“Fun Place for the Family - at any age!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Wilderness Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Wilderness Resort
You added Wilderness Resort to your Saves list
511 East Adams Street, Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Ranked #15 of 79 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Hanover Park, Illinois
“Fun Place for the Family - at any age!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Me (44 years old), my husband (46 years old), our son and his friend (13) and my in-laws (in their 70s) rented a 3 bedroom condo from 7/5/14 through 7/11/14. Can I just say - WOW! This condo was huge. Was more like a townhome if you ask me. We loved it. Very roomy, CLEAN, quiet, had our own parking lot/spots, and it was right by the hotel and close to everything. I loved jogging around the little "hill" in the middle of them all (where they have Tuesday movie night) and liked how serene it was every morning on my jog around the area. The water parks were clean, everything was very nice, and the people are beyond awesome. I had forgotten some speed boat tickets at home and my sister overnighted them to me at the hotel. I notified the staff and they called me when they showed up, which I thought was really nice. I got into a very fun conversation and strategized with the laser maze guy about how to beat the lasers (I did pretty good too for being an old woman! LOL!) and the lazer tag guy was pretty cool too. He let us play again after about 3/4 of the way in to our game, the game stopped for some reason. He just reset it and said go again! We ALWAYS had towels, soap, shampoo, tp, and kleenex brought to our condo ever day, whether we needed it or not. Got to be a joke with us on about the third day as to where we will find "the bag". I even rented a cabana at Lost World and can I say, that was extremely relaxing. I loved being able to be served poolside and catch some rays and be totally waited on. It was just what I needed!

Room Tip: We had a condo, and I'd say ask for the 199-200 rooms as they are closer to the hotel.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (454)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

The price was a little hefty but the overall experience made it worth it. I stayed for 2 nights with family and friends which wasn't enough time to visit all of the water parks (without rushing). Free all day water parks' passes are included with your stay. The location is very convenient to stores & restaurants. Shuttle buses are available to and from water parks. This is a great getaway for both couples with/without children.

recommended for several adults so the price is divided more than 2 ways

fyi (my party included: 7 adults, 8 children)

Chesterton, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

Rooms and waterparks were clean. Waterparks were great. Three to choose from. Outdoor and indoor parks. Ate at Monks..to the shuttle..very easy to use. Everything is easy to find. Loved the breakfast buffet. Staff was friendly. We had a great time..we will be back next year.

• Stayed July 2014
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We stayed at Glacier Canyon at the Wilderness Resort. We had a 3 bedroom suite (2 bath and kitchen). The rooms are clean and well updated. They wi-fi is only free for TWO devices and you can not switch devices while you are there. The MANY pools and activities are wonderful. The weather wasn't always great so the indoor parks were perfect. You really don't ever have to leave the complex. Our 2 and 4 year olds had a blast. Lots of small and big kid activities. We will be returning!

Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

My boyfriend and I thought we'd drive up to the Dells for a mini get-away over Memorial Day weekend. I've stayed at the Wilderness many years ago and I suppose I didn't remember it the same. I would not go back unless I had children to bring with, this was definitely not a relaxing stay. I'm more of an early bird, so being up at 8 in the morning and the water parks not opening until 10/11 am was definitely a downfall. The staff wasn't very friendly and our room wasn't ready until 5 pm the day or check in when check in time is typically 3 or 4 pm. Overall not very satisfied.

Stayed May 2014
Olathe, Kansas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

