“Hot mess” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Wilderness Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Wilderness Resort
511 East Adams Street, Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Ranked #17 of 77 hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Munster, Indiana
“Hot mess”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

My family has stayed here many times. There rooms are decently (and I use this term loosely, seeing that it is still much overpriced, as is everything in the Dells) priced. We have stayed inside the hotel rooms, in a large condo on the golf course, and also in the cabins, about 5 minutes away from the actual hotel.

This last stay we were in the cabins. The room was cheap. Period. Chairs were broken, the televisions were ancient, the bunk beds were slopped and misshapen, the rooms smelled like mildew. This was just the short list. The cabin was not cheap either.

The outdoor water parks are fun; there is definitely a lot to do. The areas are kept clean.

Room Tip: If you can get the off season, try the condos on the golf course. They are big and quiet, but still...

1,711 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (404)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012 via mobile

We reserved a cabin this weekend. The place is beautiful and looked very clean. We were having a BBQ and I went to get some plates. When I opened the cabinet a roach came out. I died and.screamed for my husband. After that we seen them everywhere. Bathrooms, by the trash can I'm kitchen, by a mirror. It was gross!! We took pictures and recorded them and where we seen them coming from and hiding. If you happen to go to this place.and this happens I suggest u do the same. They will act like they are clueless and need proof. They said this has never happened. It's clear thats a lie. Anyways were nice about it they.gave us a.new room. Half our money back. And a discount on our next stay. Since this cabin was privately owned they could not give us a full refund. We have a lot of little kids. It sucked moving them while sleeping to another room but on the plus side it was only 2 cabins away and roach free. We had a great time besides that.

• Stayed June 2012
Norway, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

I love this place. The lazy river with a slide is my favorite. The rooms and grounds are beautiful. My daughter has enjoyed it at every age. I would love to go again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
La Porte IN
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

My family and I take heart to reading these reviews. We understand that the only way truly to get the experience is to go there yourself. Well, we should have REALLY taken to heart the reviews. Great place just, not for a family with young ones. Walking...a lot of walking to each water-park. Don't get me wrong walking is just lovely but, the amount of time spent walking you could be enjoying the water-park or another activity with your family. Upon check in there was a lot of information given to us all at once. There was nothing about the noise control after a certain time. First night the noise didn't stop in till 2am. You can hear all kinds of guest walking, running down the hallway. Very loud, especially the guest above us! The second night it continued throughout the night. Lack of sleep, for each family member. This place truly doesn't have it together (no control) over the guest. Especially when we seen first hand three women come out of there room, falling over. They were drunk, laughing and sloshing there drinks. The life guards are truly rude to young ones. My husband watched a young boy get yelled at over just, a little thing. All the life guard did was yell at him and make him feel belittled. The amount of time they put into the ads they need to take that money and put it into the indoor water park areas. There is not a safe place for a toddler to play. Everything is opened up so, if you want to keep a close eye on your toddler good luck! There going run around and get into everything. At Great Wolf Lodge they took heart to parents with young ones by creating a enclosed "gated " play area! The water was cold and uncomfortable. You walk everywhere looking at maps and signs. Which get confusing because half of the stuff they have isn't on either the map or signs. Suppose to be a family place try more like a night club that keeps on serving drinks for adults. Very disappointed at this resort. All the hype about the new addition of new water slides, and the zip line. Which you better donate your kidney or blood because your going to have to pay for each additional " fun activity ". The arcade room half of the games are not working, or need maintenance. Staff isn't very friendly and lack of help. The Wild Canyon Cafe (Buffet) is a great idea since the kids eat free with a paid purchase of adult meal but, it is a little pricey. Monks at the Wilderness DOES NOT have the " best burgers in town " go to Moose Jaw and have a tasty burger. Monks was a big ...huge disappointment. If your looking to bring a little Wilderness home with you good luck. Lack of items to keep as memories unless your happy with buying a bathing suit. Seriously all they had was bathing suits, t-shirts, sweatshirts, girly things, over priced stuff animals. Where are the picture frames, photo albums, different variety of stuff animals. The only thing good about this vacation was the giggle and laughter that came from our seven year old playing at the Wild West Water Park and finally check-out! He was happy to get out of this place. IF you decide to go your wasting time and money.......at the Wilderness........Next time our trip will be at Great- Wolf Lodge were we will be having a Howling good time!!!!

