“Was Pleasantly Surprised!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Wilderness Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Wilderness Resort
511 East Adams Street, Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Ranked #16 of 75 hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Chicago, IL
“Was Pleasantly Surprised!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2009

Okay, the room was average. We paid to stay in a poolside room, which I don't recommend because there is no privacy, no balcony and people walking by your room all the time. The bed was very uncomfortable and the room was always very damp feeling. However, this place has something for everyone and we loved it! There are 3 outdoor water parks and 3 indoor parks, plus Wilderness on the Lake. We stayed for 4 days and each day we went to a new area. It was great. For fun rides and slides outdoors there is the Lost World at Glacier Canyon and New Frontier at the main hotel. If a big swimming pool is what you're looking for, Lake Wilderness at the main hotel has that. Even better for a relaxing pool day is Wilderness on the Lake with the infinity pool. It's quiet and there is no one there for long (they all seem to shuttle to the main hotel). One thing I would recommend is get to the pool early and get a seat because they fill up fast. Each pool opens at a different time so check the schedule. Also, it is very expensive to eat/drink. A hamburger by the pool is $6. Wilderness on the Lake offers 2 for 1 wisconsin beer ($5 for 2). We brought breakfast and lunch food from home and only went out for dinner so we saved a ton of $$$. We were very happy at this hotel and with all the people there it still didn't seem crowded. There are so many places to go, you almost never have to leave! (FYI Wilderness on the Lake says they have a beach but you can't swim in the lake here, you can however play in the sand)

Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

1,624 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2009

After reading reviews of this resort, I was a little skeptical, but we went ahead with our trip. It was myself, my husband, his two sisters and our (combined) 6 children, ages 6 mos., 7, 7, 8, 10, and 13. We knew it would be large and spread out, but we couldn't have imagined how large this property really is. We liked that the waterparks were spread out. As the kids got bored with doing one thing, there was always somewhere else to go. They seemed to enjoy the golf cart rides to and from waterparks as much as anything else. When we arrived, we were given a very detailed map of the property and a list of all the activities and there hours of operation. There were signs posted everywhere directing you to your destination. YES, you can and probably will get lost here. We did a couple of times, but never a big deal and certainly not because of a lack of directions. It's just large with a lot of hallways. The weather wasn't as warm as it should have been, especially in July, but there was plenty to do at the indoor waterparks and even the outdoor ones remained open. The water was very warm (on one cool day, you could see steam coming off of the pool). We stayed 4 nights and that wasn't near enough time to completely enjoy this resort. Let alone talking the kids into leaving the resort to enjoy what the Wisconsin Dells has to offer. We each had a great time with something for everyone. We were sad to leave so soon and hope to return again next year. Also, don't miss the Duck Tours. They conveniently pick you up at the resort and drop you back off. You will learn a lot about the area, enjoy the scenery and the driver will keep you entertained and laughing the entire way. My only concern was the indoor play area/treehouse. The first 2 nights we were there a child was injured (ambulances in both instances). I guess it is expected with so many children running around and they did have more employees watching the area the rest of the time. The waterparks were not too crowded, but in the evenings the playhouse and arcade were packed. You couldn't even walk through the arcade after 7 or 8:00. Of course the kids didn't seem to mind a bit and when they're happy - I'm happy. Also, extracurricular activities (arcade, laser tag, bumper boats, go-carts, mini-golf) can add up, but there are plenty of free amenities to keep everyone entertained. I could complain about the small hole in our extra blanket in our room, but how could I when we all had such a wonderful time! Don't sweat the small stuff - just relax and have fun!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2009

When going to water parks with children it is nice to have everything convienent. Although this resort had nice water parks, slides and wave pool it is spread out in 3 seperate locations. When you visit the wave pool there is one slide, then you need to leave and walk about 5 min to the other building to do some more slides and then another section of the hotel for more slides. If you have little ones in tow bring a stroller.

Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2009

The Wilderness is a fun place to stay and visit for vacation. My family has loved it ever since it nearly opened. We usually go in August, and we love to see how every single year it keeps growing and growing. I recommend that you should stay at the Glacier Canyon Lodge or the Wilderness on the Lake. Very outstanding, and very nice decor. I appreciate that many of the other people who are writing reviews have strong opinions about this resort. I would just like to put out there that this is a nice resort to stay at but there are little barriers here. Such as you may run into broken/some dirty rooms at the original base Wilderness Hotel. So that is kind of why i recommend placing reservations for the Glacier Canyon Lodge, and The Wilderness on The Lake. Also that you should not actually go in June just because of some construction that may be going on that expands/ or adds things to make the resort better. But you should always check on their website every few weeks because there may be slight updates on the website that inform you about the resorts' additions. I hope you take my review into consideration!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2009

We stayed at the Wilderness Resort last year and the kids really wanted to stay here again this year. Our children are 4, 8, and 11. We also took a 5 and 9 yr. old with us. The kids all had a blast. So many things to do!! With the different water parks in the hotel the kids feel like they are going so many places without ever leaving the resort. We stayed in the winter last year, so it was a different experience in the summer. Less walking because you can cut through the outdoors to get from one of the waterparks to another. We also found for the first time that there is a skywalk connecting two of the waterparks. This cuts way down on your walking time!!! Also be sure to pack socks for all of the kids. They have a big indoor playland that is free but all kids have to wear socks. The staff watches and escorts kids out who do not have socks on. Couple reasons I did not give the resort a five-the staff at the waterparks do not seem happy to be there. They are not rude, but not friendly either. My husband and I both noticed this. The last thing is how expensive the food is in the waterparks. We remembered this from last year and so we usually did fast food for lunches as it was much cheaper!! Overall another great stay!!

Minneapolis
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2009

The Wilderness was outdated and shabby. Our room felt damp. The sheets and bedding were FULL of holes and tears. The service was poor. The waterparks were nothing special.
We paid $235 per night, which seemed outrageous for the Wisconsin Dells. The very same week we stayed at the very luxurious and CLEAN Chicago Hilton for $250 per night!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2009

Hotel is always great and have stayed here every year for 15years. However, our recent trip left a bad taste since the Wilderness is now trying to make money at every turn. Many new attractions were added in the last year (go carts, mini golf, lazer tag), that cost a fee in addition to the high room rate. I expect to pay more for these services, however, the initial attraction of the water parks have now limited hours so the kids can turn to these costly attractions and of course the game room ($$$$$) when the pools are closed. SUMMER PEAK WEEKEND are 10am-9pm with the outdoor pools closing at 7pm! It was still light out and 80 degrees when we had to move to the one indoor open area at 7pm. My teens were not happy they had to leave the pool all together at 9pm which use to be 11pm in the good old days. When my kids were younger, some of the indoor pools opened at 8am. Older kids enjoy the later hours when all the little ones aren't around. Also, Since they have spent so much on expanding, they have neglected the normal upkeep of the hotel rooms. My mattress had to be there since it opened as there were springs poking up and a gap in the middle. After a sleepless night, they did replace mine with a brand new one from maintainence with no questions. The other mattress in the room wasn't much better but I guess they must wait for a complaint. The kicker was when we checked out I noticed a 9.50 per day resort fee added to the bill. When I asked what it was, they said this was added for extra services like the daily newspaper, life jackets for kids, the kids club, etc. Huh?! Charge me if you want for these things but don't make up a BS fee and call it a resort fee. I was told there was no way to remove the charges and the cost was on my confirmation email and should have been caught then. When you go to the website, the only place I could find note of a "resort fee" was in the FAQ section. I assume many people don't even notice the fee on their bill and just pay it. Wilderness is a great place to go and I am not one to complain about things, but I do hate the idea of these sneaky changes to make a little cash. If they need money,make my room rate higher. Then I would know my deal of a hotel rate was not actually the hotel rate.

Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Been to Wilderness Resort? Share your experiences!