My family has gone to the Wilderness Resort in the Wisconsin Dells, WI and Sevierville, TN for the past 10 years. On July 10, 2014 at 9:15 pm, I took my children to the Goody Gum Drop Candy Shoppe at the Wilde West region of this Wilderness Resort. I have traveled plenty and understand I am paying an inflated amount at resorts for candy. The shop had 2 college students working and they were extremely rude. When they weighed my 3 small bags of candy they informed me that I owed $35. When I told them I didn't want one of the bags of candy they became rude me and snatched the bag and then practically threw my money back at me. I wanted to report this rudeness and the possibility that I was being overcharged for my purchase. I went to the hotel desk and requested to speak with management. I was told that this portion of the hotel did not have a manager on site, but I could respond to the New Frontier Region of the Resort and they would have a manager waiting. I missed the shuttle so had to walk across a huge parking lot to respond to another hotel desk at another portion of the resort. When I got there with my children there was no manager available. This is a HUGE Resort and all the employees I asked didn't seem to know who the supervisor was or how to get a hold of them. I finally went into a gift shop and managed to locate an employee who radioed a head supervisor named Emily Simmons. I was told to wait in the lobby and she would get with me. I then waited in the lobby for approximately 20 minutes. I finally went back into the gift shop to find her in the store. I asked her if she was the only supervisor on duty for a resort as big as this one. She said no I could find them every where. Unfortunately, none of the employees seemed to think this was true. I then explained the concerns I had for the Candy Shoppe and she informed me that Wilderness Resort is not responsible as this is a third party store. She didn't seemed concerned and then told me she would call me at 8:00 am the next morning with a disposition. I was fuming at this point and was irritated that a manager of this level could not resolve the problem at this time but I had to wait the next morning. I waited until 10:00 am and still no call from management. I called her office and discovered she was working but she was not in the office. I was told I could talk to her colleague. I spoke with a Joe in the office who told me that Emily was investigating this and would call me when they had a disposition. I informed Joe who I later discovered was her supervisor that a call letting me know this would have been appreciated. I told him an information/fraud report by the local police would have been faster. When I told him to just forget it and that I was just going to report these problems to TripAdvisor he said what can we do to make you happy. I was so irritated by this time that a head manager had to ask me how to resolve this issue. It is July 17, 2014 and I have not received any information regarding this incident. I will now be taking my business to Kalahari the other big resort in the Wisconsin Dells.

Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

We stayed here on a Tuesday–Wednesday–Thursday in July. Two adults and a 7-year-old. Everyone had a good time but I don’t think we will be back. One visit to the Dells may have been enough for us. There are a lot of other great places in this country to visit that are a better value. Here is my list of pros and cons.

Pros:
It’s impossible to be bored
Nice looking resort
Good location
We liked the “log cabin” décor of our room
Good shower pressure and plenty of hot water
All rooms have fridge, microwave, & coffee maker
Comfy beds & pillows
Our room was on the 3rd floor, had a balcony, and a water park view
With the exception of the outdoor water parks, everything can be accessed indoors via the Floor 2 walkways
Free parking
Free Wi-Fi
Free shuttle service
Most water parks have hot tubs
Plenty of lifeguards

Cons:
Refrigerator didn’t have a freezer
No in-room safe
No comforters on the beds (thin bedspreads and blankets only)
The A/C unit made weird noises
Not enough accessible electrical outlets in our room
No curved shower rod
Housekeeping made up our room after 4:00pm
Not enough light in the fridge/microwave/coffee area
Toilet paper was ultra cheap / thin
Huge amounts of people no matter where we were (even in the middle of the week)
Water parks were not very clean
The resort has a lot of things that cost extra money
Food was mediocre and restaurant service was very slow (Same experience with offsite restaurants)
All restaurants / eateries / shops / bars were terribly understaffed
Too big / too spread out / too much walking
We had to wait in line for 15 minutes prior to check-in
Room towels were small and thin
Towel cards and wristbands are required for water parks
Everything was overpriced (and we are experienced travelers)
The resort is too expensive for what you get
There were way too many unattended / unsupervised kids running amok

In closing, if you want non-stop action and tons of choices this place is for you. You are not likely to run out of things to do. I was a bit disappointed in the lack of contemporary amenities in our room, especially considering the high price they charge. And we seemed to have issues with slow service no matter where we were, even when visiting other parts of town. I would expect that on a weekend, but this was mid-week.

- Mr. Koozie

Room Tip: Go with the 3rd floor! 2nd floor has constant foot traffic. 1st floor has constant noise from the tr...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to Wilderness Resort? Share your experiences!