Room Tip: Your car...you'll get a peaceful night there better than your room!
Green Bay, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

First of all this place is great for kids and adults in every one of the parks. slides and pools that range from small for my 5 year old, the bigger slides for my 10 year old, and some big thrill rides for older kids and adults. Yes the park is big but if you are too fat and LAZY to walk a hundred yards or so to get from one park to another then STAY HOME. The hotel rooms are just like any other hotel room I ever stayed in. I don't know why people complain about the rooms. We enjoyed the parks and arcades instead of sitting in our room. We woke up in the morning went to the buffet for breakfast then went to the water parks until they closed then after we got a bite to eat we went to the arcade until bedtime. When you spend that much money for a water park why are you sitting in your room anyway.

P.S. I could hear one couple yelling at the front desk staff because they booked a room for their honeymoon and were complaining about the number of kids around and noise. Can you believe how stupid some people be.

The only cons I can think of are the water in the wave pool tasted kind of bad when it splashed in your face. The only other thing is all the indoor slides are dark. You can't see any thing while going down. Still a lot of fun.
We are going again the first week of July and plan on going back again and again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012 via mobile

We paid $150 total for 2 adults and 3 kids under 11 to stay one night in the hotel and two days of the water park. Once you check in, you can use the water parks. You also get to use them all day the day you check out. We went from 3pm day 1 until 12:30 the next day. In June, lines were short so we had gone on every water slide multiple times. The Hurricane is the best slide, but it had by far the longest line and it is a short ride. They had a pass for zip lines, bumper boats, etc, but it was unnecessary for our short stay. You would need something else to do for longer stays. Busy times with longer lines you could get away with a two night stay without it, but the third night stay is pushing it. Buy it before arrival for a discount. Slide attendants were mostly eastern Europeans with limited English. It did not matter much, but directions sometimes needed to be asked to two or three different people. The restaurant buffet is expensive and the food is just ok. It is convenient and good for kids since there is lots of choices they like. We went there for dinner and breakfast. If it were just my wife and I, we would not have gone there at all. It is a lots of average food kind of place. Stay on 1st or 3rd floor since 2nd is the pedestrian walkway everywhere (the highway). You will be asked to go to a Wyndham timeshare presentation. In short, great family short stay option. We would do it again.

• Stayed June 2012
chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

My five and six year old had a blast here. We went to a different waterpark area each day. I loved that each water park has something for everyone (pools to swim in, some with basketball hoops, hot tubs, big slides, jr. slides, infant swings and playthings, lazy rivers). A favorite was the Wild West Indoor play park. It is a large WET playground. You will get soaked on your way up to the slides! I highly reccommend life jackets for the little ones. I am so glad we brought ours. The water is only 10 inches in the kid playground area but when they wanted to hop in the lazy river, swim in a deeper pool (most are 3-4 feet) or check out the wave pool I was much more comfortable knowing they were in them. We flipped over in the wave pool...
Everything was very clean. Our room was cleaned daily. The pool areas were kept nice as well. There were lifeguards everywhere. Wherever there was water, there was a lifeguard. I totally took advantage of room charging. I didn't carry my wallet with me at all. If the kids wanted lunch poolside or to play in the arcade I just charged it to my room. Very convenient. Adults, I would reccomment the Lost World outdoor water park. They have 3 or 4 bars out there (that you can smoke at if you're a smoker) and an 18 and older hot tub. The other hot tubs I saw were age 6 and older.The lazy river is cool over there as well. It has a small slide and a moving ramp/bridge. My son loved the Northern Lighs Arcade. It's like a mini Vegas for kids.
We enjoyed the breakfast buffet at Wild Canyon Cafe. The food was fresh and delicious even late in the morning.
They say kids eat free...just read the fine print ;) I would love if they had an all inclusive option where meals were included as well.
We had a fabulous time and look forward to returning.

Room Tip: We were on the top floor (3rd floor) and it was very quiet with no footsteps above us. We were also...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Wilderness Resort? Share your experiences!