“Great weekend getaway” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Wilderness Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Wilderness Resort
You added Wilderness Resort to your Saves list
511 East Adams Street, Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965   |
Ranked #11 of 73 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Chicago, Illinois
“Great weekend getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2011

I have been here many times, with family and friends and I'm always happy with my stay.

We mainly come for the indoor waterparks, but they offer more than that. In the winter months they offer horse carriage rides and snow tubing. The carriage rides are free, but the snow tubing costs a few dollars per person. We had a blast.

There are also several ski/snow boarding places nearby too. We have done that on previous trips, too.

They only negatives would be that it is quite pricey to stay, but if you get a few friends to come to split the price it is quite reasonable then. And the waterpark areas are usually pretty crowded, but much better then an outdoor waterpark in the summer!

It is very family orientated, but a young or old couple wouldn't feel out of place.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2011

My husband and I took our 10 year old daughter for a three night stay at the end of October. We've been to the Kalahari and the Great Wolf before; one of my coworkers highly recommended the Wilderness, saying her family loves it and they go there all of the time, so we thought we would give it a try.

We arrived about 2pm to find no where to park that was anywhere close to the front desk. We pulled in, and my husband made the 10 minute walk to the desk. He reappeared 1 hr. and 50 minutes later with our wristbands, but had been told our room wouldn't be gavailable until 4pm. Because he had waited in line so long, 4pm was only 10 minutes away. He walked back to the front desk, and reappeared 30 minutes later, room key in hand.

We had a standard room. To say it was disgusting would be an understatement. There was mold growing in the corer of the bathroom, and the room itself was very dark and tired feeling. I pulled the bedspread back on one of the beds to lie down for a quick nap while my husband took our daughter to one of the waterparks, and found three black bugs between the sheets...ugh. I called the front desk three times in an hour's time before they sent someone to the room. The young man stated he would have a housekeeper come and reclean the room when I showed him the bugs and the mold. Changing to a different room wasn't possible because they were full. When I told him we would not be staying in that room and I wanted a refund, he stated he wasn't authorized to approve that. When my daughter and husband returned from the waterpark 30 minutes later (my daughter said "It's too crowded there to have any fun", we reloaded our van and left. We ended up checking into a wonderful "mom and pop" motel in the Dells, and going to the Kalahari for swimming/arcade fun. We had such a good time, and the motel was so reasonable and sooooooooo much cleaner that we're staying there again this summer instead of one of the big resorts. If you enjoy crowds, long lines, bugs and terrible customer service, stay at the Wilderness.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank RNMom2Two
Waukesha, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2011

We have been coming to this hotel and Waterpark for a few years now with our little boy. We always have a good time. Rooms are clean and service is great. Food and other anemities are a little pricey on the resort, but this is the price you pay if you don't want to venture off the premises.
We have stayed on weekends and during the week, and I must say,, the weekends get extremely packed! All 3 waterparks are usually wall to wall with people with usually no place to sit. We have learned to come during the week for a much more enjoyable time and cheaper stay!!!!

My only other complaint, is the distance between some of the onsite waterparks, but this is tolerable. :-)

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Moline, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2011

I am a single mom who took 3 teenage girls 15 and 18. They had a great time and I did too! It was VERY crowded, but I that's what I expected. Halls were noisy at night, but that's what I expected. Food and drinks were overpriced, but that's what I expected. I thought the check-in was easy. They do send you to concierge to get coupon book...they, in turn, try and get you to come to time share. I was not with a "husband" so we didn't get the high-pressure pitch! Our room was very nice....nothing fancy, but nice and clean. We were on the 3rd floor and it was noisy until about midnight, so I can't imagine how noisy the second level would be. We only did the waterparks...none of the other attractions. MY favorite was the wave pool area...felt more open and less crowded. Girls LOVED the hurricane and funnel slide. We did eat at Sarento's---very good Italian food...not cheap, but nice and well done. If you go with the right attitude, I can't imagine anyplace nicer in the Dells. Loved the outlet mall too!

Pontiac, il
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2011

We made some last minute reservations for spring break, March 23rd to the 25th and were booked in a 2 bedroom room at the very end of the Glacier Canyon Lodge. The room was beautiful! Very clean. Nicely set up. We really loved the room. The problem starts when you want to go do something. We decided to walk the first time. Goodness, what a walk! Not very scenic either, you get to stare at hotel room after hotel room to get to anything fun. Once to the water parks, they were pretty neat, although crowded. It was spring break for us, though, to be fair. Water was decently warm in 2 of the 3 water parks we visited. The one with the lazy river was so cold I decided not to go in. That was disappointing. My daughter was shivering. Not something I'd expect at an indoor water park. The water parks were very clean.

