“Loving it since it started” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Wilderness Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Wilderness Resort
511 East Adams Street, Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Ranked #17 of 77 hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Chicago, IL
“Loving it since it started”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2009

The Wilderness is a fun place to stay and visit for vacation. My family has loved it ever since it nearly opened. We usually go in August, and we love to see how every single year it keeps growing and growing. I recommend that you should stay at the Glacier Canyon Lodge or the Wilderness on the Lake. Very outstanding, and very nice decor. I appreciate that many of the other people who are writing reviews have strong opinions about this resort. I would just like to put out there that this is a nice resort to stay at but there are little barriers here. Such as you may run into broken/some dirty rooms at the original base Wilderness Hotel. So that is kind of why i recommend placing reservations for the Glacier Canyon Lodge, and The Wilderness on The Lake. Also that you should not actually go in June just because of some construction that may be going on that expands/ or adds things to make the resort better. But you should always check on their website every few weeks because there may be slight updates on the website that inform you about the resorts' additions. I hope you take my review into consideration!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business

1,710 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (404)
Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2009

We stayed at the Wilderness Resort last year and the kids really wanted to stay here again this year. Our children are 4, 8, and 11. We also took a 5 and 9 yr. old with us. The kids all had a blast. So many things to do!! With the different water parks in the hotel the kids feel like they are going so many places without ever leaving the resort. We stayed in the winter last year, so it was a different experience in the summer. Less walking because you can cut through the outdoors to get from one of the waterparks to another. We also found for the first time that there is a skywalk connecting two of the waterparks. This cuts way down on your walking time!!! Also be sure to pack socks for all of the kids. They have a big indoor playland that is free but all kids have to wear socks. The staff watches and escorts kids out who do not have socks on. Couple reasons I did not give the resort a five-the staff at the waterparks do not seem happy to be there. They are not rude, but not friendly either. My husband and I both noticed this. The last thing is how expensive the food is in the waterparks. We remembered this from last year and so we usually did fast food for lunches as it was much cheaper!! Overall another great stay!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Minneapolis
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2009

The Wilderness was outdated and shabby. Our room felt damp. The sheets and bedding were FULL of holes and tears. The service was poor. The waterparks were nothing special.
We paid $235 per night, which seemed outrageous for the Wisconsin Dells. The very same week we stayed at the very luxurious and CLEAN Chicago Hilton for $250 per night!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2009

Hotel is always great and have stayed here every year for 15years. However, our recent trip left a bad taste since the Wilderness is now trying to make money at every turn. Many new attractions were added in the last year (go carts, mini golf, lazer tag), that cost a fee in addition to the high room rate. I expect to pay more for these services, however, the initial attraction of the water parks have now limited hours so the kids can turn to these costly attractions and of course the game room ($$$$$) when the pools are closed. SUMMER PEAK WEEKEND are 10am-9pm with the outdoor pools closing at 7pm! It was still light out and 80 degrees when we had to move to the one indoor open area at 7pm. My teens were not happy they had to leave the pool all together at 9pm which use to be 11pm in the good old days. When my kids were younger, some of the indoor pools opened at 8am. Older kids enjoy the later hours when all the little ones aren't around. Also, Since they have spent so much on expanding, they have neglected the normal upkeep of the hotel rooms. My mattress had to be there since it opened as there were springs poking up and a gap in the middle. After a sleepless night, they did replace mine with a brand new one from maintainence with no questions. The other mattress in the room wasn't much better but I guess they must wait for a complaint. The kicker was when we checked out I noticed a 9.50 per day resort fee added to the bill. When I asked what it was, they said this was added for extra services like the daily newspaper, life jackets for kids, the kids club, etc. Huh?! Charge me if you want for these things but don't make up a BS fee and call it a resort fee. I was told there was no way to remove the charges and the cost was on my confirmation email and should have been caught then. When you go to the website, the only place I could find note of a "resort fee" was in the FAQ section. I assume many people don't even notice the fee on their bill and just pay it. Wilderness is a great place to go and I am not one to complain about things, but I do hate the idea of these sneaky changes to make a little cash. If they need money,make my room rate higher. Then I would know my deal of a hotel rate was not actually the hotel rate.

Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2009

This was our 6th time visiting the Wilderness Resort. The past 4 times we have stayed in a 3 Bedroom Frontier Condo. I booked the room in April of 09 for a rate of $375 a night. We stayed June 9-12th, 3 nights. We arrived early on the 9th around 1:30 and I headed to the front desk. As usual our condo wasn't ready and was told to check back in about an hour. We went to the Walmart and checked back in an hour. Once again our condo wasn't ready "they were still cleaning it" and was told to check back in a 1/2 hour. So, we sat in the parking lot and I headed back in 45 minutes later at 3:45. Once again it is not ready and the desk clerk tells me to check back in about 1/2 an hour. So I stand off to the side and stare the staff down, so finally the supervisor calls the "housekeeping supervisor" and wow, our condo is ready. We have a new "energy efficent condo, so in order to put the air conditioning and lights on we must keep a room key card in this little box at all times. So, my brother puts in the card and turns on the air. We head out to the waterparks- and then to dinner. We go to bed for the night, get up, do the waterparks and when we get back to our condo the temperature in the condo is 86 degrees. We call the front desk and tell them that our air is not running correctly. They send a maintenance man over and he knocks on our door. Low and behold the air hasn't been turned on yet for the summer. Boy, were we pissed. AND we didn't even need our card in the special box for the lights and air to run.
The waterparks were fun as usual, but they outside ones did close at 6pm. The WildWest indoor was closed, due to not enough of staff. Mai-Tais were a daily drink special, but not one bartender or staff member knew how to make one and the price was never the same. They had to make the Mai-Tais while reading the ingredients from the recipe book. Yes, 75% of the staff is from foreign countries and all they do is nod their heads when you ask them a question. The arcade was crazy and had to be 100 degrees.
Overall we had a good time, the weather was beautiful, the water temp of the pools were warm and comfortable, and it was not very crowded. The negatives: water parks were closed, the new attractions were not ready
and our first night with non-working air sucked. Plus I learned that the 3 bedroom condos rate was down to $275 a night and the Wilderness policy does not credit you the difference.
We are thinking we are done with the Wilderness- might try something and somewhere different.

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2009

where to start, first off the condo that cost me more than $600.00 per night could of been up-kept a little (lot) more. not working list: stove, toaster, dvd player, alarm clock, key cards to access the room (on several occasions), carpet had very bad stains everywhere, upon checking in to the room toilet was flooded, sink did not drain properly, kitchen sink handle was broken, o yeah, almost forgot the shower door fell on one of my guests, getting towels for 14 people was like pulling teeth. this is just the first night, not enough room for the rest of the complaints. If you need to ask a question to anyone other than the front desk, dont bother unless you speak russian/chinese/indian (anything other than english). Usually we stay here once or twice a year and have a great time, the attitude that i got from the desk when i complained was as if i should have fixed the problems myself (friendly attitude, but cant do anything for you). I'm sure they do not care but they just lost this once loyal customer.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
blond49erfan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2009

We went to Wisconsin Dells for my sons basketball tournement over spring break. It was my first time ever to the Dell's. We got a 3 bedroom condo that we split with 2 other families! LOVED IT! Very clean. Everyone had there own bedroom with bathroom and shower and t v and then we had a living room and full sized kitchen and fireplace to share! It was wonderful! Everyone who worked there was helpful, polite and educated in reguards to there job! I would definatlely reccomend this to everyone. Since we were there in March the outdoor waterparks were closed but the indoor ones were great! Plenty of stuff for all ages. The basketball boys are 14 plus I have a 4 year old and a 2 year old. Everyone was happy!!!!

• Liked — EVERYTHING
  • Disliked — NOTHING
  • Stayed March 2009
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Wilderness Resort? Share your experiences!