“Just a Great time” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Wilderness Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Wilderness Resort
Save Saved
You added Wilderness Resort to your Saves list
511 East Adams Street, Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Ranked #15 of 78 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Chicago, Illinois
“Just a Great time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2011

I am very meticulous about staying at hotels and so days before going to Wisconsin Dells. I read reviews, asked other friends and family for their recommendation and lastly did my search for hotels with reported bedbugs. Well I chose the "Wilderness Hotel & Golf Resort" and I am happy I did. I even had to call the manager to voice my happiness. Upon my arrival I was checked in by David and he was most patient and welcoming (trust me I have paid more for hotel stays in Las Vegas and New York and was met by horrible customer service). I had booked online and submitted in my comment for a particular area in the hotel and floor level and got what I requested! The water park was clean and so was the room (absolutely no bed bugs)! For those who complain about the walk from the different water park, get over it. Its not like you have to run a 5k to get to them. They also have a shuttle just in case you are allergic to a little walk. I took my 2 children (age 11 & 13), we had a wonderful time. Please stop in at the Wild Canyon Cafe for their breakfast is was delicious and the fruits was most fresh. This trip did not break my budget and actually I went back home to Chicago with $115 not spent. Just an FYI, I filled up on gas before leaving Wisconsin at $3.68 gal! I am already planning a trip back for Memorial Weekend with 12 more family members and friends, I have guaranteed them an awesome time! Go-Karts should be open by then.

Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (442)
Surprise, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2011

I was almost debating cancelling our trip after reading some of the reviews posted here, but I'm SO glad I didn't! We had a great time! Stats: We traveled with kids ages 12, 9, 8, 6, and 8 months. We stayed in the Glacier Canyon building, in a 2 BR Deluxe unit. We arrived Monday evening and checked out Thursday morning.

Our check-in experience was flawless. We were running late, so I called to ensure our room would be held (I've heard horror stories at other hotels!) and they said it was no problem. When we arrived, around 8:30 pm, Alex helped me check-in. He was very polite and friendly, and made me feel welcome. He explained everything thoroughly, including pointing out items on the map that I'd need to know. He directed me to the "concierge" desk for a coupon book - these are the timeshare people. They were not high-pressure, though - I got a coupon book and was given their info if I had questions.

There were luggage carts readily available when we got to the door of our building, but the door itself was unsecured, which was disconcerting - it didn't appear they ever locked. There were, however, cameras in every area of the property, which made me feel better. The hallways were well-lit, smelled fresh, and perfectly clean. Our room was the same - absolutely spotless. Every towel corner folded, every bed corner tucked, not a spot or crumb or bug anywhere. We loved having the bunk beds and murphy bed for the kids. The master bedroom was smaller than pictured - our pack-n-play BARELY fit between the end of the bed and the wall, and there was only 2-3 ft of space on either side of the bed. The linens were beautiful - a nice down comforter in a soft duvet with an earth-tone paisley pattern; not the typical scratchy polyester bedspread! All the beds had soft fleece blankets, as well, and soft pillows with high-thread-count soft sheets. The linens were lovely! The master bed mattress was very very firm, to the point where I think it would've been uncomfortable for more than a few nights, but I also prefer a very soft cushy mattress! We loved having the kitchen in our unit - the appliances were sparkling and high-quality (a 4-slice stainless & black Cuisinart toaster, for example) much nicer than typical hotel room cheap white appliances. The dishes, cups, silverware, etc. was all stocked, clean, and ready to go. We learned later that the dishwasher was quite noisy, so we didn't run it when anyone was sleeping, but the benefit of having it far outweighed the noise. The bathrooms were also sparkling and fresh. I was expecting much worse, having read the comments, but honestly I didn't see one speck of dirt or trash during our entire stay, and I was looking for it! The entire property was immaculately clean and smelled fresh.

