost World Waterpark.

Elmwood, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2010

We stayed at Glacier Canyon two years ago (part of The Wilderness properties) and LOVED it so we assumed a room at The Wilderness Hotel would be equally as nice. WRONG! Check-in was quick although the young girl helping us had the personality of a pencil eraser. We had booked a two queen deluxe room. Upon entering our room, it was obvious to us that it had been a smoking room in the past. It REEKED of stale cigarettes. With the exception of some black mold growing in the grout in the bathroom and a few large spots on the carpet, the room was fairly clean. We stayed for two nights and Housekeeping did the bare minimum -- half-hearted attempt at making the beds and that's it, didn't restock soap, coffee, etc. Despite the room being a HUGE disappointment, the waterparks were great and we all had a good time there. Some relatives staying in the Dells at the same time paid $99/night at the Wintergreen Resort which included 4 passes to Mount Olympus and discounted tickets for the Wisconsin Ducks. Their room was a bit smaller than ours, but it was no worse and probably a little better than our $245/night room. We won't be returning to The WIldnerness. EVER.

Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Been to Wilderness Resort? Share your experiences!