My biggest issue was the distance to everything. This resort appears to actually be 4 hotels linked together by a little sky walk. If you're at one of the far ends it's a LONG walk that you will not do more than once. We started to take the trolley, which was nice. However, since it was 30 degrees out we had to get dressed in our coats, etc to go outside to get on the trolley. Then at the water park you'd have to go into the locker room to get your suit on. The locker rooms has NO changing rooms. I'm not a fan of getting naked in front of people so I used a bathroom stall. Ick.

Everything was expensive, as you'd expect at a place like this. A little cup of ice cream was 4.99. The mirror maze that lasted 5 minutes was 8.99. Etc.

Over all the place was clean, but way too much walking and trolleying. I felt exhausted before I even got to where I wanted to go. I probably won't visit this place again unless it's summer time and the outdoor water parks are open to spread out the people.

Des Plaines, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2011

We have gone to the Wilderness for several years now. We have had good experiences with this hotel in the past, but on our most recent trip, we found we were disappointed. The pools were crowded and smelled terrible and everything was overpriced.
To feed a family at one of the restaurants in the resort costs a minor fortune We rent one of the villas with a full kitchen so we can save on the cost of the food by cooking ourselves.
We always bring our wii so the children can play while the adults get to relax in the room. This year, we found that they have disabled the wii hook up. If you want to play video games, you can pay to play the nintendo games they have.
After this last trip, we have decided we will not be returning.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Minneapolis, MN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2011

We've stayed at most of the larger indoor water parks in the Wisconsin Dells area, and Wilderness does not compare favorably to most of them. We had very mixed feelings about our stay -- there was certainly some fun, but also lots of costs and several other issues. What we enjoyed: the arcades had very good choices for all ages, so our kids had a nice time playing games and winning tickets; the rooms were clean and laid out nicely for our purposes; the Wild Canyon breakfast buffet was above average; the 3D mini-golf was very fun. What we didn't care for: the water park layout, the crowdedness, the behavior of the crowd, the costs, and the timeshare pressuring. The design of Wilderness is not ideal -- there are 3 separate relatively small water parks, one of which is quite a hike from the other 2. They offer shuttles to all areas of the hotel, but let's face it - no one really wants to wait for a shuttle in wet bathing suits in the winter. The other choice is to hike it, which most folks do, but it's really quite a ways to walk (again, in wet bathing suits in the winter). We were surprised at the relatively small sizes of the water parks and the lazy river -- we had expected it to be much larger (and it would be if all of the water park square footage was together; splitting it into 3 separate spaces is NOT an improvement). Because of the large crowds, it was a 40 minute wait to ride the hurricane slide each day -- too long. And the lazy river was so crowded that there wasn't much relaxation to be had there. It felt like tubing the Apple River on the 4th of July -- huge numbers of teens and young adults, mostly drinking, using language that wasn't really appropriate for the younger patrons to hear. We're not huge prudes about it and we know that our kids will hear those words at water parks, but we were surprised at the large amount of poor behavior we encountered -- more than at other water parks we've been to. We were also surprised by the prices -- everything is about 15-30% more expensive than most other water parks. For example, $7 for a fast-food cheeseburger seems excessive. For that price, at least throw in fries instead of charging $3 more for them. And the cheapest ice cream cone is $5? Really? The haunted mine and mirror maze was fun, but not a deal at $9 - better to spend $17 to get admission to the haunted mine and mirror maze, the 2 mini-golf courses, some arcade credits and the bumper boars.

The real bummer, though, is the timeshare pitch, which we got 3 times in 2 days. They want you to attend the presentation, and they will offer you as much as $300 to do it -- but you have to sit through the high-pressure pitch on the timeshares. We didn't do it -- even $300 isn't compensation enough for sitting through that. We felt like we were in Cancun getting the hard sell, and really, once is enough -- we don't need to be pitched repeatedly. I just read an article about 5 luxury items never to buy, and number 1 on the list was timeshares. Getting hammered 3 times just made the place feel cheap -- despite the high prices.

1 Thank fkaJames