As everyone else mentions, Yes, it is a lot of Walking to get around the property. We didn't use the shuttles, which I'll admit we probably should have. I wouldn't have minded the walking much if there were more amenities, open longer hours, in each building. For example, the night we arrived, the only food venue still open was Survivor's, which was a far walk from our room. Also, it seemed like all of the offerings were the same - each place had the standard burgers, fries, some chicken sandwiches, maybe a couple salads, and that's it. Most resorts now have different themed restaurants with corresponding cuisine. Yes, they have Sarento's, but that is off-site and not very convenient to access. We ate at the buffet for one breakfast and one dinner. It was sufficient, especially with Kids Eat Free, but nothing to write home about. At the waterpark we were tempted to have dinner in their cafe, until we saw that a burger - by itself, not cooked to order, plain, and pre-wrapped sitting under a heat lamp - was $6-7 or more, fries another $3 (for a small basket, also under a heat lamp), soda another $3, etc. We went up to Survivor's, where Randi took care of us. She was AWESOME, she made us feel so welcome. We had cooked-to-order burgers, fries, toppings, and sodas with free refills for about $12 for the adults and $4.99 a kids meal for the kids. I had the sizzling teriyaki sirloin, which was Excellent. It had lower lighting and was nice and quiet.

Speaking of quiet - we were delighted by the lack of crowding everywhere we went. The skyways, for example, were busy, but we heard zero hallway noise at night (we were up on 4th floor), and we never had to wait for a table at any restaurant. The wait for waterslides was non-existent - my husband said even The Hurricane was no more than 5 minutes wait. For the most part, all the other guests were respectful, and we didn't see many unattended kids in any part of the hotel. I was very impressed when, upon getting separated from two of our boys (they followed the wrong family in a crowded hallway and turned when we went straight), one found a security guard, who got a description of the other and radio'd on his walkie-talkie, gave the description, asked them to scan the security cameras, and, within seconds, located the other missing child.

Our kids tried every waterslide, played both indoor mini-golf courses, walked through the Haunted Hotel & Mirror Maze, played Laser Tag, did Bumper Boats, did the rubber duck races at the Wild Kids Club, played in the Timberland indoor play park, had ice cream at Pistol Pete's, and played at every arcade. They thoroughly enjoyed everything!

My husband and I did succumb to the tempting offers of the timeshare people and sat through a presentation. It wasn't bad at all, not high-pressure. It did go longer than they said it would, and when we said no to the initial offer, we were taken to "quality control" for a survey, where they gave us a much better offer (we still didn't accept, just for personal reasons). We got the gift promised us and were on our way, no problems.

Due to the timing of the presentation and it cutting it close to checkout, I called that morning and asked for a late checkout, which they were able to accommodate. All of my interactions with staff members were great - they were very polite and friendly.

Overall, we'll likely return. If they changed up the restaurants and made things a little more accessible, it would definitely sweeten the deal!

Room Tip: I would recommend a room on the 4th floor
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Muskego, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2011

What a great time, the Wilderness is a wonderful place for family members of all ages. The staff is welcoming, friendly and helpful. When checking in the person informed me which indoor water park The Wild West would be best for my little children. Ages 10 months and 3years old. She also informed me and which would be fun for my teenage niece 13.
We asked about early check in and were luck enough to get it as our room was ready. (If not you can still enjoy the water park and get notified via text or a call when your room is ready.)
Our room was clean and spacious, we had a room with two queen beds and a pull out sofa. I love the fact there are frigs and microwaves in the rooms. If you are exhausted after a day of enjoy the activities at the resort, water slides and game room. You are able to order food at a restaurant on site Sarento's at a reasonable price and delivered right to your room. The selection is great and the food is good. The breakfast buffet at Wild Canyon Cafe is reasonable priced and has several food selections for all ages.
I think it is awesome that you are able to enjoy the water parks after checking out of the hotel at 11:00am. They offer lockers and changing area's at each in door water park area.
My husband and I who are in our mid 30's had a great time on the water rides, we both enjoyed the Hurricane. The wave pool was a good time, and the fact you are able to still enjoy the natural sun shine through the roof is a major plus.
I can't wait to plan our trip this summer when the outdoor parks are open. Looking forward to trying out the golf course.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2011

We've been away from the Wilderness for a few years, and were very happy with our return during recent spring break visit. The rooms are still the same - nothing fancy but nice and clean. The Wild Waterdome was great - spent all day there one of the days. Splurged on the cabana; pricey but worth it. The cabana staff was excellent. All 3 indoor waterparks are fun for different reasons. Go early and get the most for your money. Check in before your room is ready and get to the water. Yes, there is walking but plan your day and it's fine. Kids (12 and 18) went on the new Zipline. A bit expensive, but they said it was fun; the staff was excellent. Had a great lunch at Survivors Bar & Grille. They call for a car to pick up for the Sundara Spa just up the road. The entire hotel is clean and we felt safe.

Room Tip: Pick one indoor waterpark to be closest for room
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2011

I have been here many times, with family and friends and I'm always happy with my stay.

We mainly come for the indoor waterparks, but they offer more than that. In the winter months they offer horse carriage rides and snow tubing. The carriage rides are free, but the snow tubing costs a few dollars per person. We had a blast.

There are also several ski/snow boarding places nearby too. We have done that on previous trips, too.

They only negatives would be that it is quite pricey to stay, but if you get a few friends to come to split the price it is quite reasonable then. And the waterpark areas are usually pretty crowded, but much better then an outdoor waterpark in the summer!

It is very family orientated, but a young or old couple wouldn't feel out of place.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2011

My husband and I took our 10 year old daughter for a three night stay at the end of October. We've been to the Kalahari and the Great Wolf before; one of my coworkers highly recommended the Wilderness, saying her family loves it and they go there all of the time, so we thought we would give it a try.

We arrived about 2pm to find no where to park that was anywhere close to the front desk. We pulled in, and my husband made the 10 minute walk to the desk. He reappeared 1 hr. and 50 minutes later with our wristbands, but had been told our room wouldn't be gavailable until 4pm. Because he had waited in line so long, 4pm was only 10 minutes away. He walked back to the front desk, and reappeared 30 minutes later, room key in hand.

We had a standard room. To say it was disgusting would be an understatement. There was mold growing in the corer of the bathroom, and the room itself was very dark and tired feeling. I pulled the bedspread back on one of the beds to lie down for a quick nap while my husband took our daughter to one of the waterparks, and found three black bugs between the sheets...ugh. I called the front desk three times in an hour's time before they sent someone to the room. The young man stated he would have a housekeeper come and reclean the room when I showed him the bugs and the mold. Changing to a different room wasn't possible because they were full. When I told him we would not be staying in that room and I wanted a refund, he stated he wasn't authorized to approve that. When my daughter and husband returned from the waterpark 30 minutes later (my daughter said "It's too crowded there to have any fun", we reloaded our van and left. We ended up checking into a wonderful "mom and pop" motel in the Dells, and going to the Kalahari for swimming/arcade fun. We had such a good time, and the motel was so reasonable and sooooooooo much cleaner that we're staying there again this summer instead of one of the big resorts. If you enjoy crowds, long lines, bugs and terrible customer service, stay at the Wilderness.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Waukesha, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2011

We have been coming to this hotel and Waterpark for a few years now with our little boy. We always have a good time. Rooms are clean and service is great. Food and other anemities are a little pricey on the resort, but this is the price you pay if you don't want to venture off the premises.
We have stayed on weekends and during the week, and I must say,, the weekends get extremely packed! All 3 waterparks are usually wall to wall with people with usually no place to sit. We have learned to come during the week for a much more enjoyable time and cheaper stay!!!!

My only other complaint, is the distance between some of the onsite waterparks, but this is tolerable. :-)

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family

Been to Wilderness Resort? Share your experiences!